Work in the Pararescue field

Rgmg1118

Unverified
Hello Pararescuemen, first of all thank you for your awesome service. I'm in ROTC and I am interested in a CRO career. I have some questions though. What kind of jobs do you find yourselves doing most often? I heard that true CSAR was kind of rare, and the commanding officers of the Air Force started making you guys do MEDEVACs. I also noticed that while watching Inside Combat Rescue on Natgeo. This wouldnt affect my future plans, it's just out of curiosity. Also, how likely is it for a CRO to be attached to an STS unit? Thanks guys I appreciate your response.

Sorry about that. I was asking for some personal experience from PJs in rescue squandrons. I spoke personally to a PJ before and I saw some answers that PJs gave to questions on this forum saying something like they don't enjoy MEDEVACS missions as much as others they do, and that these missions are becoming more common for them. So I was wondering if their job consists mostly of fast evacuations or CSAR these days. Thanks.

So, I'll throw some words on here.

Hopefully, we are out of the MEDEVAC game. For the time being, we aren't written into the current architecture to be, but you never know. Ignore the NATGEO special. That was a recruiting tool and showed 20% of our capability in one location when we had 10 locations doing work.

To answer "what do you do most often"- we don't do a shit ton of PR (NOT CSAR) because there aren't a lot of dudes getting shot down. Good problem to have, really. Short answer- our job these days consists of training, equipping, and employing as a dedicated PR force in a myriad of environments and employment/deployment capabilities, to include direct support and "classic" PR postures.

As for CRO's to STS's- its common. There aren't a ton of billets (this is relatively new, 4-5 years old max), but our career field and AFSOF et al is going to be making some sweeping changes in the next 10 years. Exciting time to be around, honestly.

Thanks Amlove21, cleared up all my doubts there. Yeah I wish NATGEO would of showed more diversified missions, it just contributes to people thinking PJs are just EMTs on steroids. If a CRO is assigned to an STS unit, do you think he would ever get the chance to be assigned to a unit like STOs sometimes are? Do you know any CRO that has been assigned to socom unit? Thanks.

I didn't mean to say "STS unit" by the way just sts

By "assigned" I meant "attached" to a SF team or SEAL team. Sorry for the poor wording.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Amlove21, cleared up all my doubts there. Yeah I wish NATGEO would of showed more diversified missions, it just contributes to people thinking PJs are just EMTs on steroids. If a CRO is assigned to an STS unit, do you think he would ever get the chance to be assigned to a unit like STOs sometimes are? Do you know any CRO that has been assigned to socom unit? Thanks.
Yeah, just edit your posts if you think of something new as opposed to making 3 posts.

It depends on the mission set and what exactly the user groups needs. I cant think of many scenarios where a ground team would need a CRO vs STO (remember STO's carry a JTAC qual usually, whereas CRO's do not.)

I know a couple of CRO's that work in various spots inside of many different commands. STS, SOCOM, JSOC, etc.

So, I'll throw some words on here.

Hopefully, we are out of the MEDEVAC game. For the time being, we aren't written into the current architecture to be, but you never know. Ignore the NATGEO special. That was a recruiting tool and showed 20% of our capability in one location when we had 10 locations doing work.

To answer "what do you do most often"- we don't do a shit ton of PR (NOT CSAR) because there aren't a lot of dudes getting shot down. Good problem to have, really. Short answer- our job these days consists of training, equipping, and employing as a dedicated PR force in a myriad of environments and employment/deployment capabilities, to include direct support and "classic" PR postures.

As for CRO's to STS's- its common. There aren't a ton of billets (this is relatively new, 4-5 years old max), but our career field and AFSOF et al is going to be making some sweeping changes in the next 10 years. Exciting time to be around, honestly.

I'm a cone down at Kirtland right now and have heard similar talk about changes to the career field lately. Could you elude more on what exactly that means? Some instructors have said that RQS's are turning into more of STS's in the way they operate, PJ's are becoming more of a ground force, AF direct action teams are forming.. etc. I don't know what's true and what's not, not to mention what this all even means?

I'm a cone down at Kirtland right now and have heard similar talk about changes to the career field lately. Could you elude more on what exactly that means? Some instructors have said that RQS's are turning into more of STS's in the way they operate, PJ's are becoming more of a ground force, AF direct action teams are forming.. etc. I don't know what's true and what's not, not to mention what this all even means?
Don't worry about it, you're a student and need to focus on graduation.
Change is constant, and you will see a lot over the course of your career, just focus on getting through the pipeline.

Back