First Post

Discussion in 'SOF Mentor Program' started by TLDR20, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Freefalling

Freefalling Signal Administrator

"International business for the military?" You are lost, Lukas. Skill sets from an MBA can/ are used for leading units, but your posts, all of them, read like you are struggling to stay afloat. To REALLY put an MBA to use in the military you'd become a contracting officer and help guys like me afford our Ferraris and orphan blood martinis.

You want to be a STO? Clean your appointment books, clean your slate, sweep all of it off to the side and focus upon that like a laser. Forget an MBA or a language or anything that doesn't help you become a STO; Hell, anything that doesn't help you become selected to begin the STO Pipeline.

A backup plan is great, know that a 50m target is out there, but if your goal is XXXX then work towards that, not where you want to be in 10 years. I've seen..."a few" guys like you wrap themselves around the axle with all of their plans and goals and dreams and then fail. They say it won't happen to them. They are smart, hard-working, yada, yada, yada.....but they fail because some jobs in the military require a laser, not a Lite-Brite.

For that matter, even the not-so-elite jobs require dedication. You know how many Security Forces airmen are there because they failed out of the various Comm schools at Keesler?

Good luck.

2. Lukas Kelly

Lukas Kelly Unverified

Alright then. I had been talking about it because people were questioning my back-up plan, but you have a point.

3. TLDR20

TLDR20 Special Forces Moderating Staff

SSMP:
    SOF Mentor
    You are in High School kid. Go get laid, get in trouble, play sports, get laid some more, then see where your goals are after 2 more years of High School and 4 years of college. You are talking about things that are really at least 10 years away, you have no idea what you are going to be like then. You may not want it anymore in that long. Shit you may go to college and end up a liberal military hating mofo. On top of all of this, what if the military doesn't want you. Big cuts coming in the future. And you prolly aren't as awesome as you think. Your posts come across as horribly arrogant. It bothers me. Look back through the posts in this sub-forum. I am here to help but you are so scrambled up that I don't even know where to begin.

• Like Like x 1
  4. SkrewzLoose

SkrewzLoose Something Clever Verified Military

Holy crap. I didn't mean to stir up a shit storm with a question about a back up plan.
    Lukas, you're what, 16 right now? And you're having a lot of info thrown your way by guys with myriad experiences in their respective "big" military branch and SOF units as well. Start reading here and letting the information sink in before making posts that would be viewed as the 'knee-jerk' type. I lurked on this site for 6-8 months before I signed up. The mods/admins/vetted guys don't say "read more, post less" to be ass holes. Do your research. As a junior in HS who wants to go to college first, you have plenty of time. Right now you should be focusing on grades and enjoying your last 2 years of HS. If that means drinking, partying, playing sports, going to church, hunting, fishing, whatever it is...do it! I think many of the more experienced people here would echo that sentiment as well.
    As far as a back up plan, any time you DOR/Med. drop from a selection course you will be left to the needs of XYZ branch. The job you want might not be on the sheet the classifier hands you. When I DOR from mine, I had about 16 job choices in front of me because I got a 99 on my ASVAB. I wanted Crypto...guess what, wasn't an option. YMMV. Again, you have a lot of time in front of you.
    I hope this helps some.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Coyote

Coyote Verified Military Verified Military

Just to start I'll just give some information on where I am in my life at this point in time. I'm a 16 year old dual US/Canadian citizen currently residing in Canada. I am in grade 11, I play rep hockey and high school football. This upcoming February, I'm doing a co-op program for my school where I go away for a semester and do BMQ and SQ (reserves) training. I make $350 a week and get the credits I need to graduate. Upon completing this program, I can chose to keep a job in the army reserves - which I plan on doing - and be a 'weekend warrior'. When I get my HS diploma and turn 18, I plan on transferring over to regular force as a infantry soldier or combat engineer. Then later down the road once I feel I have mastered the basics and acquired other skills needed to be a good soldier, then I would like to go for SOF selection.​

Ever since I can remember, I always wanted to have an action packed career. If I was in an office cooped up all day, I'd probably kill myself. The army has always appealed to me in many aspects and given me motivation. I've had a very abusive child hood which has made me have a lot of anger bottled up inside. I figure with the army I can vent all that anger in combat and PT. I do get out a fair share of anger in sports and working out, but not enough that I figure I could in the army. Also, I've gotten into trouble a lot during my high school career like having parties without permission, having too much to drink that I wake up in a McDonald's play pen and even getting walked in on. The army could really shape me up into a man with a great sense of responsibility instead of being some kid that just wants to get it in/being hammed every weekend. Patriotism is also significant in terms of appeal and motivation to join the army. As Canadians we are the underdog of militaries because we are next to the military super power of the world which gets us underestimated and under credited with anything we do. As a Canuck soldier, I'll be fighting with everything I got because I have something to prove to the world and to give my country some credit (as cheesy as that seems). As a Canuck SOF operator I'd be serving my country in the ultimate way in my opinion which is why being a SOF operator REALLY appeals to me. Not just that though, kicking in doors half way around the world and HAHO/HALO jumping out of airplanes is also huge in regards in wanting to be a SOF operator. :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 2
  6. RackMaster

RackMaster Nasty-Dirty-Canuck Verified SOF Support

Coyote, sounds like you are on your way to the right path now. Keep it up and we'll try to help you along the way.

7. TLDR20

SSMP:
    SOF Mentor
    Coyote, I think you are on the right path, you are going CANSOF so I will defer. If you have Q's I know we have some CANSOF here. Good Luck!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  8. SkrewzLoose

SkrewzLoose Something Clever Verified Military

I can't comment on the anger part and whether it will do you any good during PT and in combat as I'm a pretty laid back guy and I've never seen combat. I can say, that more than that, you need something at the front of your mind at all times that will push you through the suck. You need to have something that, when all else has failed and you're completely broken, you can think on that and bang out 1 more push up, run/ruck the last 1/4 mile with your head up, kick a little harder for the last 10o meters of a swim, etc. You sound like you have your head on straight and that's a good start. Best of luck to you, young man.

Rack, cback, you guys look good in RED. It's a new Navy, I can say that now, right?? :confused:

9. TLDR20

SSMP:
    SOF Mentor
    Coyote in regards to your post to being abused. That is a good motivator, however most SOF selections have a psychological test. Your prior problems could be a problem there. Be aware. If you have any Q's PM
    Me offline.

10. Coyote

Coyote Verified Military Verified Military

The abuse I received wasn't so serious that I would be crippled or anything, it was mostly just being smacked around every so often and being put down almost every single day which lowered my self esteem. It has taught me to suck it the fuck up, keep my head up and keep on going no matter what happens. That lesson has so far really helped me in a number of different scenarios. It hasn't made me weaker, just stronger as a person in the aspect of never backing down and taking failure as not an option. I'll PM you for sure if any concerns come up, sir.

I know what you mean sir. I can assure you and myself that I have other personal drive/motivations that keep the fire burning inside - however those are the ones I wouldn't prefer to discuss on public forums. Only way to find out if these motivations are strong enough is when I go through selection.

11. Marauder06

Marauder06 Intel Enabler Administrator

SSMP:
    Support Mentor
    Lukas, you misunderstood me slightly. In the scenario I outlined earlier, you don't leave the military short of retirement. There are several ways to get advanced degrees while in the service, but there is a service commitment attached to all of them. Usually, it's a three-to-one commitment; every year of school is a three-year active duty service commitment, or ADSO. So a two-year MBA gets you 6 years added on. For many, that six years on top of what you normally have to put in to get considered for ACS in the first place puts them over the ten-year mark, which is kind of a break point for whether or not you stay in for the full 20.

There are lots of great options for advanced civil schooling, if you're a high performer and if you're willing to work your ass off, both on the job and in your free time. I'm at Yale right now getting an MA on the Army's dime, it took a looong time to get here but it's worth it.

That said, it's really important to focus on the short-term goals first. Take some time and think about what it is you really want to do- we're talking weeks if not months of consideration here- then get back to us. Chances are, no matter what it is you want to do in the military one of us have done it or know someone who has. Good luck!

12. pardus

pardus Moderating Staff

No? Dammit!

• Like Like x 2
  13. amlove21

amlove21 Pararescue Moderating Staff

SSMP:
    SOF Mentor
    If i could like this more than once I could. PM, I was actually writing a response exactly like the one you wrote before I read the rest of the thread and came across yours. It seems pretty moot now, though, seeing as Jay already enlisted in the Navy as an HM.

Lukas, I dont even know what you want. If you want to talk about AFSOC, let me know, and I will help where I can, but I dont think you even know what you want.

14. Polar Bear

Polar Bear They call me Mr Sunshine Administrator

Leukoplakia, Please read more post less. You are pissing off people. First and last warning do not get stupid with an anrgy response I will just ban you. There is a wealth of knowledge here, read it and absorb it.

Have a Very PB day

15. AKkeith

AKkeith Killin It Verified Military

Had a well thought out first post but the revamp erased it. Ill try to recreate it.

I played soccer my whole life and wrestled 7 years. Joined the Marine Corps days after my 18th birthday and got married soon after. Ive been in over 2 years now. I put my packet in for MarSOC close to a year ago and have been soaking up all the info I can about it since. Im on week 6 of the prep guide and have been exceeding the set goals. I should be attending the April selections but my commands been giving me a real hard time. Due to the B billet manning shortage and how qualified I am in varies jobs they arent too happy with me looking to leave. They have me running in circles with paper work saying I cant leave and keep me real busy so I dont have time to train as much as I would like to. To the question why do I deserve to be your team mate? As for now, the answer is I dont. You can call it a "cop out" but I have always strived the be the best. Where I see kids that have the same goal as me fail is they arent has driven as I am and dont have a strong enough mind. Im very driven to make it through selections, ITC and join their team and theres something telling me if I train and really set myself to this like I have been I cant fail. Im here looking for more information and maybe a mentor, someone whos been in my shoes and made it into the MarSOC community. Also hopefully someone thats married that as some more insight on married life in MSOB. Thanks

Not as good as my first one, but the best I can do at the moment

16. The Hate Ape

The Hate Ape Verified Military

Well I wouldn't defend that I "deserve" to do anything really. What I can say is that this is my decision, my dream, and my desire. Its more of a what I can achieve with a very small, closely knit group of individuals that I've once never imagined possible. This isn't because I want to be the "best" but because I want to be part of something with a higher purpose so to say. So much infact that a failure to be selected would be far less upsetting than not attending in the first place.

Honestly, I'm drawn to this and always have been - I don't brag and talk shit, nor have I openly complained to anyone/everyone about my profession. The military is an honorable lifestyle and does fine work of the individuals who come into it with an open mind and are willing to work. Personally, I'm not satisified, I want more and I want to be part of this organization. I'm fully accepting of the challenges that are ahead and am more than willing, as I have been doing already, to prepare myself both mentally and physically in order to achieve such goals.

17. TLDR20

SSMP:
    SOF Mentor
    ^Cool keep working hard. Dont quit!

18. Hillclimb

Hillclimb Verified Military

I could sit here and write "why I want to be your teammate" or "why I'm a wannabe SOF guy," but the only real way I'll be able to prove either of those is to let my results speak for my actions, not my words. I want a job that is challenging, rewarding, and requires a great deal of discipline and commitment.

As far as research and goals.. I've tried to become completely absorbed in any information regarding SOF and training by reading and searching the internet. My plans are to understand the training standards and expectations, and do my best to show up prepared. I would not want to waste anyones time, whether it be the cadre or someone else who deserved to fill my spot.

Edit: reducing the wall-o-text

19. ManBearPig

ManBearPig Unverified

A little about myself. I grew up in a suburb in Northern California, which I've called home for the past 20 years now. I am currently attending college and in my second year. Through my life I played pretty much every sport imaginable (Soccer, Baseball, Waterpolo, Lacrosse, Football, etc...). I take teamwork into account in pretty much anything I do. I expect others to do there jobs, and for me to do mine. The military has always been a factor in my life. My Great Grandfathers fought in WWI and WWII, my Grandfather fought in WWII on Omaha beach with the 29th Infantry Division. Currently I have a few family members who are both serving this country. Throughout life I've always had a fascination with the military. And in High School, Special Operations in particular. Over the last few years I've done extensive research and have taken a look at what I thought would fit me. I fell upon Army Special Forces, and in particular becoming an SF Medical Sergeant. Honestly -- I just want to blow things up. But I also want to help others, and have come to find it that the 18 - Deltas in particular are the best guys out there at their job. I dread the idea of sitting in a cubical pushing papers... After speaking with a few former Operators myself, I know that this is for me. I want nothing else in life.

So in closing, that is why I came to this forum. So I could gain knowledge that I otherwise could not easily find elsewhere. Thanks.

20. Dillinger

Dillinger Verified Military

Hi, my name is Dillinger and I want to jump out of planes, kick in doors, pull all the triggers, and generally ruin other people's day. Just like any story here, mine is convoluted with twists and turns and enough emotional break throughs/shit situations to make a witty, mildly successful rom-com. To spare all of you all the heartache of this, I leave you with the rotten tomatoes version:

-Enlisted in the Marine Corps fresh out of high school (18 years old). I enlisted cause I had nothing else going for me in life and I needed to do something (insert lost puppy complex here).
    -Married a woman that was inadvertently holding me back, now divorcing after 4 years (goodbye deployment money).
    -Served an uneventful first tour with no deployments. On my second tour and first deployment. 6 years in the Corps - 1 deployment, I have the job every sissy pants child fresh out of high school wants.

Meat and Potatoes. I'm at the ass end of my deployment and realizing I'm on the wrong side of the fence. I've spent the better part of the year behind my desk, dealing with detainee processing, LOAC (Law of Armed Conflict) violations, SROE (Standing Rules of Engagement) issues, command directed investigations, and a slew of other issues. It's satisfying to know I played a critical role in putting away some very bad individuals, but if you've ever deployed and/or had any role in the process, you'd know the individuals we put away aren't gone forever. My position within my command makes me privy to information generally unknown to the public. It's infuriating how the system works and I'm tired of watching the pawns get caught while the big ticket targets walk away untouched. Hearts and minds, my ass. I say put two rounds in each and call it a day. Enter stage left - MARSOC.

25M Target: Unfucking my PT platform. My time is limited and I have to make as much progress as possible physically and mentally. As cliché as it sounds, after I redeploy, everything becomes my 25m target. Rucking, running, swimming, strength, stamina, land nav, foot care, shit tolerance, nutrition, and everything else in between. I have a basic level of knowledge and experience with all of these things, but not enough to give me a stable footing for A&S.