Disgraced sailor who went to federal prison for taking photos of classified areas inside a nuclear submarine is being considered for pardon by Justice

Ooh-Rah

Marine
I had forgotten about this guy...

Disgraced sailor being considered for pardon by Justice Department | Daily Mail Online

In 2009, at age 22, Kristian Saucier took six photographs inside the classified area of the U.S.S. Alexandria, a nuclear submarine and eventually pleaded guilty of unauthorized possession and retention of national defense information.

Saucier served a year in federal prison for the offense. Now at 31-year-old, the former sailor is trying to clear his name for good but has ran into obstacles along the way.

Marauder06

Intel Enabler
There is no parole in the federal judicial system, sir. Prisoners serve out their maximum sentences, though some may earn ‘good time’ and have them shortened.
Interesting! I did not know that. I thought everyone was on parole after they left prison.

DC

Navy Diver
SOF Support
But, the rules were clear, I'm special, I had to break them by taking pictures to show 'my family' where I worked... I didn't think breaking an NDA was wrong... Can I be a SEAL?

That's what I read.
Or sell cool guys sunglasses C73BDB12-F70A-47E1-92AF-34A3A31B16C2.jpeg

Ocoka

Combined Action
Verified Military
I had forgotten about this guy...

Disgraced sailor being considered for pardon by Justice Department | Daily Mail Online

In 2009, at age 22, Kristian Saucier took six photographs inside the classified area of the U.S.S. Alexandria, a nuclear submarine and eventually pleaded guilty of unauthorized possession and retention of national defense information.

Saucier served a year in federal prison for the offense. Now at 31-year-old, the former sailor is trying to clear his name for good but has ran into obstacles along the way.
What kind of uniform is he wearing in the first picture of this article? Khaki with six rows of ribbons?

Kaldak

Verified Military
My question is why the dump supervisor was digging through trash, and then looking at pictures on a phone that managed to still have battery life?

I want that battery.

DA SWO

SOWT
Verified SOF
Slight disagree.
The previous administration had numerous individuals mis-handled classified info, and none of them lost a clearance, let alone went to jail.
If no criminal intent is good enough for the ruling class, then why not show a little leniency here.
He served his time, and should get his constitutional rights restored.

RustyShackleford

Ranger
Verified SOF
There is federal probation, but that is set up at the time of sentencing.
Correct. Federal parole was abolished, however there are still folks out there who fall under the old federal parole parole system. Upon release from service of sentence, federal prisoners fall under probation, which was determined at sentencing.

It appears the seaman referenced above doesn’t like the fact that his conviction inhibits his career possibilities. Therefore he is seeking a pardon. I vote no!

AWP

Formerly Known as Freefalling
Administrator
This guy was on a sub and didn't know, or care, what was classified? Fail. He took a phone into a classified area? Double fail.