MEPS Prescreens & Waivers

APN47

Unverified
I've used the search function quite a bit and though there was a lot of threads on waivers and MEPS, I couldn't find an exact answer to my question.

My recruiter put in my prescreen to MEPS 29 days ago and said because it was over 150 pages of documentation, it would take around 30 days to get back. The reason for so many documents is because of the 3 surgeries I had (PCL reconstruction (right knee) 2014, Labrum repair (Left shoulder) 2016, Lateral release (left knee) 2017) and getting all the PT visits, post/pre operation docs and everything else required. I've looked at the AR 40-501 and I feel confident that I won't need a waiver since I can pass the flexibility tests and my shoulder/knees don't feel unstable. However, given how long this process has taken, going on my 2nd recruiter, the amount of surgeries i've had and reading through the MEPS horror stories, I'm preparing for it, just in case. Here's where I have a couple questions.

I asked my recruiter what the exact purpose of the prescreen was and if/when I needed a waiver, when would that be administered. I was told the prescreen was to identify any automatic disqualifying conditions and they'd determine whether I needed a waiver for my surgeries based off what was sent up with the prescreen. I found that a little odd that they'd determine if a waiver was needed without ever actually examining me in-person, so I called another recruiter to determine if that was accurate.

Recruiter #2 said that the prescreen was to determine if I had any disqualifying conditions (just like recruiter #1 mentioned), but that it had no affect on the waiver process. He said they basically want to make sure the surgeries in and of themselves were not disqualifying (multiple surgeries on the same thing, sawing off my leg, etc.) and that it only clears me to come up and take the physical (the waiver process would be determined by the results of the physical). So my questions are:

1. Who's right?

2. Are Medical Waivers a package deal, or based on each individual conditon? What I mean by that is, would there ever be a time when the recruiter might say something like "Hey, we got the waiver for your knee squared away, now were just waiting on your shoulder" or is a medical waiver an umbrella term for anything that you need waived (1 medical waiver for multiple surgeries)?

I apologize if this was already covered, I tried searching on here as best I could before posting.

APN47

Unverified
UPDATE:

I know this post hasn’t seen much activity, but I figured I should update my situation in case someone in a similar dilemma finds it while searching the site in the future.

My prescreen kept getting kicked back because they kept saying they needed more documentation and rather than explaining everything they needed at once, they would only mention 1 document everytime it was returned.

As of yesterday, everything has been accepted so that I can come up to MEPS this Monday and do the physical, but also meet with the doctor.

It has been explained to me that I have a 3 on my PUHLES for lower extremities due to the surgeries and before I can enlist and go through the physical, I have to get cleared by the doctor up there (upon seeing the doctor, it would be his call to lower my rating to a 1 or 2).

I was also told that it would be up to the doctor at MEPS to determined if I needed a waiver or if my body seemed healthy enough to go in without one.

Ooh-Rah

Marine
@APN47

Thanks for the update, it is always appreciated and often valuable.

In hindsight, anything you would have done differently?

APN47

Unverified
@APN47

Thanks for the update, it is always appreciated and often valuable.

In hindsight, anything you would have done differently?
No problem!

I really worked well with my recruitor. As soon as she asked me for a document, I was either handing it in within the day or setting up an appointment to get it taken care of within a few days.

So, as far as anything I would do differently, it would probably just be to trust the process more. I spent a lot of time over the past couple months stressing myself out over situations I had no control over. I’d want to have stopped worrying about why it was taking so long and focus only on what I could control.

I have a similar situation with my eyes. I had lasik YEARS ago. Well, the military requires certain checkups at certain times that my doctor did not do. I’m off for that consult tomorrow to decide if I need a waiver for my vision. I dealt with a similar situation with my first recruiter with them just asking for one thing at a time. Thankfully, the current recruiter had this situation before and he just said, “go get” and gave me a list.

Glad you got it sorted out and thanks for posting

APN47

Unverified
I have a similar situation with my eyes. I had lasik YEARS ago. Well, the military requires certain checkups at certain times that my doctor did not do. I’m off for that consult tomorrow to decide if I need a waiver for my vision. I dealt with a similar situation with my first recruiter with them just asking for one thing at a time. Thankfully, the current recruiter had this situation before and he just said, “go get” and gave me a list.

Glad you got it sorted out and thanks for posting
Thanks,

I hope everything works out for you

digrar

custom user title
Verified Military
In the desert or Victoria, depending on the date
So, as far as anything I would do differently, it would probably just be to trust the process more. I spent a lot of time over the past couple months stressing myself out over situations I had no control over. I’d want to have stopped worrying about why it was taking so long and focus only on what I could control.
I run a site primarily concerned with recruitment into the Australian Defence Force. I just got a thank you message from a mother last week. They'd been through one of our medical waiver threads and got a heads up about the 8-12 week normal waiting time for processing, which is not something Defence Jobs will usually confirm or deny when asked by potential recruits. Seeing dozens and dozens of other kids having gone through the same process on our site saved a lot of stress in their house.