Prior-Marine with an 18x contract seeking guidance

zachary campbell

ohthreefiftytwo
Verified Military
Good afternoon gentleman, Finally after a year of arduous work with my recruiter, I will swear in Tuesday, after signing an 18x contract. I'm not necessarily worried about where in the pipeline I'll start (whether it be the beginning of OSUT, or at Jumpschool), because I know from having read many other threads, that any time to re-acquiant with military life is good time. I was an 0352, so I have had a lot of experience with ruck runs and such, but in the Marine Corps we know that there is very few boots to choose from. So I guess really I just want some good advice on which boots to take, along with any other advice! Thank you!

DeadZeppelin

Special Forces
Verified SOF
I prefer the Garmont NFS, they are light and have good ankle support. I also like the Nike boot. For gated rucks, I like my boots to be as light as possible, but still provide ankle support. YMMV

zachary campbell

ohthreefiftytwo
Verified Military
Thank you for the input! Yea, I was thinking since I loved ultralights so much I was gonna go with the Nike Sfb. I may purchase both though.

zachary campbell

ohthreefiftytwo
Verified Military
So I went to MEPS yesterday and got approved and signed for the 18x contract. For any and all prior service that take this route, listen up- even if you are prior Infantry (like me) you will absolutely go to OSUT. I haven't left yet (sep 17) but regardless, you will have to take the bus with all the recruits to basic. on my contract it shows that I will be at Benning for 14 weeks, 6 weeks, then 2 weeks. I will update this post after I arrive.