Newly Enlisted | Army 18X

Looney

Unverified
Hey everybody.

Last month I signed my 18X (Special Forces Candidate) contract with the Army and found Shadow Spear while reading up on the Q-Course. I decided to join the forum because I wanted to be able to connect with more experienced individuals and ensure I'm prepared for SFPC & SFAS. Also, I’ll be doing my best to document the process and give any advice for future candidates who read my posts.

Here's some of my background...
I grew up in the midwest with a good family. I wasn’t very social though, so in high school I started lifting, wrestling, and fighting to fill my time. I went to college for 6 days before dropping out and doing business full time. Over the last five years, I’ve lived in six cities, built two businesses, and had a lot of great experiences. I’m very ambitious, so the idea of becoming a soldier and eventually getting to a special operations team was always in my head. After I made some money, it clicked that this could all be done in my forties, but the opportunity to join the Special Operations Forces would never come back.

I started trying to join the Navy in February 2019, but after a faulty vision test, I was disqualified from a SEAL contract. I tried to appeal, but as you may guess they refused to update the records. The Navy then delayed my entry into the Army for ~4 months because they didn’t want to record me as a loss. It’s been a pain in the dick that’s cost me a lot of money and time, but I’ve got my contract now and I’m physically and mentally prepared. I’ll be on a plane to Fort Benning February 4th. Counting down the days.

Looking forward to connecting with you guys. Thanks.
– Looney

AlexSmir

Unverified
Hello and welcome:) Your journey will not be too easy, so good luck:) And here's one more... Many years ago when I was 14, doctors recorded a pile of shit to my medfile. By 23 I was one of the best detachment's leaders in a unit similar to one you've been dropped from. We also had a medic who's vision was far from perfect when he was young. He made it great through the unit service and proceeded to an analogue of your SWAT after getting his O-3. Do not ever quit no matter what happens.

Looney

Unverified
Hello and welcome:) Your journey will not be too easy, so good luck:) And here's one more... Many years ago when I was 14, doctors recorded a pile of shit to my medfile. By 23 I was one of the best detachment's leaders in a unit similar to one you've been dropped from. We also had a medic who's vision was far from perfect when he was young. He made it great through the unit service and proceeded to an analogue of your SWAT after getting his O-3. Do not ever quit no matter what happens.
Definitely. There's no way I'm going to VW (I know everyone says this, but whatever.). If I get hurt, I'll recover and come back. If I get dropped, I'll probably know why and come back if I get the opportunity once I've gotten better. As far as I know, right now I'm on track to being prepared. I'm studying land nav, learning the arabic alphabet, shooting for consistent sub-14min mile pace on 60 lb rucks, and can basically run 7:30 miles at all times after getting smoked.

And for the record, I appealed with three vision tests from three different doctors all saying I was between 20/20 and 20/25. So my vision is good, just arbitrary procedures I guess.

sgtcoxjb

Marine
Verified Military
Currently pursuing the same, good luck to you! Hope we both arrive.

lindy

SOF Support
By 23 I was one of the best detachment's leaders in a unit similar to one you've been dropped from. We also had a medic who's vision was far from perfect when he was young. He made it great through the unit service and proceeded to an analogue of your SWAT after getting his O-3.
How long were you in the GRU?

AlexSmir

Unverified
How long were you in the GRU?
GRU is the main directorate. You seem to rate everything MI-related as GRU. I spent around 10 years somewhere around... But that was long ago. Seems to happen to someone else:)

AlexSmir

Unverified
Definitely. There's no way I'm going to VW (I know everyone says this, but whatever.). If I get hurt, I'll recover and come back. If I get dropped, I'll probably know why and come back if I get the opportunity once I've gotten better. As far as I know, right now I'm on track to being prepared. I'm studying land nav, learning the arabic alphabet, shooting for consistent sub-14min mile pace on 60 lb rucks, and can basically run 7:30 miles at all times after getting smoked.

And for the record, I appealed with three vision tests from three different doctors all saying I was between 20/20 and 20/25. So my vision is good, just arbitrary procedures I guess.
As far as I'm educated about US SOF you do well:) Running 7:30 a mile means 4:40 a kilo... Hurry up if possible. Still some room for improvement. Though this is a 10-km pace, perhaps good for long running-smoking sessions... Mind your ruck weight for the backpacking and try not to go above 25 kg for the training purposes paying more attention to the pace. I bet your knees will thank you some 10 years ago. Arabic is a glorious language, I used to study it. Perhaps it's high time to pick some dialect and start with it. Few people speak fuSHa (though most educated do)... And to speak about landnav...It's a matter of practice for sure. Any good map has a plenty of hints, as some of guys here said:" It is similar to reading Matrix." Good luck:)