The "All Things Politics" Thread (please review page 1)

Poccington

Where the fuck is Zordon?
Verified Military
I'm reminded by Wikipedia that Obama had four SecDefs...so it's only lit if Trump has five in 8 years.

In just under two years, Trump has gone through the following...

- 3 Chiefs of Staff
- 3 NSA's
- 2 Secretaries of State
- 2 DHS Secretaries
- 2 HHS Secretaries
- 2 VA Secretaries

As well as the above, he's currently in the process of trying to fill Attorney General, UN Ambassador, Interior and Defense vacancies.

If he makes it to 8 years, he'll have probably gotten through so many people that there's a distinct possibility we could see @amlove21 do a stint as any of the above.

DasBoot

Ranger
Verified SOF
And the one thing I liked about this administration is gone... good on General Mattis GTFO while he can. POTUS is really showing his arrogance... major foreign policy decisions that play right to our enemies goals, announced on Twitter, in opposition to EVERYTHING EVERYONE IN THE KNOW has said? Fucking. Clown. Shoes.

And if POTUS fucks up our deployments he’s going to lose a lot of fucking support in the Regiment...

GOTWA

Half Faceless Man
Verified Military
I was on the border with @amlove21 thinking it was the worst week. Then this dropped. I'm honestly shocked, and I agree with many others, Mattis was the one good thing this admin had left, and now I have nothing to support. I don't think we can handle another 4 years of this. #Doom&Gloom.

Devildoc

Verified Military
That really bums me out, on a very real and visceral level. Not only was he the real adult in the group, he was a consummate professional, a SECDEF who understood the art and nuances of war fighting. He is too smart to do it, but my only hope is that he runs in 2020.

Topkick

Verified Military
SSMP
Military Mentor
Trump made it clear on the campaign trail that he wanted to get out of Syria and Afghanistan as soon as possible. I'm bummed about Mattis, not sure if it's the right time to pull out of Syria, but I'm also not surprised. Trump has been relentlessly trying to do what he promised to do.

AWP

Formerly Known as Freefalling
Administrator
The demise of ISIS in the area has been greatly exaggerated, with some sources reporting strength in the tens of thousands.

As you know, but for the others in the room, just Google isis merv to get a feel for what @amlove21 is saying. That deal goes back for over a year and despite blasticating them with some JDAM, SDB, and HIMARS bukkake, they remain entrenched. Pockets in Syria still exist, while both Russian and Iranian influence remains significant.

there's a distinct possibility we could see @amlove21 do a stint as any of the above.

BloodStripe

Marine
SOF Support
SSMP
Military Mentor
As you know, but for the others in the room, just Google isis merv to get a feel for what @amlove21 is saying. That deal goes back for over a year and despite blasticating them with some JDAM, SDB, and HIMARS bukkake, they remain entrenched. Pockets in Syria still exist, while both Russian and Iranian influence remains significant.

Plus, you have the SDF now talking about releasing ISIS fighters. While it may be an idle threat I don't want to play around with that.

DocCallahan

Corpsman
Verified Military
General Mattis doing what he said
“I don’t have concerns, I create them”

I’ll crack a cold one for the modern living legend.

Another note: Does this mean more African deployments or a total drawdown?

amlove21

Pararescue
Administrator
SSMP
SOF Mentor
Have we ever really tried it? It hasn't worked with undeveloped or smaller countries, those which can be bullied, but we are a power capable of defending ourselves. We would probably be tested again (See Pearl Harbor) but, imo, we are sure to be tested on our current policy. A lot people hate us because we are not isolated enough.

Edited to add: l am not advocating anything. I don't pretend to have an answer. It's very complicated. What concerns me most is that there is no endstate. Do we pull out or should containment be our plan until forever?
I mean, the easiest answer is Switzerland. They're isolationist, right? Don't get involved in world affairs. Iceland has no national military (outside of a couple Coast Guard vessels); they don't engage in "world policing." It's not a question of "does this work" because I think pretty clearly we can see it can; the question is, "What risks are you wiling to accept to put isolationism (or nationalism or America First) on the books as our foreign policy of choice?" Switzerland and Iceland have no way to protect their national interest- I've been to Iceland to make sure Russians couldn't just fly into their air space because they wanted to flex nuts. We (world policing) stopped that incursion and sent a clear message to a neer-peer competitor.

I think it's a bit dramatic to invoke people that died in the military at a time like this (don't worry the president already did it) and take the "how many more people have to die for this effort/those lost would approve of what I am doing" road. I personally resist that.

I think we buy bigger risk on a grander scale when we pull up the drawbridge and let the village run rampant. The quote on my profile is a good summation of my feelings on the matter. I'd rather hunt wolves.

If you don't think the POTUS has an understanding of the complicated world, the engagement that he's executed in certain places has done something in SK/NK that no one else has been able to do.
I don't, and looking at that engagement now in context and with the benefit of time and examination, Kim Jong *Un got the better of that back and forth. Couple soundbites, couple pics, no real action; well other than the president considering cancelling huge military exercises and having to be spoonfed information by two smart guys (Kelly/Mattis), both so sick of his amateurism that they left.

Both of those brilliant military minds said outright the president doesn't know what he's doing. I tend to err on the side of the SME when making assumptions about things I don't personally experience.