Has anyone gone from the reserves to active recon?

08none

Verified Military
I know that they are hurting for guys right now and I was looking into trying to make the switch mentioned in the title (I've been training and wanting to do this for a while now). I'm currently in the Reserves as a 0811 and trying to make that switch and there isn't a lot of info that the recon recruiter, a normal recruiter or my career planner was able to give me. If any of you were able to do this, could you provide some insight on how you made the switch and the process you went through?

arch_angel

Verified Military
I can't speak for the process involving Recon specifically. I can however give you a good idea of where to start.

You're going to have to submit a PSEP package, which will likely require you to also request a conditional release (assuming you're still an obligated reservist). Realistially a regular recruiter and sometimes a career planner should be able to assist you with getting the documents submitted to HQMC, specifically to Reserve Affairs.

Biggest incentive for a recruiter is the fact that they get points if you're non-ob. If you're still obligated it's more of a hook up. There's also specific guidance related to being able to lat-move into/out of MOS's deemed critical. Honestly, if you have your career planner call up Reserve Affairs at HQMC, they will be able to get you pointed in the right direction. Another option is to google 'USMC PSEP' and it should yeild you some good info. Hope this helps.

Found the order: MCO 1130.80B