First Post

Discussion in 'SOF Mentor Program' started by TLDR20, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Marauder06

Marauder06 Intel Enabler Administrator

SSMP:
    Support Mentor
    If you go the ROTC route, you're most likely not going to be a cryptologic linguist. That's an enlisted specialty, if you become an officer you'll most likely have to wait a while for any kind of language or crypto training.

2. lindy

lindy Verified SOF Support

Awesome. Second choice. Splendid.

Why is MI the Rodney Dangerfield of MOSes?

3. TLDR20

TLDR20 Special Forces Moderating Staff

SSMP:
    SOF Mentor
    I feel the same way.

4. Jay

Jay Member

I know how to stand on my own two feet just fine. I have faith and confidence in myself and my abilities. At the end of the day the only thing stopping me from achieving my goal is me. You don't have to understand where I am coming from and I don't expect you to. My faith drives me day in and day out. If I commit to anything, if I give my word, I stand by it. I will find out if I am SOF material or not at some point, and I am going to prepare myself the best way I can, by learning as much as possible and pushing myself every day in training. Until I get there I am simply here to learn.

In all seriousness, I appreciate the encouragement and any advice given, because I have no experience on these matters. But, I will not change who I am for anything, especially regarding my belief's. I'm not going to be fake and pretend that I'm the hardest guy alive or that I'm not going to look to God when times are tough, regardless of the situation. It's what I do, it's who I am. SOF or not.

5. pardus

pardus Moderating Staff

OK, Have fun.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Freefalling

Freefalling Signal Administrator

A word in general for you new guys: What is the deal with the military, especially SOF, as some type of OJT for Phase II in life? Do you know if you enlisted to be an air traffic controller, completed training, did the job for how many ever years and then left thinking the FAA will hire you....you'd be screwed because the FAA isn't taking prior service ATC guys and gals? Whoopsie! Do you know how many high speed computer and radio types AREN'T working for a three letter agency or one of the Big 6 defense contractors? How many MP/ Security Forces/ Master at Arms types AREN'T civilian LEOs right now?

Look, do what you want, but don't enlist thinking that x number of years as a SEAL, Ranger, Ninja, or whatever means that every door will be open to you. Just doing x or y doesn't mean that your phone will ring or anyone will care about your resume. You can look ahead, and you should, but you can load the deck in your favor and the House can still hit 21, you know?

• Like Like x 3
  7. TLDR20

SSMP:
    SOF Mentor
    I can second this. I have a crazy resume for FP but haven't gotten a call back from a single EP job.

• Like Like x 1
  8. policemedic

policemedic Verified SWAT

You certainly sound like an honorable and principled man, and I respect that. A couple of things stood out in your post that I wanted to address. I stay out of SOF threads, as I prefer to stay in my lane, but what I'm going to ask isn't SOF-specific.

You're interested in the PJs due to their CSAR mission. The first letter stands for combat. PJs save lives, which appears to be your calling. But PJs also kill people. Have you considered the reality that if selected and deployed, you will have to take life in order to preserve life? This is the lot of any combat medic, be they conventional or SOF.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Tropicana98

Tropicana98 Ranger Verified SOF

To answer this question I don't really care about after I serve. I just want to get to Regiment,be an NCO there, and show future batt boys the way after that is irrelevant to me.

10. pardus

pardus Moderating Staff

Rather ambitious don't you think? Guess you missed the whole 25M thing... :rolleyes:

11. Lukas Kelly

Lukas Kelly Unverified

That's unfortunate. I thought I had read that there was an officer version of that. Looking at the jobs they do have, I'm split between two for right now, until I find more info on the careers. In the end, both would lead to me using my GI bill to continue my education, and to get an MBA to start working into business, preferably in the international sector. The two fields I'm split between right now are Security Forces officer because of family tradition(My Grandfather was an MP, my mom works for them as a civilian, and my father and uncles were almost all civilian police officers) or Intelligence Officer because I'd be good at it, and I'd at least be supporting our guys who are in combat.

12. Freefalling

Freefalling Signal Administrator

Your first post, I snipped out the irrelevant parts:
    Look...I don't like to be an Internet Tough Guy because that's not me, but seriously.....have you lost your mind? What do you want to be next? An elephant trainer? Post #1 has STO, then you doing Intel work, and then you're back to being a STO.

In and of itself that is troubling, but then we have Post #2 where STO isn't even mentioned but now you want to be a Security Forces officer or Intel?

So in the span of a few HOURS you have chosen 3 different primary career fields and one alternate. Not one single soul on this board is going to take you seriously when you are talking nonsense like this. I won't even touch upon the "I'd be good at it" part of the post because that's just...arrogant beyond words.

Good luck with whatever it is you think you might want to do.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Tropicana98

I didn't I swear been doing a little drinking tonight...my apologies.

14. Tropicana98

Meant to quote this along with my response.

15. TLDR20

SSMP:
    SOF Mentor
    Fucking no go!

16. Marauder06

Marauder06 Intel Enabler Administrator

SSMP:
    Support Mentor
    There are officer career paths in which you could receive language training and/or do crypto, but they're not entry-level. Generally speaking, when you start off as a young officer, let's say intel, chances are you're going to be put in a "vanilla" leadership position as a tactical intelligence officer, for which there is no language requirement. At about the time you make 1LT(P) or captain, you can go the Foreign Area Officer route, try out for Special Forces, or compete for one of the "spooky" MI units which has a language training requirement. There are also additional skill training for officers like the Junior Officer Career Cryptologic Program, and the 35G SIGINT officer course. There are also units in which you could do crypto in language, but that's far down the road for you and we're not going to go into that here.

There are lots of options, but if all you want to do is crypto and have guaranteed language training, you might want to think about enlisting.

If your long-term goals include an MBA, here's a possible career path for you. Do ROTC, major in something language-related since that seems to be what you're interested in, get commissioned as an officer (doesn't matter what branch, but military intel is a good field ;) ), do an outstanding job as a company-grade officer, after a successful company command try out for advanced civil schooling, earn your MBA, return to the force where you can put those business skills to use, and have a long and productive career serving your country.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Jay

Jay Member

Well it's something that I've had to consider being that it's the military, it's something that every single recruit must consider, regardless of MOS. So to answer your question, I will do whatever I have to do to complete the mission. Taking a life is not what bothers me(I have never been in the situation, it doesn't bother me because I simply don't know due to no experience). Leaving a man behind does. My entire life I have been brought up by one principal. God, Country, Family and to protect and/or stand up for those who cant do it for themselves. At the end of the day, if that's what it takes to save a fellow country man, brother in arms, or ally, I'll do so. There are sheep, and there are wolves. We need sheep dogs.

Side note, I've decided to enlist in the Navy as a Corpsman, volunteer for FMF and potentially SARC.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Lukas Kelly

Lukas Kelly Unverified

What? Someone told me that crypto linguists are an enlisted specialty, and that it probably wouldn't work as a back up. So, I reassessed and narrowed it down to two different alternates in plac of a crypto linguist. Neither of those are my primary, and I thought that was clear because we were discussing back-up plans

I've never actually thought about doing international business for the military. But now that I think about it, that sounds like a pretty good route for either back up plan, or after I retire from AFSOF.

19. TLDR20

SSMP:
    SOF Mentor
    I thought you want to be a security guard?

20. Lukas Kelly

Lukas Kelly Unverified

As a back-up, either Security Forces Officer or Intelligence Officer. But he was suggesting for after I get out after awhile serving, and use the GI bill to get my MBA. I had thought about doing international business in the private sector, but he was suggesting instead of doing it in the private sector, re-join the military and do it for them.