The Afghanistan and Pakistan Thread

Ooh-Rah

Marine
So remember these five guys? You know, the five guys we traded to get bowe Bergdahl back, and Obama promised would never have any involvement in terrorist activities again?

Theeeeeey’re back!

Once Jailed in Guantánamo, 5 Taliban Now Face U.S. at Peace Talks

The five senior Taliban officials were held at Guantánamo for 13 years before catching a lucky break in 2014. They were exchanged for Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl, the only known American service member to be held by the insurgents as a prisoner of war.

ThunderHorse

Verified Military
So remember these five guys? You know, the five guys we traded to get bowe Bergdahl back, and Obama promised would never have any involvement in terrorist activities again?

Theeeeeey’re back!

The five senior Taliban officials were held at Guantánamo for 13 years before catching a lucky break in 2014. They were exchanged for Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl, the only known American service member to be held by the insurgents as a prisoner of war.

Blizzard

Theeeeeey’re back!

Grrrrrr...was going to dish out some hate for this but thought it would be a bit misdirected.

Reactions: AWP

Gunz

Combined Action
Verified Military
Prayers out for the wounded. Condolences to the families of the dead. Enough. Bring them all home. Fuck that place. Let it go the hell.

Gunz

Combined Action
Verified Military
The number of sorties generated by two fighter squadrons in country is staggering. Their maintainers are rock stars.
I know the 510th EFS is at Bagram. Kudos then to the ground crews.

Last edited:

Gunz

Combined Action
Verified Military
I mean, how many more? If the Afghans aren't ready by now to conduct operations on their own, they'll never be. We've given them 18 fucking years, more than 2,000 lives and 20,000 wounded.

I'm the last person who'd ever suggest bugging out on counterparts and leaving them at the mercy of the enemy...but it's gotta end sometime.

I know a Soldier or Marine wants to be where the action is and I suspect the SF/SOF and support units in Afghanistan wouldn't want to be anywhere but at the sharp edge...but goddam, it wrenches my heart every time I hear about another American sacrifice.

We left ARVN and the Montagnards holding the bag, but we gave them 58,000 lives. Even so, I said back then, we should've stayed the course a few more years. But 18 years? I think maybe we should draw the line at an even 20 and GTFO.