Your Experiences With "Toxic Leaders"

Discussion in 'Leadership and Professional Development' started by Marauder06, Jun 26, 2011.

1. SOWT

SOWT SOWT Verified SOF

I wanna hear that story, PM if'n ya have to.

2. surgicalcric

surgicalcric Special Forces Verified SOF

Not familiar with "The Hurricane" I have to say. Shoot me a PM when you have time brother.

3. Marauder06

Marauder06 Intel Enabler Administrator

SSMP:
    Support Mentor
    Another "toxic leader," from an article in the Army Times:

Toxic Leaders.jpg

And for another point of view on the same topic, this letter to the editor:

4. TLDR20

TLDR20 Special Forces Moderating Staff

SSMP:
    SOF Mentor
    That letter made me throw up in my mouth a little bit. Does this LTC think that the entire army is so unprofessional as to not look past race and gender? Is she fucking serious? That is by FAR the most ridiculous letter I have read in Army times. The fact that that woman made it to LTC with that attitude is unbelievable. Literally, unbelievable. I am disgusted right now.

• Like Like x 3
  5. pardus

pardus Moderating Staff

Agreed. Just bloody garbage.

6. TLDR20

TLDR20 Special Forces Moderating Staff

SSMP:
    SOF Mentor
    Yeah I seriously cannot get over what was written above to the editor. It is beyond my comprehension that she believes that other officers in the army would go about actively sabotaging another higher ranking officer. And on top of that to imply that it was done solely based on race and gender is disgusting to me. It gets my blood pressure up just thinking about it. I wonder if she read the article in its entirety, I did, and that COL that was relieved deserved it. She treated her subordinates like garbage, set unreasonable goals and wasted unbelievable amounts of time and resources on stupid shit. But she is black and a woman does not cut it in 2011. I feel like I was slapped in the face by the above article, which I refuse to quote because it is disgusting slander.

7. Freefalling

Freefalling Signal Administrator

I don't trust Hyphens anyway; they always have an agenda.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Chopstick

Chopstick Verified Estrogen Brigade Member

These are words to live by. 1000% agree!

9. is friday

is friday I'm a professional. Verified Military

I once had an NCO who came from a different command take over my shop when I was a bootski. He was knowledgeable in little and displayed poor leadership traits*.

Poor leadership traits:
    1.) When he was learning his "new job" after transferring from a different command/job description, instead of getting his hands dirty with some on-the-job training--he said he "didn't need to do the work because he is a Sergeant".
    2.) Frequently put himself before his troops. Once while we worked well past 2200 (expected to be at formation at 0500 the next morning,) without chow he went and ate some chow at home. Another Sergeant hooked us up with some chow after finding out he had ditched us. Poor leader returned some time later and attempted to yell at us for eating instead of working.
    3.) Poor leader charged an NCO beneath him for doing something against regulation that he had done himself not even a month prior.
    4.) Poor leader took me to the Gunny when I challenged his authority instead of handling me himself like any NCO with a backbone would.

That's just the stuff off the top of my head. But yeah--I definitely learned how to not be a leader from that soup sandwich.

10. Marauder06

SSMP:
    Support Mentor
    Looks like a lot of commanders in Hawaii are losing their jobs.

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2005/Mar/26/ln/ln07p.html

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2005/Mar/16/br/br05p.html

Seriously? Things are so ban in the unit that you're going to need to choke out your S3? :confused:

11. Freefalling

I can think of a few who need to be choked...

12. Mac_NZ

Mac_NZ Stitch Bitch Verified Military

I have a list somewhere.

Hey Digrar do you know the story of the Officer from 3RAR at Butterworth who was sent home within 24hrs or some such?

13. Marauder06

SSMP:
    Support Mentor
    Merged the site's two "toxic leaders" threads.

14. RetPara

RetPara Moderating Staff

I don't think we have as much a problem as the Navy has. They are averaging 1.37 major command reliefs over the past two years.

15. Marauder06

SSMP:
    Support Mentor
    Was there "toxic leadership" in this case? If so, was it on the part of the brigade commanders, or the 8th Army commander?

http://www.stripes.com/news/pacific...n-s-korea-reprimanded-over-gays-skit-1.144415

16. Freefalling

1) Depends on the content and how it was presented.
    2) I'd fire the colonels just for being dumbasses and not keeping up with current events. How many commanders have been smoked over this sort of crap in the last 12 months? At this point in our society, even if you find it funny there WILL be someone who doesn't, is butthurt, and all too willing to make you miserable for it. Trust me, I know....
    3) A skit on gay people? Well hell, can I drag out my blackface setup and perform a Vaudeville routine? No? How about one on Asians with "rorrypops?" No? Then what makes these idiots think that they would get away with this? Content matters to a sensible person, but not to the butthurt. See #2.

• Like Like x 2
  17. interrogat

interrogat The Alcohol Enthusiast Verified Military

My soldiers have been using Army360. I can imagine a future in which NCOs continuously check their A-360 iPhone App throughout the day to see who has better (worse?) reviews...

"Shit, man, another joe burned me; says I don't develop him as a leader..."

18. rv808

rv808 Trying, with no luck. Verified Military

19. Th3 Maelstr0m

Th3 Maelstr0m Bally-hoosman Verified Military

We were doing a joint op with the Brits, everyone was staged and ready to go. We sit around for about 30 min. PAST go time, & finally Captain --- comes out, explaining that he was late because 1) he was downloading music to listen to on the op, and 2) he was in a bid war on eBay for a comic book action figure (he collects them). He later gets a Bronze Star for that deployment & promoted to Major. Needless to say, the Brits were not amused, & from then on did all mission planning with our 1st Lt.

20. Viper1

Viper1 Special Forces Verified SOF