Basic and extra PT

Ckitchens11

Unverified
I am aware that in BCT free time is scarce and often spent cleaning. But I also have a feeling that if I want to prevent being an opt. 40 dropout, it is in my best interest to work in extra PT. How is that best done? I know that extra push-ups and sit-ups are pretty easy to pump out. But am I allowed to leave the barracks to run? Or is it that I should focus on the 25 m. target and that basic will maintain my PT scores?

How do all the other option 40 candidates stay in shape during basic training?

When I was in Navy boot, I was part of the dive motivator's PT pool, we would get up at 0300 and go to the pool and swim and do PT. Some recruits not in the program but wanting something a bit more robust than what we normally got would get the fire watch to wake them early and they would do burpees, push ups, etc. Since you don't have access to the first part, maybe do the second? I don't know, but seems that guys in your position have been successful before.

I am aware that in BCT free time is scarce and often spent cleaning. But I also have a feeling that if I want to prevent being an opt. 40 dropout, it is in my best interest to work in extra PT. How is that best done? I know that extra push-ups and sit-ups are pretty easy to pump out. But am I allowed to leave the barracks to run? Or is it that I should focus on the 25 m. target and that basic will maintain my PT scores?

When I was in OSUT a few of us were allowed to do 60/120's on Sundays around the CTA. Old timers have commented before how back in their day you wouldn't dare ask for more and how each march to the chow hall was 15 miles up both ways (kidding gents). Anyways, our senior DS never took it personally if troops wanted to smoke themselves extra because they were motivated. Needless to say me and my group of friends who did so arrived at our first unit with good PT scores!

Granted, this was in '98...

Once done with your doctrinal 8 weeks of "basic" if you are OSUT such as for 11 series, and provided nobody in the platoon or company fucks things up, you'll be able to sign out for an hour or so to PT extra in either the company area, or the PT field.

Otherwise, ask your Drill's. They will provide, if you don't think you're getting enough love in the PT quadrant. Don't pussy out if you do ask, though, keep it up.

I don't know how the Army stuff is these days, but when I was in BMT I had a guaranteed slot in the TACP tryouts that took place there (I came down to Lackland at a specific time so I wouldn't miss them, and they knew about my desire to do that). Anyhow, Air Force basic is a joke as far as PT was concerned, so I did extra in my down time, whatever I could. Pushups, situps. Push yourself on the runs during regular PT. Do what you gotta do. I just knew the BMT stuff wasn't going to cut it. I actually got out of shape in BMT, and had it not been for the extra I wouldn't have made the cut to get the TACP contract.

Granted, this was in '98...

Once done with your doctrinal 8 weeks of "basic" if you are OSUT such as for 11 series, and provided nobody in the platoon or company fucks things up, you'll be able to sign out for an hour or so to PT extra in either the company area, or the PT field.

Otherwise, ask your Drill's. They will provide, if you don't think you're getting enough love in the PT quadrant. Don't pussy out if you do ask, though, keep it up.

I was gonna say, just tell the drills to smoke the shit out of you every night for 30-45 min. It would be like a joint therapy session...:ROFLMAO:

This.

The PT is designed to bring everyone up to speed, but if you're already there, it's easy to slide back. Drills get that. Be respectful when you ask.

To keep the extra PT privileges we had to make sure we were in the upper half of every testing situation and we pushed ourselves when we had a chance for supplemental PT. Even with it, I still managed to gain unnecessary weight and lose a lot of stamina during Basic.

LL

Back