PSYOP and a new beret. Grey matches my hair. I'm IN!!!

BK2004

BK2004
Verified SOF
My own pride in what I've done as a Black Knight is not tied to apparel. However, we are woefully short on candidates upon which to build a profession of behavioral influence that increases in complexity on a daily basis. If a pretty hat answers the mail on that, I'm all for it. You see, what we're *supposed* to do WELL requires a very unique and uncommon personality type and level of intelligence. We need to be selective, or all the training in the world will provide/has provided the force with unpredictable quality, at best. Running a selection process doesn't do a thing, unless you have the candidates from whom to choose and actually *be* selective. Other than force us to regularly violate SOF Truths.

Candidates who sign up for SFAS, for the most part, hardly ever know what that job will require of them, either. They hope to get a pretty hat and a noteworthy tab and reputation, and often that is what draws them to ask questions like we see hopefuls here asking. So SF can be selective at selection, as they absolutely should be! It's not just anyone who can teach some illiterate guy in a dangerous backwater how to use our stuff and then motivate them to fight our fights, after all. PSYOP is even more opaque in how we're understood. Manipulating foreign behaviors on the battlefield and in competition is a pretty cool and unconventional profession, but our professionals have been so quiet for so long, that we've become the invisible professionals.

We celebrated our centennial as a capability last year, and from the 23rd HQ Special Troops (Ghost Army) to the storied MAC V SOG and others, we've played some very interesting and unorthodox roles in the evolution of SOF. Maybe it's finally ok that we have something to hang our 'hats' on? ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Ooh-Rah

Semper-Fi
@BK2004

We have vetting rules in place for a reason. Specifically so that people reading a member’s post “know” that the person who is writing, he’s not talking out of their ass.

We received your vetting request, you’ve seen that we have commented on your vetting request, but the average member does not know that.

The way you presented your post above is not cool.

BK2004

BK2004
Verified SOF
@BK2004

We have vetting rules in place for a reason. Specifically so that people reading a member’s post “know” that the person who is writing, he’s not talking out of their ass.

We received your vetting request, you’ve seen that we have commented on your vetting request, but the average member does not know that.

The way you presented your post above is not cool.
Sorry about that. Genuinely. New at this and it’s hard to know out the gate what’s cool and what’s not, even if you read the rules. I apologize. Won’t happen again. Cheers.

Ooh-Rah

Semper-Fi
Sorry about that. Genuinely. New at this and it’s hard to know out the gate what’s cool and what’s not, even if you read the rules. I apologize. Won’t happen again. Cheers.
Formal vetting can sometimes take up to a week. The staff is made up of volunteers with lives outside of the forum (most of us anyway); so we ask members under vetting consideration to be patient until we can take the time to review the docs, discuss, and then get the correct member tags assigned.

BK2004

BK2004
Verified SOF
Formal vetting can sometimes take up to a week. The staff is made up of volunteers with lives outside of the forum (most of us anyway); so we ask members under vetting consideration to be patient until we can take the time to review the docs, discuss, and then get the correct member tags assigned.
Again, wasn’t my intent to ruffle any feathers, mea culpa. Very passionate about the topic and it didn’t seem as if a lot of discussion was afoot. I’ll wait to comment on any further posts. It might help to spell the above out perhaps more plainly in the rules. It would have very much helped *me*, anyway. 😊

Appreciate the guidance.

DA SWO

SOWT
Verified SOF
The former Marines have to get a thesaurus and break big words down into single sylables. Takes time.

LimaPanther

Recon Marine
Verified SOF
BK2004--That statement reminds me, back in the 70s, when I was with Army Recruiting and had to go once a month to Ft. Ben Harrison to train officers being assigned. I was walking inside the school building with another NCO when I spotted a female in dress Greens with a green beret on her head with a flash. I got ready to go ballistics when the SGT with me said she was assigned to SF at Bragg in finance and authorized. Of course now things have changed.

Bypass

Evil Genius
So, I know I'm not verified yet, and I know this is an old thread, but if I *were* a verified 37, <<<mod edit: when you ARE a verified 37, feel free to make posts like this --mara>>>
I read your original post that was deleted or changed. I like it and also welcome to Shadowspear.

BK2004

BK2004
Verified SOF
I read your original post that was deleted or changed. I like it and also welcome to Shadowspear.
Thanks, Bypass. I might rewrite that one and post in a new thread. The regiment has a lot to be proud of, and I’d like to see more interest. Cheers.

BK2004

BK2004
Verified SOF
Thanks, Bypass. I might rewrite that one and post in a new thread. The regiment has a lot to be proud of, and I’d like to see more interest. Cheers.
Well, I guess they brought the post back. The magic an admin can do. So cool.