BJJ Lineages

It's been a while since I trained there, but my instructor's lineage went like this:

Mitsuyo Maeda > Carlos Gracie > Carlson Gracie > Andre Pederneiras > John Lewis > Egan Inoue > Barret Yoshida > Dustin Thornton

my two, before I got too broken, were

Mitsuyo Maeda > Carlos Gracie > Helio Gracie > Flavio Behring > Ricardo Murgel > (Purple belt instructor I won't name)

Mitsuyo Maeda > Carlos Gracie > Helio Gracie > Rolls Gracie > Romero "Jacare" Cavalcanti

edited to correct my coach's lineage

Last edited:
my two, before I got too broken, were

Mitsuyo Maeda > Carlos Gracie > Helio Gracie > Flavio Behring > Ricardo Murgel > (Purple belt instructor I won't name)

Mitsuyo Maeda > Carlos Gracie > Reyson Gracie > Osvaldo Alves > Henrique Machado > Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza

I'm pretty jealous you got to train with Jacare, an ADCC champ! Did you train at Blackhouse?

Everyone's seem so long. I'm no BJJ master so maybe I'm misunderstanding but mine was.
Mitsuyo Maeda> Carlos Gracie> Ted Stickel

I'm pretty jealous you got to train with Jacare, an ADCC champ! Did you train at Blackhouse?

I have a correction to that. I just knew him as Jacare, I looked up the name and got the wrong one. Who knew they would have two people with the same nickname at high levels of a sport... The correct lineage is

Mitsuyo Maeda > Carlos Gracie > Helio Gracie > Rolls Gracie > Romero "Jacare" Cavalcanti

I trained here: {{ pageTitle }}

I'm pretty jealous you are/were out in the BJJ hot spot. I've only had the chance to do a seminar with Dean Lister. It's always nice seeing fellow people who train bjj! Is it a pretty common martial art to train where you guys are stationed?

Well, now I'm in New York and am currently squandering opportunities to train at Renzo's and Marcelo Garcia's place. Hell, we've even got Jon Danaher up here. I had a talk last night with the university's BJJ coach and he convinced me that I should start up again, which is gonna be tough after a long layoff.

We'll see how it goes.

Still, NYC is filled with talent, I would take advantage of the oppurtunities there, people I know would kill to train or even meet Marcelo, Renzo, and Jon Danaher.

Back