Started the Physical Training Guide (PTG) seal training

ptg

Unverified
I did some a simulation Log Pt yesterday. Good session and I found that my lower body is the weakness for sure. Squats being my number one weakness by a long shot. Here's the session compliments of Mr Smith;

1 mile run with sandbag (20kg) (44lbs)

Push Press - 100 (10s x 10r)

Walking Lunges - 100 per leg (DNC)

Squats 150 (couldn't do 50 proper air squats. "Where you get your ass in that pocket" - David Goggins)

Sit ups 150 with 20kg sand bag on chest (5s x 30r)

1 mile run with sandbag 20kg 44lbs (DNC)

@digrar im finishing my studies then im going to enlist, so I have something to fall back on just in case.

Arf

SWCC
Verified SOF
SSMP
SOF Mentor
Make sure you are carrying the sandbag on your chest with your arms underneath it. We rarely had the luxury of carrying anything besides a body or a ruck sack on our shoulders.

Zercher squats and Lunges are the best.

SpitfireV

Strike first, strike hard, no mercy!
I wonder if doing the situps with a 20kg weighted vest rather than a moving around sandbag might be more conducive to not getting injured?

ptg

Unverified
I wonder if doing the situps with a 20kg weighted vest rather than a moving around sandbag might be more conducive to not getting injured?
Yes that would be a much better option. The sand bag is hardly perfect, you need to hold the darn thing up the whole time.

In saying that, it did the job overall. I was looking at buying a weighted vest not too long ago although companies were taking advantage of the gyms being closed and price jacking, so I figured it would be best to wait.

@Arf how'd you know I was carrying it on my shoulder haha.. zercher squat? I'll have to fire up google for that one

Arf

SWCC
Verified SOF
SSMP
SOF Mentor

I can only give advice to the SEAL pipeline, and not anything Australian. A Sandbag is the best thing to mimic logs or braided hawser line workouts, which are some of the most brutal workouts I have ever experienced.

@Arf how'd you know I was carrying it on my shoulder haha.. zercher squat? I'll have to fire up google for that one

I just know that carrying a sandbag on your shoulders is soooo much easier than carrying it on your biceps, forearms and chest. When I was in the pipeline they had us “chest carry” logs, braided hawser lines and sandbags for ungodly amounts of time while switching between lunges, squats, presses, sit-ups, and snatches. It never once gets to touch your shoulders. You “chest carry” it at all times.

ptg

Unverified
Here we are a week later....

Week 3 of the PTG.
What have I learnt this week?

Above all else, I learnt that you don't need a fully equipped gym to get a proper session in. This way of thinking is something that haunts me and I see it in other people too. I define it as "creating barriers in our mind". Here are a few examples; I'm at the bay wearing a surfing spring-suit. Random guy asks me what it's like wearing a surfing wetsuit for swimming? I wanted to blurt out "it makes no f*cking difference" but cooled my jets and gave a politically correct b/s answer, like a civilised human being. It's like this guy wouldn't even consider wearing his surfing wetsuit for a swim because it wasn't specifically designed for swimming?? This barrier is only in his mind.

Here's another one; I told my friend I make smoothies for the week and freeze them. The response: Oh you need 7 bottles for that and they are so expensive??? Really??? WTF🤷‍♂️. A 1ltr water bottle with a lid is $4.00 x 7 = $28.00. Wow, really breaking the bank 🙄. This is a barrier she has created in her mind with the help of marketing companies and consumerism.

I am not immune from this line of thinking either. Although the gyms are finally open, I can't seem to book a session for the life of me. My original mindset was you can only "maintain" muscle without a fully equipped gym.....another barrier that's only in my mind. With very few pieces of equipment (sandbag and kettlebells ) I got a hell of a workout in, I would argue that its a better workout than the gym.

This is due to the limited equipment forcing me to complete more reps which provides aerobic benefits as well as anaerobic. Instead of stressing about booking sessions that are sold out in less than one minute, I have asked that my membership is put on hold until things return to normal.

How are things going with the PTG?

I'm very happy about the pools opening up again although the 45 minute limit will soon become a problem. I am really pushing it trying to complete a 1800m swim in the 45min time slot. I managed it just, but from week 5 the LSD distance increases to 2000m which I don't think is possible in the allocated time. This means I'm back in the bay, at least the weather is nice.

My LSD run yesterday was very slow in comparison to the week before. I have no idea why?? It was a little warm but I can't understand why I was running 30sec slower per mile. I noticed that I run better in the mornings in a fasted state with only coffee and water in my system. I was supposed to emulate these conditions yesterday but didn't get out of bed!!! This leads me to my re-occurring problem of not waking up early!!

Three weeks in a row and I can't seem to shake the waking up late problem. Although this has improved slightly as I have only awaken late on Saturday and Sunday the issue continues to plague me. I am really setting myself up for failure with this issue because It will only get harder once I am back at work.

I attempted to use a "running group" to solve the issue of waking up early. I was hoping that making myself accountable to the group would force me to get out of bed early on the weekend. I am unable to drum up enough interest at this time, so I will need to consider another solution.

Weakness
Squats
Pull ups

I have a wicked cold right now, my nose is like a tap.

Some last minute advice for swimming long distances in the pool.

Okay the rants over, here is some actual advice for anyone swimming long distances in the pool. This advice is more suited to 25m pools but works for the 50m too. When you start thinking about the babe in the lane next to you and all of a sudden you've forgotten how many meters/yards you've swum - always revert back to the lower number.

Maybe you'll end up swimming an extra 50 but it's a hell of a lot better than falling short by 50 and having the life guard tell you to get out of the pool because your times up. This sounds like common sense but during the swim its tempting to go with the higher number and risk falling short.

One last thing question
Am I cheating if I use short-fins during the swims? I'm not using them at the moment and won't need them for a while but when should I start training with them. I hear people talking about weak ankles- if you don't train with them? Thanks

ptg

Unverified
My attachments disappeared. Viola

Attachments

• Week 3 Schedule Results.docx
    18 KB · Views: 1
  • Week 4 Schedule.docx
    16 KB · Views: 3

ptg

Unverified
This has been one hell of a week...

Week 4 started off okay, nothing out of the ordinary. Got the "easier" runs out of the way early and was moving on to the longer swims/PT when the wheels started to come off. I managed to patch things up rather quickly but I'd like to document a few ongoing/possible issues.

It was Thursday, I got up early and hit the pools, everything was going great. Finish work and started cleaning up thinking I had plenty of time before I have to hit the pools again. WRONG!!! Drive to the pools only to find, I've missed my allocated booking and the place is about to close... This was not only super embarrassing but I should know better because I do this all the time!! The good news is, I didn't let my mistake ruin my day and I decided to PT instead.

I haven't managed to meet the standard this week, my run LSD time was terrible. It was humid and I misjudged the distance and ran an extra km, but the time was so bad I don't want to post it here. As I was running my hamstrings were super tight and I was in a world of pain. I also have an acute pain in my shoulder which I pray to god doesn't get any worse. It seems to be holding up right now but I am really concerned about the right shoulder. When I hit the gym this week, I will do some exercises to strength the rotator cuff because I can't afford to get injured. With the gym removing the booking system, I can finally get back on the pull up bar.

I've made so many rookie mistakes this week, forgetting my towel at home. Jumping in to the pool with my shorts on twice!! Late to class and missed a booked session at the pools. Everything has been due to my carelessness and it's been hard to handle.

I just need to roll with the punches, put this week behind me and move on. Things will improve as long as I stay positive.

Attachments

• Week 4 Results.docx
    17.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Week 5 Schedule.docx
    16.4 KB · Views: 1

SpitfireV

Are you stretching down? I get tight hammies after hockey sometimes and it's usually when I'm in a rush to get the gear off and go home and don't stretch.

ptg

Unverified
Are you stretching down? I get tight hammies after hockey sometimes and it's usually when I'm in a rush to get the gear off and go home and don't stretch.
Thanks for the comment.. I don't think I've stretched all week. The only time I can remember stretching was before the run that wrecked my hammies & not after it.

You are not in selection. Don’t push through pain. Train smart. Pushing through pain is going to make it worse. Buy a door mounted pull up bar
Train smart not hard, makes me feel better about not getting out of bed this morning lol

SpitfireV

I always hated stretching, but it has become far more important to me now that I'm getting old.

I'm still in my 30s but I've noticed the same thing. I enjoy a good stretch now too and yoga is more beneficial than it used to be. One of the goalies at hockey is getting pissed off at me for always telling him to warm down even though he's young ahaha.

SaintKP

I'm still in my 30s but I've noticed the same thing. I enjoy a good stretch now too and yoga is more beneficial than it used to be. One of the goalies at hockey is getting pissed off at me for always telling him to warm down even though he's young ahaha.

I'm currently 25 but I always scoffed at the idea of yoga until I pretty severely threw out my back, couldn't really move and even breathing was somewhat difficult. After a day of being catatonic I did about an hour of yoga focusing on the area that hurt but also the other muscles that influence those.

In short the next day I felt good as new, as if I had never thrown out my back the day before and I've never looked back sense then. Still kick myself that I didn't start practicing yoga when I wrestled.

ptg

Unverified
The PTG has me in tatters this week. My body is holding up but my head is all over the place. I got up early once this week. ONE TIME. I also went back to a bad habit of mine, which is the easiest way to screw up the PTG. Its called napping in the afternoon. It seems harmless but it means training happens later, which means I get home later, getting home later equals going to bed later and last but not least, I don't get up when I'm supposed to.

Its a vicious cycle and its so easy for me to succumb too. Its how I screwed up the PTG up last time and I won't let it beat me again. I still don't know how I'm going to fight back but I might need to resort to caffeine/sugar. The problem is I fear caffeine and or sugar because I also have trouble sleeping at night, so its not the obvious solution. I need something natural. I used to make a lemon, honey and salt electrolyte drink a couple months ago which was a good option but its a pain in the ass to make while all you can think about is how comfy bed would be. As you have probably guessed, I have a major malfunction ("what is your major malfunction numbnut") when it comes to discipline.

You might be thinking what's all the whining about? Just do what the f#<k your supposed too. I wish it was that simple. I don't want to make this thread about my short-comings and inadequacies but the PTG is good at making you question your ability. Particularly when things are not going well. My overall times have slipped, I'm getting up later and only just getting through the workouts.

See here's the thing, I should have no trouble completing the LSD1 run and swim on the same day. I get up early on Saturday and bust them out. This was my initial plan during the failed attempt, the good thing about this option is it allows you a full recovery day (Sunday) where I can set aside some time for a full body stretch/roll. The only reason I split up the LSD1 run and swims is because later in the program they become so long and tedious they crushed me mentally. I still think the Saturday session is better option for the first 13 weeks and I sort of regret setting it up this way from the beginning.

Attachments

• Week 5 Schedule Results.docx
    17.4 KB · Views: 4
  • Week 6 Schedule.docx
    16.5 KB · Views: 1

CQB

Australian SOF
Verified SOF
Get an app to measure out 400m, they suck so much you don't want to do more than you have to. Run one, walk back to the start which will give you recovery time & repeat. Alternatively for sprints, find your local footy ground, Union or League (not aerial ping pong as they're the wrong shape for this). Run corner to corner diagonally & then walk the sideline from the touchline to the opposite touchline, repeat.