The "All Things Politics" Thread (please review page 1)

Devildoc

Verified Military
From a policy perspective, is this the worst week for the Trump Administration?

The bump stock EO, the weakness on the upcoming CR, the DOW tanking, and now the HUGE Syrian withdrawal mistake? Just yikes.

I loved the already mentioned bipartisan criminal reform action, but wow does President Trump look out of his depth right now.

To quote the president- "Not. Good."

I had been thinking the same thing. Everyone knows what I think of the Mueller witch hunt investigation, but I am wondering if the mid-terms, Flynn, Comey's diarrhea of the mouth, the investigation, CoS retiring/resigning, et al., is staring to take it's toll....

PDL

Former RN Submarines
Verified Military

amlove21

Pararescue
Administrator
SSMP
SOF Mentor
I had been thinking the same thing. Everyone knows what I think of the Mueller witch hunt investigation, but I am wondering if the mid-terms, Flynn, Comey's diarrhea of the mouth, the investigation, CoS retiring/resigning, et al., is staring to take it's toll....
I don't know man, I am solidly over the Mueller investigation as a whole- even if you just delete that completely and look at the other stuff in a vacuum? Still really bad.

Why is the Syrian withdrawal a mistake?
To be fair, I don't think it's a mistake; I think it's a HUGE mistake.

The demise of ISIS in the area has been greatly exaggerated, with some sources reporting strength in the tens of thousands. Iraq today is a direct result of Obama's pull out in 2010, it's a death sentence for the Kurds and the now-dictatorship that is Turkey and Erdogan benefits directly (and some say had a role in convincing the president to pull out citing arms deals), we are basically letting Russia and Saudi Arabia and Iran off the leash to pursue their own interests in the region without a true military peer to check those interests... Lots and lots of reasons. Any time Putin applauds a military move made by our president, one should take pause.

That doesn't even address how we made this decision or how it was communicated. Policy by Tweet should not be a thing. What did the president say about telegraphing his moves... oh yeah. He said he wouldn't do that and Obama was an idiot for doing it. This may seem familiar; the president also did this in April by lobbing a couple cruise missiles and not hitting any tactically valuable targets.

BL here- for geopolitical reasons, for national politics reasons, for policy and precedence reasons- this move is a massive, massive mistake IMO. Hopefully, like a lot of these half baked ideas, this gets walked back. Already pretty obvious a lot of the GOP are not happy, even long time supporters of the president, like Lindsay Graham.

I would ask if there is a good thing about the Syrian withdrawal; as a guy that lost a couple friends there this year, yes, I understand that having no one there means no American deaths. What I am asking is, in the context of the geopolitical environment and the reality of now, what good does a sped up withdrawal of Syria do us as a country?

Ooh-Rah

Marine
I'm not always the sharpest tack in the drawer so let me think about this for a minute...

- General Mattis thinks it a bad idea.
- National Security Advisor John Bolton thinks it a bad idea.
- House minority leader Steny Hoyer told CNN Thursday the decision was "impulsive, irresponsible and dangerous."

...but Russian President Vladimir Putin on Thursday called it a 'good' decision

Poccington

Where the fuck is Zordon?
Verified Military
I think this might be a pretty strong indicator of what Mattis thought of the handling of the Syria withdrawal...

Screenshot_20181220-222610__01.jpg

Poccington

Verified Military
IMG_20181220_223907.jpg

IMG_20181220_223908.jpg

"Because you have the right to have a Secretary of Defense whose views are better alligned with yours on these and other subjects, I believe it is right for me to step down from my position."

Wow. Mattis with the mic drop.

amlove21

Pararescue
Administrator
SSMP
SOF Mentor
I am not one that believes in coincidence... but it's all too easy to believe Mattis left because of this whole thing. Which makes the natural skeptic in me immediately resist that. Who knows the real story, the General doesn't seem like a book writer.

The really bad week continues I guess.

Poccington

Verified Military
I am not one that believes in coincidence... but it's all too easy to believe Mattis left because of this whole thing. Which makes the natural skeptic in me immediately resist that. Who knows the real story, the General doesn't seem like a book writer.

The really bad week continues I guess.

Well his resignation letter is basically a rebuke of Trump's entire world view so maybe the Syria stunt was just the final straw?

Poccington

Verified Military
Maybe Mattis, Kelly, Tillerson and McMaster all have a WhatsApp group and the 3 of them kept saying to him "Jim... DO IT!" and he finally did.

Ooh-Rah

Marine
Sadly it was only a matter of time. In my cartoon fantasy bubble, I always depicted General Mattis as the one adult in the room.

ThunderHorse

Verified Military
I wonder if Mattis is more like Robert Gates was for Obama, a transitional SecDef to make sure things start off on a good foot...just don't give me another Panetta or Carter.

Poccington

Verified Military
It's gonna be lit when he announces Mick Mulvaney as Acting SECDEF to go along with the thousand other jobs he's currently doing.