Prior-Marine with an 18x contract seeking guidance

Machete69

Special Forces
Verified SOF
Good afternoon gentleman, Finally after a year of arduous work with my recruiter, I will swear in Tuesday, after signing an 18x contract. I'm not necessarily worried about where in the pipeline I'll start (whether it be the beginning of OSUT, or at Jumpschool), because I know from having read many other threads, that any time to re-acquiant with military life is good time. I was an 0352, so I have had a lot of experience with ruck runs and such, but in the Marine Corps we know that there is very few boots to choose from. So I guess really I just want some good advice on which boots to take, along with any other advice! Thank you!

I prefer the Garmont NFS, they are light and have good ankle support. I also like the Nike boot. For gated rucks, I like my boots to be as light as possible, but still provide ankle support. YMMV

Thank you for the input! Yea, I was thinking since I loved ultralights so much I was gonna go with the Nike Sfb. I may purchase both though.

So I went to MEPS yesterday and got approved and signed for the 18x contract. For any and all prior service that take this route, listen up- even if you are prior Infantry (like me) you will absolutely go to OSUT. I haven't left yet (sep 17) but regardless, you will have to take the bus with all the recruits to basic. on my contract it shows that I will be at Benning for 14 weeks, 6 weeks, then 2 weeks. I will update this post after I arrive.

First off, congrats on getting selected! I had a question about the 18X pipeline for prior service that maybe you know, and I am new to the forum so maybe my question has already been answered... I am currently a 91B E-4 (E-5 next month after I go to BLC) in the Army National Guard. My contract ends within the year and I am debating whether or not to go to SFAS through the guard side or active duty. Have you heard of anyone doing a similar 18X route? I'm curious to know whether I would have to go to OSUT and whether or not I would keep my rank. (Not that it would really matter down the road)

I would stay in the guard because if you make it all the way through, it's very versatile in regards to ultimately switching to active if you want to (I'm only saying this because one of my Cadre at selection said so). Like I said, this isn't factual but just from first hand experience from someone else. If you did decide to go active though, you would retain your rank I'm 90% sure. idk if there are time in grade reqs. You will however go to OSUT, but probably around week 5 because youre not infantry

UPDATE: I was selected in January and am now in the Special Forces Qualification Course (SFQC). Thanks for all the support and answers to my questions.
Hey there, fellow 18x here. What was your exact timeline and how much time were you on holds? I'm shipping in June and I heard they're trying to streamline the whole process, but I'd be interested in hearing what your schedule was.

Congrats on being selected, by the way. Maybe I'll meet you down the line.

Hey there, fellow 18x here. What was your exact timeline and how much time were you on holds? I'm shipping in June and I heard they're trying to streamline the whole process, but I'd be interested in hearing what your schedule was.

Congrats on being selected, by the way. Maybe I'll meet you down the line.
Airborne hold around 2 weeks, SFPC hold for a month, Waited for selection about a week. You better run a 270-300 APFT or you're gonna be PTing with Training company at SWC for months, and it is... fun. I have a few friends that had admin holds and what not, and they have been having a lot of fun. As always, it falls into the, "right time right place," saying so who knows if you'll get lucky or not. Sorry if I seem sardonic, its just very few streamline the process and different holds.

Back