Ha Ha!!! I hope this is real.

LimaPanther

Recon Marine
Verified SOF
Prior to 1982 the SF had no long tab. When they came out with it they said that all of us prior to then could wear it. We said that all we needed was the patch with our airborne and ranger tabs. If they didn't know we were qualified then screw them. Anyone remember what the qual course before Robin Sage was called?

DA SWO

SOWT
Verified SOF
Prior to 1982 the SF had no long tab. When they came out with it they said that all of us prior to then could wear it. We said that all we needed was the patch with our airborne and ranger tabs. If they didn't know we were qualified then screw them. Anyone remember what the qual course before Robin Sage was called?
Vietnam?

LimaPanther

Recon Marine
Verified SOF
Robin Sage was name officially given in 1974. Do have to say that the name is appropriate because going on a date with her will about kill you :-) We called it something prior so yes it was during the VietNam time frame. Name we used now doesn't seem to fit. There actually were 2 names given.

LimaPanther

Recon Marine
Verified SOF
You are correct. Actually Gobbler's Woods. Previous known as Cherokee Trail. When were you with SF?

Isiah6:8

Just googled President's 100. Had no idea. I know the Marines have their own badge for competition shooters. Pretty cool.

The President's 100 is a pretty incredible feat. There is a thread over on another forum run by GB's documenting one shooter and his journey in earning it. Pretty cool read if you have some time.

Salt USMC

Intel
SOF Support
Just googled President's 100. Had no idea. I know the Marines have their own badge for competition shooters. Pretty cool.
Those badges aren’t unique to the Marines. They’re awarded by the Civilian Marksmanship Program for placing in CMP sanctioned competitions. Any service member can earn and wear them, provided they do well enough. It is strange that I’ve never seen any service BUT Marines wear them. In fact, my senior DI had the distinguished international rifle badge which he earned during his time in the MCRD San Diego shooting team.

Devildoc

Verified Military
Those badges aren’t unique to the Marines. They’re awarded by the Civilian Marksmanship Program for placing in CMP sanctioned competitions. Any service member can earn and wear them, provided they do well enough. It is strange that I’ve never seen any service BUT Marines wear them. In fact, my senior DI had the distinguished international rifle badge which he earned during his time in the MCRD San Diego shooting team.

Interesting, had no clue. Yeah, the only uniforms I've ever seen them on have been Marines.