Open Mic Thread

lindy

SOF Support
I"m going to hit mandatory retirement from the military in a couple of years and I'm considering government jobs. If I go that route, I hope I don't end up in an environment like the one you described.

In my opinion, I’d recommend a USG job for you if you wanted to be a decision maker and actually run USG-things but there are also same management opportunities within contract companies, where the QOL is overall better but job security isn’t. I know a TON of retired O-5 35Ds in my org at the GG-15 level and a few O-6s that were transitioned to GG-15s but were quickly elevated to SES-level. I personally get frustrated when a GG-15 under 40 yrs old has to ask me how SOF SIGINT works because, in my mind, that pay grade assumes expertise beyond watching 30 Hours or Zero Dark Thirty.

The BEST takeaway from a Federal job is the FERS retirement package but your military retirement benefits offset that (IMO) and benefits are slowly being eroded for new hires.

Personally, I’d like to move over to USMS or HSI and do the F3EAD against human trafficking and help liberate trafficked kids. Basically doing same thing but against pedos vice terrorists.

GOTWA

Half Faceless Man
Verified Military
I personally get frustrated when a GG-15 under 40 yrs old has to ask me how SOF SIGINT works because, in my mind, that pay grade assumes expertise beyond watching 30 Hours or Zero Dark Thirty.
I was driving yesterday when I legitimately thought to myself, now that Lindy is back, he's gonna push that 35P propaganda on everyone again. Then I thought, I wonder if he knows he's just an 09L with a radio.

:ROFLMAO:;-)

lindy

SOF Support
... "diversity" means hiring middle aged liberal caucasian females into senior leadership positions, so we can spend our time on Teams or Zoom calls talking about kittens, puppies and so on...

To drive this insanity home to those on the outside, this is a real vacancy in the USG. Check out the salary and remember to pay your taxes citizen!

Responsibilities​

Salary reflects a pay cap for this position of $273,400.

Provide leadership to FDIC’s Office of Women and Minority Inclusion (OWMI) and serve as the agency senior technical expert on all matters relating to diversity in management, employment and business activities.

Director, Office of Minority and Women Inclusion (OMWI), EM-0301

Marauder06

Intel Enabler
To drive this insanity home to those on the outside, this is a real vacancy in the USG. Check out the salary and remember to pay your taxes citizen!

Director, Office of Minority and Women Inclusion (OMWI), EM-0301
Wow. I think that's twice what I'm getting paid as an O5 with over 25 years in.

Part of the problem with these types of positions is there is a whole lot of job justification going on. Even if "X" isn't really an issue anymore, no one wants to give up a job that pays close to a quarter mil a year, so you're ALWAYS, ALWAYS going to find more of "X" to keep the gravy train running.

lindy

SOF Support
Part of the problem with these types of positions is there is a whole lot of job justification going on. Even if "X" isn't really an issue anymore, no one wants to give up a job that pays close to a quarter mil a year, so you're ALWAYS, ALWAYS going to find more of "X" to keep the gravy train running.

There are entire career fields that the requirement of the position itself creates a demand for its services.

Grunt

Verified Military
In my opinion, I’d recommend a USG job for you if you wanted to be a decision maker and actually run USG-things but there are also same management opportunities within contract companies, where the QOL is overall better but job security isn’t. I know a TON of retired O-5 35Ds in my org at the GG-15 level and a few O-6s that were transitioned to GG-15s but were quickly elevated to SES-level. I personally get frustrated when a GG-15 under 40 yrs old has to ask me how SOF SIGINT works because, in my mind, that pay grade assumes expertise beyond watching 30 Hours or Zero Dark Thirty.

The BEST takeaway from a Federal job is the FERS retirement package but your military retirement benefits offset that (IMO) and benefits are slowly being eroded for new hires.

Personally, I’d like to move over to USMS or HSI and do the F3EAD against human trafficking and help liberate trafficked kids. Basically doing same thing but against pedos vice terrorists.
You would do best by going HSI if chasing child predators is your main goal.