Antidepressants and the serving Military

Ocoka

Combined Action
Verified Military
How much, if any, of a stigma is attached to the use of antidepressants by career military personnel for treatment of PTSD?

The reason I ask, I've been on VA-prescribed sertraline for almost 20 years and it has been so beneficial to me. It literally changed my life for the better by helping me to be more optimistic, have a more positive outlook. The anger and rage I had has all but subsided. I can still get melancholy about lost brothers etc, but it's important sometimes to be sad about things like that...if it's not long duration. I think it would be a great help, depending on a person's physiology, for treating PTSD in active-duty personnel.

DA SWO

SOWT
Verified SOF
Less than years past.

I know AD/Reservists that are anti-depressents and are still serving. The big key seems to be the severity of the PTSD, and can you function.

DocIllinois

Verified Military
I can't speak for the other company departments, but from within an Infantry unit perspective, there was very much an understanding that in some dude's cases who have deployed PTSD was going to be a fact of life for them for a certain time. Possibly from then on. So no stigma, especially considering the duration of our wars and the number of folks who have rotated through them at this point.

So whatever, within regs, helped a guy with any symptoms and kept a good troop in the unit family was cool. If the job was still done to standard and you kept the impression that you'd go down range with them, it wasn't a big issue.