Quick question

Noodles0311

Unverified
I attended MAROC A&'S 15-2. I made it to the end and was not selected solely because my swim time, which while well within the minimum standard, was not competitive. As many of you you probably know, a lot of the cadre at A&S are former SF. MARSOC just hasn't been around long enough to have cadre that are organic to it. They rely on outside help. Anyways. I say that, to say this: I was very heartily encouraged by cadre to pursue an interservice transfer and an 18x contract. I spent about 2 weeks feeling sorry for myself and then I drove to the Army recruiter and handed him all the paperwork I had to start working this out. After months and months of getting strung on, he finally came back and told me that if I wanted an 18X contract, I had to change my current custody arrangement with my ex wife so that she had full custody. He said this was standard. It definitely is not SOCOM SOP, because MARSOC never even asked about it. Is this an Army thing? I really feel like I have a lot to offer as a combat vet who is smarter than your average bear and is a free thinker by nature. I am absolutely willing to bet on myself. If I tried out and got hurt or was non-select, I could live with being in a regular infantry unit. The notion of washing my hands of my son for a shot, no guarantees because injuries are somewhat random, at SF is unacceptable. I love you guys and admire you more than you'll ever realize. But I would be a huge piece of shit if I took that deal. Would you want to be on a team with a guy who abandoned his son to try out? Is this recruiter just blowing me off? He got a guy from my unit an 18x contract, which is why I sought him out.

How do you figure you have any chance at SFAS if you couldn't make it in the MARSOC equivalent?

"If I tried out and got hurt or was non-select, I could live with being in a regular infantry unit."

Hey, don't lower yourself for the Army's sake. :rolleyes:

You now know for a fact where you're behind the curve; why not just take another, more prepared run at A&S?

Because retired SF guys think so. I can ruck 12 miles in just over 2 hours, never missed a point in land nav and got very good peers. My swim is what killed me. I don't know what they tell people in SFAS about why they were non select, but at A&S, they sat us down with a computer and showed us how we were scored in every individual event as well as how peers and cardre rated us. The 1st phase of A&S is a lot of pool work. 3 hours straight, twice a week in fact. As a reservist who lives in an area where pools are closed in the winter, I had a disadvantage. I found a way to get in a private pool but that option was only available on Sundays for 2 hours. Technique is what made me slow in the water, not a lack of fitness.

"If I tried out and got hurt or was non-select, I could live with being in a regular infantry unit."

Hey, don't lower yourself for the Army's sake. :rolleyes:

You now know for a fact where you're behind the curve; why not just take another, more prepared run at A&S?
Wasn't trying to bust on the Army. Just saying that like anyone else who tries out on an 18x contract, if it didn't work out, it would be a disappointment. There are no 2nd shots at A&S. That's been the rule for a while now. Their explaination was 1) there aren't that many boat spaces to try out and 2) once you have done the role plays and team events, you then know the game.

I can't speak to any of the selection stuff but on your custody issues. The Army requires what's called a family care plan (FCP) for any Soldier with dependents. The FCP has to be in effect for basic and AIT (does not for SFAS and the Q-course).

Sounds like your recruiter was giving you a bastardized version of the FCP regulations. I'm sure all the services have something similar. FCP is covered in an Army Regulation (AR) - but I didn't google the number. I suggest you do that, get straight on the rules, then go back to your recruiter. Plenty of people go through basic and AIT with dependents, just need to have the right arrangements.

I can't speak to any of the selection stuff but on your custody issues. The Army requires what's called a family care plan (FCP) for any Soldier with dependents. The FCP has to be in effect for basic and AIT (does not for SFAS and the Q-course).

Sounds like your recruiter was giving you a bastardized version of the FCP regulations. I'm sure all the services have something similar. FCP is covered in an Army Regulation (AR) - but I didn't google the number. I suggest you do that, get straight on the rules, then go back to your recruiter. Plenty of people go through basic and AIT with dependents, just need to have the right arrangements.

Thank you. That is helpful.

Dude - you're saying the only line item on your name that prevented you from attending ITC was your swim time? This sounds like horse shit. Why? I live with one of your cadre, I've also met and known some of your other cadre for a few years now. There are no singular things other than integrity violations that fully eliminate a candidate.

You just outlined to us that your land navigation was perfect, you had excellent peer evaluations, and your ruck times were held at low 10-minute marks.

At least 30-40 candidates get dropped from the pool every class now: assuming your class roster was about 80-120 candidates that's about a third of the competition gone from the pool alone. Lets further assume that with your ruck times, your "perfect" navigation, your peer evaluations, and etc... that you are plotted at minimum, in the top 25 percentile. Assuming all of this is true, you are a perfect candidate to send to ITC.

Something doesn't smell right and it starts with your foundation.

Dude - you're saying the only line item on your name that prevented you from attending ITC was your swim time? This sounds like horse shit. Why? I live with one of your cadre, I've also met and known some of your other cadre for a few years now. There are no singular things other than integrity violations that fully eliminate a candidate.

You just outlined to us that your land navigation was perfect, you had excellent peer evaluations, and your ruck times were held at low 10-minute marks.

At least 30-40 candidates get dropped from the pool every class now: assuming your class roster was about 80-120 candidates that's about a third of the competition gone from the pool alone. Lets further assume that with your ruck times, your "perfect" navigation, your peer evaluations, and etc... that you are plotted at minimum, in the top 25 percentile. Assuming all of this is true, you are a perfect candidate to send to ITC.

Something doesn't smell right and it starts with your foundation.

I don't know what the policy is on this, but you have my permission to ask your friend about me. In fact, you are more than welcome to share it here. I am proud of how I did. A shit swim 11:37 is what they told me crushed my overall score. The only times I know my name was written down were at the pool for coming up on crossovers a couple times and maybe two times, a point sitter got me for not saying the scripted bit when I arrived.

The cadre was very positive about my chances if I went and tried out for SF. They never said it was a sure thing, nor would they. But they were very encouraging about it. It was not my idea, it was suggested to me when they asked what I was going to do next and I said I was non-ob and could enter the IRR whenever.

All I came here to ask was about the custody thing. I didn't in any way mean to imply that SFAS was easy, which I thought I made clear in my original post. Nevertheless, I had to clear that up again. In doing so, I mentioned that I did pretty alright at A&S, without trying to brag. Nothing to brag about. I wasn't selected. I think it may be I'll advised for me to say specifics, but my class was considerably larger than 120.

Take care gentlemen, I didn't mean to kick the bees nest. I just wanted some information on custody. I got what I needed. Stay safe out there.

Take care gentlemen, I didn't mean to kick the bees nest. I just wanted some information on custody. I got what I needed. Stay safe out there.

Including the whole A&S back story makes little sense, therefore. There's where your bee's nest came in.

If you're shopping this to other SOF type sites then just start with "I went to the Army recruiter..." and go from there, IMO.

Good luck.

I attended MAROC A&'S 15-2. I made it to the end and was not selected solely because my swim time...

So when I arrived home Mr. Noodles, believe me when I say you were not even a distant memory. My roommate was already there and we had been pretty busy with the burgers, bacon-wrapped asparagus, and drumsticks on the smoker when he spoke about getting a swim in tomorrow. That's when I brought up your story.

Here is why you are full of shit: (His words as an A&S cadre)

If you made it beyond Phase I of Assessment & Selection, as you had clearly identified making it to the "end" then a pool time was not what eliminated you from moving on to ITC. You are either delusional or a complete liar; either were likely influences of you not being selected in the first place.

Your original post is an obvious answer; no United States military service, branch, division, section, fraternity would influence a member or prospective member to absolve themselves of their children. That is ridiculous, but I like the little play you made exclaiming "what would the team guys think."

I know what I think about you.

H/A

So when I arrived home Mr. Noodles, believe me when I say you were not even a distant memory. My roommate was already there and we had been pretty busy with the burgers, bacon-wrapped asparagus, and drumsticks on the smoker when he spoke about getting a swim in tomorrow. That's when I brought up your story.

Here is why you are full of shit: (His words as an A&S cadre)

If you made it beyond Phase I of Assessment & Selection, as you had clearly identified making it to the "end" then a pool time was not what eliminated you from moving on to ITC. You are either delusional or a complete liar; either were likely influences of you not being selected in the first place.

Your original post is an obvious answer; no United States military service, branch, division, section, fraternity would influence a member or prospective member to absolve themselves of their children. That is ridiculous, but I like the little play you made exclaiming "what would the team guys think."

I know what I think about you.

H/A
What I know is what I was told. That's all they said. I don't have any reason to come here and try to impress you. I just retold my story in an attempt to get the best answer I could to my question. Thanks for your time.

Great, then ask yourself how giving us the details of how you performed at MARSOC Assessment & Selection assists us in determining the answer to your totally unrelated question about why a United States Army Recruiter would be concerned with your custody agreement.

Your ruck times, your swim times, your peer evaluations have no impact on your answer about the proposed topic. Despite your stance/responses, you absolutely did outline that little bit to impress people and this can be drawn easily by any logical person who has been on this forum for a while. Oh did the cadre really REALLY want you to make it to SFAS? You even went as far as elaborating and excusing yourself from your swim responsibilities despite the fact that there is a app on the android store developed by MARSOC to explain to you to prepare for swims. Once again - none of this was related to your questions..

What I do not like about you is that you not only tried to impress people while exclaiming your admiration for the community - but you did so while systematically insulting one of it's very institutions: The United States Marine Corps Special Operations Community.

You put out information that claims (though nobody believes your shit) that we would skip out on a perfectly good candidate over one fucking swim time despite "meeting the standard" as you put it. You stroked your little ego while giving the finger to the very community that many on this board are part of and have been for some time.

Rather than just staying quiet, you respond, lamely. Obviously you are going to stick to the "what I know is what I was told" approach. Zero responsibility for your preparation, zero accountability for yourself, and absolutely zero recognition that there are people here that have been around much longer than you.

Well guess what zero:

You were dropped or not selected because you are a fucking dipshit to a level which extends beyond any measure that can be obtained, examined, or monitored on a physical scale. I only hope you were told this as well and I really hope you get your shit together before you ever make another attempt into this community or anyone else's.

H/A

Last edited:
Great, then ask yourself how giving us the details of how you performed at MARSOC Assessment & Selection assists us in determining the answer to your totally unrelated question about why a United States Army Recruiter would be concerned with your custody agreement.

Your ruck times, your swim times, your peer evaluations have no impact on your answer about the proposed topic. Despite your stance/responses, you absolutely did outline that little bit to impress people and this can be drawn easily by any logical person who has been on this forum for a while. Oh did the cadre really REALLY want you to make it to SFAS? You even went as far as elaborating and excusing yourself from your swim responsibilities despite the fact that there is a app on the android store developed by MARSOC to explain to you to prepare for swims. Once again - none of this was related to your questions..

What I do not like about you is that you not only tried to impress people while exclaiming your admiration for the community - but you did so while systematically insulting one of it's very institutions: The United States Marine Corps Special Operations Community.

You put out information that claims (though nobody believes your shit) that we would skip out on a perfectly good candidate over one fucking swim time despite "meeting the standard" as you put it. You stroked your little ego while giving the finger to the very community that many on this board are part of and have been for some time.

Rather than just staying quiet, you respond, lamely. Obviously you are going to stick to the "what I know is what I was told" approach. Zero responsibility for your preparation, zero accountability for yourself, and absolutely zero recognition that there are people here that have been around much longer than you.

Well guess what zero:

You were dropped or not selected because you are a fucking dipshit to a level which extends beyond any measure that can be obtained, examined, or monitored on a physical scale. I only hope you were told this as well and I really hope you get your shit together before you ever make another attempt into this community or anyone else's.

H/A
I have to disagree. I mentioned how I performed in response to the post asking how I thought I could possibly attend SFAS if I was not selected at A&S, not to brag. These things are from separate posts. I had no inention of disparaging anyone or any organization, or making excuses. If you would like, I can give you my information and you can see how I did for yourself since you live with cadre. If not, I don't really have anything else to say. Take care.

This has gone beyond a "Quick Question". If you want to continue the recent exchanges, take it to pm.

Back