Shots Fired! Shots Fired!

I saw this on facebook a little while ago on break. I'm nowhere near experienced enough to know the answers, so I was curious if there was any type of guarantee that you know your shots can be on target firing through the windshield like that.

Does the glass have enough effect to make this a no go in terms of sending lead flying anywhere by characteristics of the bullet through the windshield, or is this more common than one would think?

FUUUCK YEAH. Better than Hollywood. But how about some kind of hands-free comm system for LEOs? That's a lot of handset work.

I saw this on facebook a little while ago on break. I'm nowhere near experienced enough to know the answers, so I was curious if there was any type of guarantee that you know your shots can be on target firing through the windshield like that.

Does the glass have enough effect to make this a no go in terms of sending lead flying anywhere by characteristics of the bullet through the windshield, or is this more common than one would think?

From linked page:

"...In the event the threat is directly in front of you, the steering wheel can act as a support mechanism and prevent you from accidentally pushing the weapon into the glass...
The second major variable in shooting through a windshield is the angle of the glass. A bullet in flight is heavier in the rear than in the front. When the front of the bullet strikes glass at an angle (whether the trajectory of the bullet or the position of the glass creates the angle), the part of the bullet that touched the glass slows down first and causes the rear of the bullet to begin moving around to the front. When the bullet breaks through the glass, it continues moving in that direction. In other words, shooting from the inside of a vehicle straight through the windshield, the first round typically strikes high on the target, if it hits the target at all. For many people, this is the opposite of what they think should happen..."

Shooting from Vehicles: Basic Techniques

windshield-before-after-560.jpg

shooting-results-on-target.jpg

Last edited:

It's pretty common to train to shoot through windshields and side windows... the POA and POI difference is really not much, out of the windshield...non-existent out of the sides. We seriously started to train with this after the Dallas PD shootings, BLM, and up tick of police ambushes....before that we did it every now and then for familiarity , now it's regular training.

Engage the threat, then get out of the car and address the issue.

FUUUCK YEAH. Better than Hollywood. But how about some kind of hands-free comm system for LEOs? That's a lot of handset work.

There has to be a manual way to queue the mic. If it was a BT VA setup, everyone on that freq, would wind up walking all over each other during an event such as this.

Good shoot BTW.

Can't think of a manual way....feet are busy....hands are busy....once you get a second vehicle in the pursuit, the second unit should be giving radio traffic so the first can concentrate on driving, or in this case shooting =)

But, as you all know....adrenaline is a bitch

Can't think of a manual way....feet are busy....hands are busy....once you get a second vehicle in the pursuit, the second unit should be giving radio traffic so the first can concentrate on driving, or in this case shooting =)

But, as you all know....adrenaline is a bitch
I was thinking the buttons on the steering wheel. Thumb access while still driving.

It's pretty common to train to shoot through windshields and side windows... the POA and POI difference is really not much, out of the windshield...non-existent out of the sides. We seriously started to train with this after the Dallas PD shootings, BLM, and up tick of police ambushes....before that we did it every now and then for familiarity , now it's regular training.

Engage the threat, then get out of the car and address the issue.

Very true on the deflection from within side, especial once you punch a hole and continue. However, very different shooting into a windshield from the outside.

Right? That angle shot from the outside to the inside is a bitch sometimes...gotta get up on the windshield and take as much of the angle out of the equation.
I was thinking the buttons on the steering wheel. Thumb access while still driving.

That would be a neat addition to the situation...until you are in turning onto to streets every two seconds. But add a steering wheel switch with a mic would be a good combo.

Back