Nervousness Regarding Selection

kjk01

Unverified
I know I'm not special. most people I hear are nervous for selection. Mostly, I'm overthinking my nervousness. I recently got guaranteed my dream of having a chance to join the 75th with my 68W w/ Option 40 Contract. As I think about RASP and SOCM, I look at the attrition rate of SOCM and get scared of failure. To get to the point: In your experience, is nervousness regarding selection a common characteristic of those who fail? I know this question is pitiful and that I shouldn't doubt myself but it's already in my head. I know that I have it in me to join the 75th and I'm confident in myself but those thoughts are still there. I'm not sure if this is humility or just plain weakness. I hope in this thread, one could help myself and other hopefuls who have these thoughts.

I'm gonna let somebody green tagged answer you specifically on selection and what they have seen/experienced, but your question is actually broader than that.

Is nervousness a characteristic of failure?

short answer- yes and no.

Longer answer:

Nervousness can cause you to fail, if it leads to paralysis. If you get nervous and can't act or think, that will be an issue.
The truth is you're likely going to be nervous at times throughout basic, AIT, airborne, et cetera. So is almost everyone else. It's perfectly fine to be nervous. You don't have to be some super stud who doesn't get worried about anything; you just have to be the guy who will continue to perform, even when scared shitless.

Remember:

You are not pitiful, you are not weak, you are not a robot.
You're human. And so is everyone else who did it before you.

I have have no experience in what you're about to undergo so I will leave that discussion to the men who do. I just want to wish you luck, and we hope to hear from you again after you're done.

I am not a green tag so mods and verified SOF put me back in my lane if needed.

I have been through my branches respective SOF selection and was selected. I will not speak to the process, or the command and I have a long, very long way to go. I will tell you that initially I was nervous, but I adopted a mentality that has got me to where I am today and I’ll share that with you.

I decided that no matter what, I would perform my absolute best 100% of the time. I didn’t think about my times, reps, or class standing. I didn’t think about who was stronger or weaker than me, I didn’t think about who was faster or slower than me. I honestly didn’t think much further ahead than required to accomplish my next task. I just did my best.

The only thing I told myself everyday was “I’m going to do my best here, whether I am selected or not, I’ll go home knowing I gave everything I had and I’ll be proud of what I accomplish no matter what.”

There has been one particular instance where my backpacking group got lost without water/ water source. I know through when times get tough and others get scared, I will push through and remain calm. I gues my fear is particularly about failing selection.

I am not a green tag so mods and verified SOF put me back in my lane if needed.

I have been through my branches respective SOF selection and was selected. I will not speak to the process, or the command and I have a long, very long way to go. I will tell you that initially I was nervous, but I adopted a mentality that has got me to where I am today and I’ll share that with you.

I decided that no matter what, I would perform my absolute best 100% of the time. I didn’t think about my times, reps, or class standing. I didn’t think about who was stronger or weaker than me, I didn’t think about who was faster or slower than me. I honestly didn’t think much further ahead than required to accomplish my next task. I just did my best.

The only thing I told myself everyday was “I’m going to do my best here, whether I am selected or not, I’ll go home knowing I gave everything I had and I’ll be proud of what I accomplish no matter what.”

When I do go through selection, I will absolutely adopt that mindset. Thank you for the advise. What works for me and others is saying ”I will quit tomorrow” everyday.

I have have no experience in what you're about to undergo so I will leave that discussion to the men who do. I just want to wish you luck, and we hope to hear from you again after you're done.
I will keep everyone updated in my journey in the SITREP forum

(I regret not putting these three comments in one combined reply, I’m not sure how to fix that)

1. Never quit. Steel your mind and defeat your doubts. Convince yourself that you are the 30% who make it and you will. Accept that you are the average soldier who fails and you will. You get a vote. Don’t quit. The rest will fall into place.

2. There is no number 2.
And except that once you step over the threshold...there is no turning no back...it's a life long commitment which you will have no choice

I’ll add a few more comments. I’ve been in the game for awhile and I still get nervous when I jump. It’s normal to get nervous. It’s what you do next that matters. You’ll be fine, if you decide to never quit.

Back