Current PAST Standards and Rules

CK_Sawyer

Unverified
Hi all,
I remember reading somewhere that on the 500m swim, kick turns were not allowed? Can someone verify this?
Also, on the underwater swim, is an initial kick off the wall permitted?
Thank you

A PAST administered by a recruiter is going to be very different than the one at Selection/Indoc. I can't speak for PJ Indoc, but at CCT/SOWT selection, you're not allowed kick turns; count on sharing a lane with 2-3 other trainees and having to yell last name and lap count for every lap.
For the underwater, you won't be allowed a wall kick.

@RyanSC
I'm getting mixed information on the wall kick for underwaters. My understanding is that you can kick off the wall, swim to end, turn around under water and then surface returning to the start in a freestyle stroke.

@standbycontact Hey man, underwaters begin at the hash mark (no kicking off the wall) in the pool then follow the pool floor down until you touch the wall flip around and surface at an angle and freestyle back to the wall, whatever time you have left on your interval time is what you have to rest.

CCT/SOWT Selection:
On the 500m swim you can use the wall but you cant flip turn. Grab the wall, get a breath, go under and kick off streamlined.

During underwaters we always were allowed a kick off the wall in selection unless otherwise instructed. We were always in a 25m pool.

When you get into a 50m pool you will start at the halfway mark (obviously no kick)

Last edited:
Let me stop everyone right here.

Unless you've successfully completed the course, don't hand out advice to others. Also, be mindful of the fact that we have instructors lurking and some of them have long memories...

Admin Edit: You're an admitted washout. From my post above:

Let me stop everyone right here.

Unless you've successfully completed the course, don't hand out advice to others. Also, be mindful of the fact that we have instructors lurking and some of them have long memories...

I made it through SOWT selection and to Keesler. Didn't say anything about Pope because of your previous post. However, my post should still stand seeing as I have passed selection and have knowledge as I have been to Keesler.

Last edited:
@Freefalling Though I didn't make it through the PIPELINE I made it through one COURSE, and half way through Keesler COURSE. There may be some confusion in the wording or something that I do not understand because the way I read it, I was within my limits to make such a comment.

@Freefalling Though I didn't make it through the PIPELINE I made it through one COURSE, and half way through Keesler COURSE. There may be some confusion in the wording or something that I do not understand because the way I read it, I was within my limits to make such a comment.

The board does not want wannabes counseling wannabes. Unless you've completed dive school, your COURSE is irrelevant.

Wouldn't it have been a lot easier to state that in the beginning or be a little more clear as too what course you were talking about or what goal you are wanting to achieve? No course was mentioned prior to dive school in your last comment besides Selection/Indoc in comment #2. So with that, how are people to know you were talking about dive school? We were simply talking about a 500m freestyle. Nothing more than entry standards and nothing to do with dive school. @Freefalling

Back