• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

South Africa's Capital City Is About To Run Out Of Water... If Only There Was Someone Who Could Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marauder06

Intel Enabler
South Africa's legislative capital, Cape Town, is about to run out of water. Israel is a leader in water purification and de-salination. But South Africa signed on to the "boycott, divestment, and sanctions"program to support the Palestinian Authority, so they boycotted import of Israeli tech and experts.

Now they're down to 13 gallons per person per day. I hope the people think it's worth it.

Details here.

south africa flag post.jpeg

Last edited:

Ocoka

Combined Action
Verified Military
It's fashionable among progressives to side with the Palestinians at Israel's expense. Even if your balls drop off in the process.

Ooh-Rah

Marine
Okay @Serenity -

If you are going to drop a couple of “thumbs down”, forum etiquette says you should at least give a reason for your “dislikes”.

Marauder06

Intel Enabler
Okay @Serenity -

If you are going to drop a couple of “thumbs down”, forum etiquette says you should at least give a reason for your “dislikes”.
Serenity it's OK to disagree with other members of the site. Personally, I welcome it. And since I'm trying to catch up to The Troll in the "negative ratings" (formerly known as "hate") ratings, I welcome downvotes on my posts as well. But I think it's more useful to everyone if the "dissenter" comes up on the net to share his or her thoughts. We all benefit from that discussion.

While I agree with you guys on this, I can see why Serenity would downvote. Unlike food where we can go extremely long times on minimal amounts of food, water is quite literally our lifeblood. 3-4 days up to a week with no intake of it is the usual estimate right? But that's in ideal conditions in the best case scenario.

The weeping heart in me is frustrated and angry that we let politics get in the way of our own and other peoples well being. However, that 3lb mass in between my ears is echoing what has already been said: "play stupid games, win stupid prizes" and "you pay your money and you take your chances".

Personally, I think they're reaping what they sow right now and hopefully, the citizens can voice their opinions loudly enough to change their policy on Israel. It's anecdotal but one of my dad's friends who immigrated here from South Africa back in the early 90's is voicing the same thoughts here, while he loves South Africa he's frustrated because they're largely bringing all of their problems onto themselves. Whether it be crime, corruption, cronyism or in this instance running out of water.

I believe @Serenity downvoted because this is on the verge of turning into a humanitarian crisis and they're being punished for their beliefs in a way. Where is the justice in that? But this also reverts back to the original thought that South Africa has largely done this to themselves. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Ocoka

Combined Action
Verified Military
We're going to be bloody well killing each other over potable water someday...like when the population reaches 10-billion (2050) or 15-billion (2075). We'll see how it goes in SA.

Agoge

Verified Military
There is plenty of water and the technology to get it if people would get their priorities straight in this world and quit eating Tide Pods and worrying about offending someone every time they take a breath the wrong way.

AWP

Formerly Known as Freefalling
Administrator
If y'all are going to quote, allow me a third on the subject:

Second and third order effects....

It is great to make a decision, but stupid to ignore what comes next. Don't want to use Israeli tech? Cool. Did you reach out to other potential providers? ( How do the UAE and Saudi's function for example.) Make emotional decisions, expect failure.

(This is hilarious given the strong possibility SA collaborated with the Israelis on a nuclear weapon back in the day)

digrar

custom user title
Verified Military
In the desert or Victoria, depending on the date
South Africa's capital, Cape Town,
South Africa doesn't have a Capital, Cape Town is the home of their Parliament, but the President and Cabinet run out of Pretoria, the Judicial arm of the country run out of Bloemfontein and their Constitutional Court is in Johannesburg. Probably as a result of how fractured the nation was when it started.

With the weather systems that go through there, I'm surprised they're in a 3 year drought. On averages, they should get 150mm of rain before day zero, unsure what that would do for their dam levels, but fingers crossed they get it.

CQB

Australian SOF
Verified SOF
Putting the Israel debate to one side, they did prepare, with desal plants etc. though the event they were planning for bit them sooner than they thought. The assessment is for May when shit will be Trumps.
Over here the state of Victoria had them installed amid controversy, but that seems a prudent move now.

Serenity

Unverified
@Marauder06 @Ooh-Rah @SaintKP

I found the original posts smug and lacking of empathy. Whether it was intended or not, it momentarily pissed me off. We’re talking about a city facing water shortages, and the oppression of the Palestinian people.

It’s unfortunate that Cape Town are in their current position, but it sounds to be more to do with poor planning, mismanagement and the lack of rain, and less about needing the Israelis to swoop in to save the day. I was skeptical that only the Israelis experts and companies can help. I googled and it appears there are other countries like France and Germany have offered to help. And because we’ve experience our own severe droughts in Melbourne, I did a quick check on who was involved in building our desalination plant. It was a consortium made up of French and Australian corporations. The other shortlisted group that missed out did have affiliations with the Israeli Government. From there I read this group have lost billions in business because of their ties with Israel. So there are other options, especially if you find a supplier disagreeable.

I don’t think the BDS is a worthless cause or a stupid game. But thank you for bringing this to movement to my attention.

I’m quite flaked out due to my current work load. I didn’t want to reply originally, not out of disrespect, but more to do with not wanting to engage in lengthy online discussions atm. Anyway, my eyes are burning, so I’m not reading whatever else was written further down tonight. I like to support this site and interact, but at the moment, my commitment level is clicking a button.

Ooh-Rah

Marine
I found the original posts smug and lacking of empathy. Whether it was intended or not, it momentarily pissed me off. We’re talking about a city facing water shortages, and the oppression of the Palestinian people.
Yesterday I would have wagered every penny I have that your response would be what it was. You have a good heart.

For what it’s worth, most of us on this board have good hearts. We are also jaded and skeptical.

Thanks for replying.

Marauder06

Intel Enabler
@Marauder06 @Ooh-Rah @SaintKP

It’s unfortunate that Cape Town are in their current position, but it sounds to be more to do with poor planning, mismanagement and the lack of rain, and less about needing the Israelis to swoop in to save the day. I was skeptical that only the Israelis experts and companies can help. I googled and it appears there are other countries like France and Germany have offered to help. And because we’ve experience our own severe droughts in Melbourne, I did a quick check on who was involved in building our desalination plant. It was a consortium made up of French and Australian corporations. The other shortlisted group that missed out did have affiliations with the Israeli Government. From there I read this group have lost billions in business because of their ties with Israel. So there are other options, especially if you find a supplier disagreeable.

I don’t think the BDS is a worthless cause or a stupid game. But thank you for bringing this to movement to my attention.

I’m quite flaked out due to my current work load. I didn’t want to reply originally, not out of disrespect, but more to do with not wanting to engage in lengthy online discussions atm. Anyway, my eyes are burning, so I’m not reading whatever else was written further down tonight. I like to support this site and interact, but at the moment, my commitment level is clicking a button.

That's a thoughtful and well-written contrary opinion. I hope to see more of that from you as appropriate.

As noted above, it's generally expected that downvotes, especially multiple ones, be accompanied by an explanation or rebuttal. While anyone should feel free to downvote at will, they should also feel free "not" to downvote, or to hold off until they have a chance to offer a supporting opinion. Otherwise, it can come across as passive-aggressive or antagonistic to just toss out a bunch of negative ratings and not follow it up with something substantive.

With that said:

South Africa doesn't have a Capital...
I did not know that. I did some additional digging after reading your post and you are correct; Cape Town is their "legislative capital," not the "national capital." I will edit my post accordingly.

Now, for the rest.

I'm not without empathy for South Africans facing a water shortage. But I am totally unsympathetic. This appears to be a problem totally of their own making. Whether it is corruption, cronyism, poor planning, or a prioritization of international politics over domestic policy, South Africa has brought this upon themselves. No sympathy for that. Israel is a world leader in water purification (we use Israeli desalination tech in the US) and South Africa could have been the beneficiary as well, if they weren't focused on borrowing other peoples' problems and making them their own. It seems apparent that South Africa's support of BDS is political grandstanding at the expense of their constituents' basic needs.

As a movement, BDS is not stupid. It's just cynical, and counter-productive. It's a great way to put pressure on Israel in support of a larger move to accomplish via "lawfare" and economics what hasn't been accomplished by politics or force of arms: the complete destruction of Israel. BDS creates oodles of unintended consequences and is largely supported by people who either hate Israel or don't understand that the #1 oppressor of the Palestinians is... the Palestinians.

Serenity

Unverified
the #1 oppressor of the Palestinians is... the Palestinians.
In my opinion this is a blinkered statement; a one sided view that ignores any wrongdoing by the Israelis. How the Israel government is treating the Palestinians is unethical and illegal. I assume you know this and I’m just stating the obvious. Or maybe you deny this, in which case, there’s no arguing with you. I respect that you would have your reasons and that you come from a place of great experience, but I’ll continue to disagree nonetheless.

If the Israelis were offering to build a desalination plant for free, and to a schedule that would make a difference, then I could see an argument for the lack of pragmatism. But really, the South African leadership involved just sound hopelessly unprepared, so it matters not who offers to sell them the technology they need. They probably would have ended in the same place. There’s nothing to be gained in adding hypocrisy to weaken their BDS position. I feel the argument of Israeli tech is a pro-Israeli narrative that is unhelpful and the wrong focal point.

As for grandstanding, I do think it is grand that they are standing up for the Palestinians. I admire their unwavering support. And as a mediator who could have made more of a difference, the US have proven to be ineffective. So I hope more support the movement or show their support in other ways. I seriously doubt Israel will come to an end because they’re forced to negotiate reasonable and humane terms.

Ignoring the Palestinian-Israeli problems, the Cape Town water crisis should be focused on learning the lessons on what happens when water security is not prioritised.

Anyway, thank you for taking the time to respond.

Status
Not open for further replies.