Ranger school before SFAS?

Zulien

U.S. Army
Verified Military
Gents, title says it all.

Physically preparing myself to tryout for my state's SFRE. My new 1SG is a former Batt boy and wants to send more guys to Ranger school.

I have done some research on opinions over this and I've found two main camps of thought.

1) Focus on getting to SFAS. SUT will teach you what you need to know

2) Don't give up a slot or think Ranger school will set you back

I do want to attend Ranger school before I hang the boots up for good. Whether that's while on a team or as a grunt.

Always seeking more wisdom, thank you.

DeadZeppelin

Special Forces
Verified SOF
SSMP
SOF Mentor
Do you have a slot to pre-Ranger/Ranger right now? When do you plan on attending SFRE? What state are you trying out in?

Zulien

U.S. Army
Verified Military
Do you have a slot to pre-Ranger/Ranger right now? When do you plan on attending SFRE? What state are you trying out in?
There is a tentative list right now of 5 available slots for the April class. Only 2 in the entire company have shown interest so far. So nothing etched in stone

My intent is to attend SFRE after Spring of 2021. Reason being is I will have completed my 4th year of my apprenticeship (5 year program). From what I have been told, soldiers are typically on the team for a year. If that is the case, I would be wrapping up my apprenticeship so I can square away my civilian career.

Rhode Island

Thank you for the reply

DeadZeppelin

Special Forces
Verified SOF
SSMP
SOF Mentor
If you have that much time before you're planning on going to an SFRE, then I'd definitely try and get Ranger school knocked out in the mean time. SUT is being changed to 1 week (eye roll), so being Ranger qual'd would give you a big leg up.

Also, if you ever make it to a team, it's hard to slice off enough time to do Ranger school depending on your team, upcoming deployments, etc.

Zulien

U.S. Army
Verified Military
Thank you for the advice!

And SUT is 1 week now? One? Seven days!?

DeadZeppelin

Special Forces
Verified SOF
SSMP
SOF Mentor
Thank you for the advice!

And SUT is 1 week now? One? Seven days!?
The course is changing this month. There is a new tactics portion that is 6 weeks, but supposedly only one week of that covers SUT. You can read about it in some other threads on this site.

Zulien

U.S. Army
Verified Military
I'll employ the search button

I absolutely want to go Ranger first then, don't want to miss out on anything. Appreciate the advice, I think that has cemented my goals

DasBoot

Ranger
Verified SOF
You want to go to school? Fuck that noise. I only went because I had to. Did I mention fuck that place?

In all seriousness jump on it while you can. Make sure they slot you for RTAC or any other pre Ranger if you can get it so you don’t show up totally in the dark.