Not Work Safe :

amlove21

Pararescue
Administrator
SSMP
SOF Mentor
That was actually good.
Right?!?! I keep trying to explain the album; @AWP nailed the sound/influences. It's a straight up enjoyable punk pop album (with WAY better writing) that sounds like the best Blink 182 and Sum 41 album from that time period. I am as confused as we all are.

But I have had it on repeat for the last 3 days.

Cookie_

SOF Support
Guitar centric music is coming back into popularity, but other than a few rock bands (Bring me the Horzion and Falling in Reverse come to mind) most of it is younger rappers/alt-pop stars.
Guys like MGK and Yungblud are bringing it back.

amlove21

Pararescue
Administrator
SSMP
SOF Mentor
#1 thing about the album is the writing. It makes sense that a rapper who is known for rapping fast and layered bars would be able to slow it down, and really explore concepts he has to fit into a 4 bar punch; but I hope (*HOPE) to find out that he's been the writing force behind his music. He essentially taught himself how to play guitar. I present to you one of his earliest moves to his current style. It's a hidden gem, and given where he is now...

In this song, a cover of Rise Against's "Swing Life Away" (another personal favorite), MGK couples with Kellen Quinn (punk/ALT big name) and you can hear in the BARS where Colson is going. Ain't nobody like you when you'fre 23... sound familiar? He even sings in the end. This video, for me shows where he wanted to go the whole time. Oh, and he had a huge event in Cleveland to open his own small business and give back to the Land.

I'll be #LacedTheFuckUP if you need me.

amlove21

Pararescue
Administrator
SSMP
SOF Mentor
If MGK goes back to rap after this album he's dead as an artist and doing open mic at some shit bar for tips.
Look at us. The two of us. Just you, and me, agreeing completely about MGK's future from a pure and healthy place.

2020, folks. Wilder times have never been seen.

He can never go back to rap, so let's see what he does here. And you're right.