At some point the Army is going to run out of beret colors

Gunz

Combined Action
Verified Military
What I do not agree with is this notion that every Marine is "Special".
Yeah, I don't agree with that, either...by a long shot. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the "special" in special operations pertains to the types of missions those unit are tasked with. Aside from Recon, Raiders and Scout/Snipers, the rank and file infantry are generally--with some exceptions for expediency or unique circumstances--confined to conventional operations.

I've met my share of Marines who are anything but "special."

Teufel

Force Recon
Verified SOF
The Marine Corps didn’t want to join SOCOM because the service didn’t want to give up capabilities, resources, and manpower to an organization outside the naval forces. We are a small service and resource taxes like MARSOC, Marine Security Guards, and MARFORCYBER cut us deep.

@DZ you, or SOCOM for that matter, were never the target for that propaganda. I believe that audience has always resides inside our own service. We need our Marines, especially our combat support career fields, to believe they are ‘special’ and strive to live up to that standard. It’s part of what defines us as a service.

lindy

SOF Support
The Marine Corps didn’t want to join SOCOM because the service didn’t want to give up capabilities, resources, and manpower to an organization outside the naval forces. We are a small service and resource taxes like MARSOC, Marine Security Guards, and MARFORCYBER cut us deep.
I attended a conference where SOCS-F manpower and training were discussed and I think the entire audience was shocked how small the force actually is. From my experience, the SOCS-F are on par (knowledge, skills, and abilities) with another unnamed unit.

I’d like to see some of the MSOTs debrief their recent CENTCOM experience with Agency historians to preserve the facts.

Devildoc

Verified Military
My comment wasn't directed at anyone on the board, but at the attitude I hear from Marines a lot, ie the reason the Marines didn't join SOCOM to begin with. "All Marines are special already."
Yes, you hear that, because that's what they want you to believe. They say it so often, they start buying into it, too.

Reactions: DZ