Can a Christian be a warrior?

x SF med

the Troll
Not far from the south of Canada, 'Murica!
One's faith can make for an outstanding warrior, as can one's lack of faith. I've known complete agnostics and people of many faiths who are fine warriors, and also the converse.

To me this question has no merit. I also feel it is more a troll than a question. Why would faith matter?

Ocoka

Combined Action
Verified Military
Christians, Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus...all of them proficient mass killers and able to rationalize killing without a shred of guilt. Welcome to planet Earth.

Last edited:

AWP

Formerly Known as Freefalling
Administrator
Roman Catholic. Catholic Poland played a significant role. But so did Orthodox Christian Russia as far as fighting the muslim hordes. Much of this article is well cited. There is quite a variety in the tribes, however, most if not all were Roman Catholic.

Crusader states - Wikipedia
You totally missed the point of his post.

King David was a warrior. He fought I'm many battles and killed many men. His story is told in 1st and 2nd Samuel in the Bible. Furthermore, there are many times King David killed on behalf of God's wishes whether to extinguish extreme evil, or to help God's overall plan for His people.

Ooh-Rah

Marine
King David was a warrior. He fought I'm many battles and killed many men. His story is told in 1st and 2nd Samuel in the Bible. Furthermore, there are many times King David killed on behalf of God's wishes whether to extinguish extreme evil, or to help God's overall plan for His people.
You totally missed the point of his post.

Topkick

Verified Military
Although many may find this a simple question, I am curious to hear veteran perspectives. Thank you in advance.
You have to do what you feel is right. I personally feel religion is a personal thing and you have to do you. I wouldn't let anyone else answer this question for me.

Devildoc

Verified Military
To answer the question, sure. My faith has guided a lot of what I did/do, but not as much as it should. But having a faith and shooting booger-eaters aren't mutually exclusive.

Marauder06

Intel Enabler
I’m pretty sure King David wasn’t a Christian.

I’m pretty sure King David wasn’t a Christian.
You're right he followed Judiasm. Regardless, David followed the wishes of God - the same God that gave life to Jesus according to the Holy Bible. Jesus was a direct desendent of David therefore Christianity was not yet an established religion when David was alive. David followed the old law AKA the Torah which is the first five books of the Bible.

x SF med

the Troll
Not far from the south of Canada, 'Murica!
the Torah which is the first five books of the Bible.
The Torah is the entire old Testament plus a little, the Pentateuch is the first five books of the Bible. The Pentateuch is the guiding light of the Torah, where the laws and royal families are expounded.

David followed the laws of Solomon and the pre-Torahic form of Judaism.