BS in Nursing, CRO reserve?

Betenhauser

SOF Support
Got my eyes on commissioning as a nurse officer after I finish my BSN. Straight to the point: Is it possible to get a specialized degree, i.e. nursing, but opt for CRO instead? The idea would be serve/deploy with combat rescue, but live and work as a flight nurse in the civilian sector.

My baggage:
>31y/o by the time I graduate.
>Prior service USMC, but currently 20% service connected disability (in the process of getting all the necessary consults to show evidence of fitness for duty, and I'd sign that waiver of benefits when the time comes).

Anyone heard of this happening? Is it a pipedream? There's always flight nursing for the AF as well, but nurses don't seem to do point of injury extraction, usually the enlisted medics handle that side of things.

Got my eyes on commissioning as a nurse officer after I finish my BSN. Straight to the point: Is it possible to get a specialized degree, i.e. nursing, but opt for CRO instead? The idea would be serve/deploy with combat rescue, but live and work as a flight nurse in the civilian sector.

My baggage:
>31y/o by the time I graduate.
>Prior service USMC, but currently 20% service connected disability (in the process of getting all the necessary consults to show evidence of fitness for duty, and I'd sign that waiver of benefits when the time comes).

Anyone heard of this happening? Is it a pipedream? There's always flight nursing for the AF as well, but nurses don't seem to do point of injury extraction, usually the enlisted medics handle that side of things.
Nurses are Medical Officers, CRO's are Line Officer's, so you can be one or the other.

You can get a CRO slot, but you have to find a Reserve/Guard that will take you.

My friends who did the Flight Nurse gig all seemed to enjoy it.

Good luck either way.

Let me say there are other places to go if you are a nurse, that will be rewarding to you, and a better use of you to the military. I am also getting my BSN right now, and plan to come back in as a nurse, hopefully as a critical care air transport nurse. There are special units out there for a motivated nurse.

Thank you for the thoughtful responses. TLDR20, can you provide any additional info on the type of units you're referring to? I think one of the issues I'm having is a lack of knowledge regarding what opportunities with AFSOC or higher speed, higher adrenaline nursing positions are available.

There are medical augmentation units that exist to support SOF. I will leave it at that.

Some of the paths that can be open to Nurse Corps Officers, include Flight Nurse (USAF),CRNA, and Expanded roll as Nurse Practitioners. These rolls are transferable to the civilian world of professional practice. Best of luck to both of you. If I can help at all, give a shout.

Last edited:
Nurses are Medical Officers, CRO's are Line Officer's, so you can be one or the other.

You can get a CRO slot, but you have to find a Reserve/Guard that will take you.

My friends who did the Flight Nurse gig all seemed to enjoy it.

Good luck either way.

This is true, in part. All officer slots come from the line. A percentage are given to medical, legal and other professional slots. Medical Corps are only physicians, Nurse Corps are Nurses. In the USAF, other sub specalties such as Admin (MSC), Dental( Dentists), BSC (Biological Service Corps) included: Optometry, Veterinary, Physical Therapy, Dietitians, Physician Assistants,and a few others. Each Corps is seperate in competing for promotions, and assignments. The line officers give up these positions, and any reduction in these seperate "Medical" slots, are returned to the line. There has been talk for decades about having a seperate medical service, instead of thee medical corps for the Army, USAF, and Navy.

I think it's depends on your commissioning source. I know a guy in the pipeline now who was doing AFROTC and getting his nursing degree with a plan of commissioning as a nurse. He went to CRO Phase II and got selected and his job changed.

I think doing the reserves or guard is an option but you would have to find a unit willing to hire a CRO trainee off the street. I've only heard of that happening once, though I've only been associated with the career field a couple years.

Have you contacted the 920th at all?

I haven't contacted anyone except a recruiter first. I came to the boards with this questions first, and I haven't asked him about this. Would active be a better option, then?

As I understand, you are currently a civilian. There is no way to go straight from civilian to active duty CRO right now. The reserve and guard are probably your best bet.

There is a shortage of nurses all around. That could mean scholarship funds for those looking at a commission after graduation. Recruiters should be able to fill you in on scholarship requirements. At one point, there were nurses assigned to recruiting districts, and did nothing but recruiting.

Thank you for the thoughtful responses. TLDR20, can you provide any additional info on the type of units you're referring to? I think one of the issues I'm having is a lack of knowledge regarding what opportunities with AFSOC or higher speed, higher adrenaline nursing positions are available.

It seems to me that as a GN your first priority should be getting some solid clinical experience in a med-surg unit or given your current civilian employment perhaps in an ED.

I've taught nurses, and there are very few GNs that I would want treating me or mine in an emergency. Same goes for complicated presentations like ICU cases.

That isn't to say that some people don't do well jumping into the deep end of the clinical pool. Some do, but they usually have a wealth of experience they can apply to the task of keeping their patient's head above water.

Just food for thought.

Agreed. I do have EMT experience, though I ended up in a position in an ICU (as opposed to outright EMS/pre-hospital work), and I certainly don't have experience that would compare to Pararescue. Thank you for your replies. They're thoughtful and informative.

You should stop what you're doing and contact the 920th.

1. How will you obtain a commission? AFROTC or OTS? Direct commission as a Nurse? The odds of you doing anything but Nursing are then nearly impossible. Branches don't direct commission someone so they can do other things.
2. If not Direct or ROTC how does the OTS process work for a civilian? Will the 920th sponsor you for a slot? (The Guard commissioning process requires this) What happens if you commission but fail out of the CRO pipeline?
3. Does the 920th have any vacant CRO slots? (maybe) Does it have a waiting list or OML for any open slots? (probably) How would you as a civilian take part in the assessment phases?
4. Do you know about the other Med/ SOF Air Force units in FL?

You should stop what you're doing and contact the 920th.

1. How will you obtain a commission? AFROTC or OTS? Direct commission as a Nurse? The odds of you doing anything but Nursing are then nearly impossible. Branches don't direct commission someone so they can do other things.
2. If not Direct or ROTC how does the OTS process work for a civilian? Will the 920th sponsor you for a slot? (The Guard commissioning process requires this) What happens if you commission but fail out of the CRO pipeline?
3. Does the 920th have any vacant CRO slots? (maybe) Does it have a waiting list or OML for any open slots? (probably) How would you as a civilian take part in the assessment phases?
4. Do you know about the other Med/ SOF Air Force units in FL?

Roger that, Freefalling.

1. Earlier, I was intending to apply for a direct commission, but only to go nurse. Now that I'm looking into CRO, would OTS be the route? I can start making calls to the 920th next week.

2. I'll keep this at the forefront as I try to get in contact with the right people. As far as failing the CRO pipeline, would I revert to nursing? Or would I know occupy a line slot RF1 was explaining above? These are things I have yet to resolve. I will certainly bring this up during my inquiries next week.

3. I can honestly say I have no clue. I will ask for certain.

4. I do not, but I am willing to learn. I understand not everything can be discussed in a public forum, but all of this info helps me narrow down what I need to find out.

I've been verified for a day now, and already it's paying off 10 fold. Thank you, everyone, for helping far more than I was hoping for.

If attempting the active duty route you will need to get accepted into the nine week basic officer training program for line officers and not the five week basic officer training program for the healthcare, legal or religious professions .

This means you will not be entering the Air Force to be a nurse or to be a CRO or STO. You will be accepted into OTS to be commissioned and classified into some other non-rated officer AFSC such as Security Forces, Intelligence. Weather, logistics, personnel, finance, Operational Support, or public affairs.

The previous disclosure of "I know a guy in the pipeline now who was doing AFROTC and getting his nursing degree with a plan of commissioning as a nurse. He went to CRO Phase II and got selected and his job changed" omits critical essential info in that 3rd and 4th year AFROTC cadets as well as Air Force Academy cadets can submit a CRO or CRO application before being commissioned. OTS does not provide this option.

You better get yourself educated as incorrect or misleading info is going to get you into where you may not want to be and being there is worse than getting accidentally pregnant as there is no morning after pill or abortion option to get you out of the mess or date rape victim story to get you special consideration.

CRO, STO &13L ALO Application Information, start reading, I'm not going to spoon feed you more than this other than your 20% service connected disability may also be a worry to be concerned about as full disclosure of all medical conditions in addition to an initial Flying Class III and SOD medical exam is involved.

Back