Started the Physical Training Guide (PTG) seal training

ptg

Unverified
Hey everyone,

Since I cant share my blog I thought I would keep everyone updated here instead.

This is better described in my introduction but I thought I would give you a quick overview to let you know what im currently doing. To be brief ive started the PTG (Physical Training Guide) its based off a rowing program, adapted for the BUD/s pipeline. Its written by Mike Caviston, the director at NSW and is the official training program for "preparing candidates for the rigours of the BUD/s pipeline".

The ptg can be found at sealswcc.com. It involves short runs (sprints) short swims eg.50yds mid range running and swimming and finally long distance running and swimming with callisthenics/weight training sessions.

How things are fairing so far; I started the program on Monday 26/10. I've been preparing to start for the past 2 - 3 months rather horribly. My run times are good (for me) I'm running sub 7min miles. I've really dialled down on the running. After all running is the number one statistic for getting thorough BUD/s.

In all seriousness everything else is not so good. I tried to do the David Goggins workout and threw in the towel after 30 minutes. I used to destroy this workout mid way through the year and would only have a little trouble during the star jump to push ups. Also my swimming has dropped off considerably due to COVID-19, no pools are open which only leaves the bay.

My body is already very sore from the first two days and I've started doing dynamic warm ups, warm up laps workout then cool downs to make sure my body is ready for what I'm about to put it through.

The hardest thing for me has been waking up at 5:30am to get the first WOD in. I also dread the idea of jumping in to the bay tonight with the water 57 Fahrenheit water. Not sure if that's cold but I will be wearing a wet suit regardless.

Eating wise im doing only okay coz I need a shit tonne of calories and I've always been a hard gainer. If Anyone who can give me some tips on nutrition that would be awesome

Attachments

• Week 1 Schedule ...docx
    14.1 KB · Views: 11

ptg

Unverified
Had another PT session yesterday and did better overall. I used to be able to do this workout with a 15kg backpack on (for the push ups) but currently only doing body weight due to backing away from longish PT sessions for quite some time. Mod Edit.

Here is the work out:

Repeat 10 times
Push ups 10
Crunches 10
Push up (Wide Grip) 10
Reverse crunches 10
Tricep push up 5-10
Sit ups 10

Also like to add that I overslept today. I dont know what to do about the sleeping, I go to bed early but still sleep 10 hours ffs

Last edited by a moderator:

Arf

SWCC
Verified SOF
SSMP
SOF Mentor
This is awesome that you are doing this, but I think I may not be the only one wondering why you are training for this. Are you trying to be a SEAL? If so I can give a lot of tailored advice. If you are doing it for personal gratification then I’m not sure what kind of specific advice you are hoping for.

ptg

Unverified
I have a strong desire to serve and im considering moving to Perth to join the SAS or follow in the footsteps of the late Cameron Baird R.I.P and join the commando regiment. I just find that information regarding SEAL/s is more readily available and haven't found anything nearly as extensive when it comes to Australian SF. I did see the docos on youtube but that's the actual selection and not the prep

CQB

Australian SOF
Verified SOF
The SEALs program is really good, as I did it for some time as a middle aged tragic. If I can do it, you have a good chance of doing well. ( but be fucked if I can do it now). For me the key was to not mess with it by getting creative & adding things, just follow along & do it as prescribed. It's interesting as I originally thought you weren't from Oz. There was an Australian version sometime ago but it was like a full time job, great if you're on benefits but a pain if you're working. I wish you success mate.

ptg

Unverified
@CQB yes it is easy to assume that because Im always going on about SEAL training ahah... You've been out for a while then I take it? Yes it's quite the program and it's easy to fall into that trap when your feeling good. A few extra sets here and there, it all adds up

CQB

Australian SOF
Verified SOF
@CQB yes it is easy to assume that because Im always going on about SEAL training ahah... You've been out for a while then I take it? Yes it's quite the program and it's easy to fall into that trap when your feeling good. A few extra sets here and there, it all adds up
I’ll PM you in a bit, Saturday chores n’all that.

digrar

custom user title
Verified Military
In the desert or Victoria, depending on the date
I have a strong desire to serve and im considering moving to Perth to join the SAS

That's not exactly how it works.

97% of dudes follow this progression to SASR, which involves 5-10 years of living 4000km East of Perth first.
Enlist. Kapooka, School of Infantry, off to a Battalion of the Royal Australian Regiment. Couple of years in a Rifle Company, couple of years in a Support Company trade (Recon, Snipers, Mortars, DFSW, Pioneers, Signals), subject courses for Corporal, one or two promotions, a deployment or two, attempt selection as a 24-27 year old.
The odd gun like Mark Donaldson or Keith Fennell attempt selection as a 19-20 year old with barely a year up in a Battalion. They're far and away the exception to the rule.

2 Commando isn't much different. SFDRS entry off the street is a possibility there, but their success rate there is marginal, with most blokes heading off to an RAR Battalion after School of Infantry IET course, the prep course, the entry test, or after coming off selection. They generally have good success when those blokes come back after a couple of more years in a Battalion getting their shit squared away.
Cameron Baird was posted directly to 4RAR from SOI, but it had reverted back to a Light Infantry Battalion for a 2001 deployment to Timor, so he had 2 years of light Infantry soldiering and a deployment prior to gearing up for selection and reo within the unit.

ptg

Unverified
Week One Update.

I'll start with the positives;

Started waking up earlier than the past three months < double edged sword right now.
Taking Vitamins
Making and freezing smoothies for extra calories
Eating fish (salmon), steak, chicken, vegetables, wholemeal pasta and brown rice.
Stretching, Warm Ups, Cool downs and Post Run stretching.

Next up are the things that are not going so well;

Not waking up early enough (Back to site, means earlier starts)
Run times have dropped off - not even passing the minimum standards for the PST.
Pull ups - not doing the pull ups.
PT sessions are a shit show .

Improvement Needed:
Swimming
Running
PT
Lifting

That's Everything ^

A few things I want to clear up;

Cycling is not a official activity of the PTG. It is however listed under cross-training, when your local facility is closed. This is definitely one of those times. I live too far from the bay to drive there and back for 4 x 50m swims which equate to a total of 10 minutes exercise (not including warm up and active recovery). I have opted for short sprints on the bicycle until the indoor pools open up.

If I can't make it to a swimming session due to the significant distance I'm currently required to travel to the water, I am tacking the missed swim on to the Long Slow Distance session. I will not develop bad habits and add other events on top of one another. Swimming is the only exception due to living in somewhat of a landlocked area. I also find it extremely difficult to estimate distances in the open water and the accuracy of my GPS watch is questionable. I make sure I'm swimming more than required when I am estimating distances.

I don't have access to a pull up bar (gyms are closed). I have no excuse here, all I can think about are the 7 P's. I should have ordered a pull up bar door frame long before I started the program.

Finally, I don't have access to a running track facility for sprints. I am using the local oval. I don't know the exact circumference but believe it to be around 500m.

How much swimming do the Australian SF do? I know that there is some swimming involved but I'm starting to think the PTG is too heavily focused on swimming. Personally I really enjoy swimming (even though I suck) and it's part of the reason I like the PTG so much.

The first event for SASR selection is a 20km (12.42mile) pack march with 20kg (44lbs) + 8kg (17lbs) in the webbing. The march must be completed in 3hr and 15min. The requirement is a 9min 45sec per km pace or 15m 42sec per mile. The training is in Perth so I can almost guarantee the hot sun is bearing down on you.

Attachments

• Week 1 Schedule - Results.docx
    18.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Week 2 Schedule.docx
    15.6 KB · Views: 7

digrar

custom user title
Verified Military
Finally, I don't have access to a running track facility for sprints. I am using the local oval. I don't know the exact circumference but believe it to be around 500m.

How much swimming do the Australian SF do? I know that there is some swimming involved but I'm starting to think the PTG is too heavily focused on swimming. Personally I really enjoy swimming (even though I suck) and it's part of the reason I like the PTG so much.

The first event for SASR selection is a 20km (12.42mile) pack march with 20kg (44lbs) + 8kg (17lbs) in the webbing. The march must be completed in 3hr and 15min. The requirement is a 9min 45sec per km pace or 15m 42sec per mile. The training is in Perth so I can almost guarantee the hot sun is bearing down on you.

There are aps, web sites, etc that will measure a track and give you a distance.

2 Cdo do a lot of open water swimming. SASR do too, if you're in water troop.

Two selections a year, one will be hot, one will be freezing. Take your chances. There's a pic getting around the net of my platoon sergeant after he finished the 20 clicker in the late 90s during a mid 40's day in WA. Two 18 hour+ days of getting flogged, then a massive warm up session prior to setting off on the test. Jase was still trying to sort out his blood chemistry 3 or 4 months after he was withdrawn from the course after the 20 clicker.

ptg

Unverified
Week Two of the PTG secure.

I've had more access to the water due to the holiday on Tuesday. I've been swimming mostly in the open water as the weather has been amazing over the past week. The external factors such as waves and currents make the open water swimming exciting and unpredictable. To put my comments in to perspective, I swam the same distance on Monday and Tuesday and the result was a 10 minute difference!!

I managed to book a spot at the outdoor pools today (25m) and swam 1600m in 37m 32sec. I am considering joining a swimming group or employing a coach because my swim times leave a lot to be desired.

The body weight workouts are still a shit show and I can't wait for the gyms to open back up from tomorrow... I did majority of the David Goggins Guided Workout on Tuesday and once again it got the better over me. I also attempted to complete the following workout on Thursday;

Push ups 50 (Actual result 31)
Crunches 50 or 1 minute Plank Pose (Actual result 25 x 2)

Reverse Push ups 20
Birds 20
Arm Haulers 20

Once again waking up early is a major problem for me. I woke up late on Thursday and Friday.... I am supposed to have a rest on day on Friday (minus two PSP sessions) gearing up for the LSD (Long Slow Distance) sessions, this is not happening right now. I am also unable to grasp the meaning of Long Slow Distance as these sessions are always completed with maximum output.

I dread the Run Short Interval the most out of all the sessions. I seem to fair much better in the longer sessions. Just the thought of sprinting around the oval makes me nauseas!! That reminds me; I still need to measure the damn thing because I'm sure I'm running more than 400m laps.

Is anyone familiar with the Operator Edge (Rhys Dowden) Adverts on Facebook? From what I can see he is the real deal and I'm thinking about signing up. $500 is not exactly pocket change, so I thought I would ask here first.

Attachments

• Week 2 Schedule Results.docx
    16.3 KB · Views: 3
  • Week 3 Schedule.docx
    16 KB · Views: 3

SpitfireV

Strike first, strike hard, no mercy!
I'm not sure FB ads should be things to be trusted mate and there are a lot of good free resources out there you shouldn't need to pay or at least pay that much.

ptg

Unverified
@SpitfireV im probably just looking for a way to side step the ptg. I bet the paid program is just as hard or harder.

@Arf lie on your stomach, arms out to the side and you flap your arms kinda like a bird lol... Roger that.

SpitfireV

Strike first, strike hard, no mercy!
If that's the case then I can guarantee there will be harder stuff out there. Don't go paying stupid amounts of money for things like that mate.

digrar

custom user title
Verified Military
Wouldn't be handing Rhys any of my hard earned. All Rhys's are dodgy for a start.

This is awesome that you are doing this, but I think I may not be the only one wondering why you are training for this.

Getting back to this. What are you training for? Because 6 months of Kapooka and IETs is going to render most of it fairly redundant. But it appears you don't have an enlistment date, you're not actually working towards anything.

Find your weak points and work on them, running for starters, 7 minute miles is a 10:30 2.4km, or the last person in during a Rifle Company BFA. You don't need to pay Dowden upwards of half a grand to do that.