Beirut Explosion

Devildoc

Verified Military
Ho-lee shit but that was an impressive explosion!

I just saw a different video of it, that was just nuts.

SisyphusGlad

Unverified
Didn't see a thread for this so I thought I'd get the discussion going. Mods please delete if I'm out of my lane.

ChangeSocks

Corpsman
Verified Military
Yeah that was quite big I'd say. Do fireworks create a cloud like that? I remember a firework warehouse video from Mexico (I think) years ago and, though it was a big explosion, you could still at least see fireworks going off. That just seemed like a big explosion.

Edit: As I was, I can see some fireworks I suppose, but that second blast was massive still.

medicchick

Farking hot weather
I read several places it was a grain silo at the port that went. It looked more like electricity sparking with small explosions first to me.

ctree

CRNA
Verified Military
Ammonium Nitrate is supposedly the culprit according to an article I read.

Ooh-Rah

Marine
Ammonium Nitrate is supposedly the culprit according to an article I read.
You're new here, but if you are going to reference "an article I read", then it is expected you will also provide a link.

racing_kitty

Sister Mary Hellfire
Verified Military
Not gonna lie, that shock wave was gorgeous.

Unofficial word from amongst my tribe is that there was a boat with fireworks on board. There’s one video out there where you can see it cooking off. On my phone, I was quite skeptical of that, but on a different screen I could see it better.

Anyway, that boat caught on fire. Not good. That right there is already what I’d call a bad fucking day. That boat just happened to be located right next to a warehouse where a fuckton of confiscated chemicals and explosives (sodium nitrate and possibly AN) were kept for a couple of years ( let that sink in for a second...)

The grain silo @medicchick references is right beside that warehouse,, but I digress.

So yeah, fireworks on fire get fucking hot as balls. That shit also gets verrrrrrrry touchy. Word from witnesses was that there was a smaller det before that big motherfucker. That would be the fireworks. Heat, shock and friction were adequately applied to that warehouse chock full of really touchy shit as a result. The end result is Exhibit A.