The "All Things Politics" Thread (please review page 1)

ThunderHorse

Verified Military
I agree with everything you just said, but I wanted to highlight this because of its importance. The return China will receive will pay dividends over what it may cost, and when you consider slave labor, it doesn't cost a whole hell of a lot. They're in it for the long game, and we keep showing the world we can't even finish a game of Monopoly.

I went to an NCOPD awhile back and the discussion was about "hostility" in the workplace and how to handle it. And I'm talking about reports of people just saying profane words like 'shit' during the course of conversation or a briefing. Others responded they would shoot off an email/talk to the individual to let them know to be more courteous. I felt it was my duty during this NCOPD to remind everyone in the room, even the E9 that was leading it, that the military exists to kill people and to cause chaos and destruction wherever we go, and we're worried about people being offended when someone cusses? Sorry. It was the last NCOPD I was invited to while in Djibouti. If people are tired of deploying, then the military isn't the place for them. People serve the military, the military doesn't serve them. Yes, you can get some pretty sweet tools given to you that may pay off in ones career, but that's not what it's about. If you can't handle the war machine, someone will be willing to step up and take your place.

EDIT: no reason to talk about myself here. But, I think for all the SOF, INF, AR, ARTY types...we all joined the war machine to serve the war machine.

IRT to NCOPDs or OPDs about hostility in the workplace...there have been way too many of those since 2012.

ETA1: ok...before I get wrangled here. So who is selected...a weird name I heard listening to NPR was Petraeus, I don't understand his name being brought into this.

ETA2: I suppose we should have seen this coming a few months ago. Article from September after Bob Woodward released his book: Woodward's book reportedly spurred Trump to look to replace Mattis — here's who's at the top of that list

And again in October during the POTUS 60 minutes interview: Who Will Replace Mattis?

Current shortlist per NYDN: A few possible replacements for outgoing Defense Secretary Jim Mattis - NY Daily News

Last edited:

DasBoot

Ranger
Verified SOF
I have no idea how anyone with any ability or worth would be willing to step up to this job. They know their opinion will matter very little and they know they can be fired by a tweet. Anyone know what Oliver North is up to these days? What about Rob O’neil? He’s all MAGA.

Poccington

Where the fuck is Zordon?
Verified Military
I have no idea how anyone with any ability or worth would be willing to step up to this job. They know their opinion will matter very little and they know they can be fired by a tweet. Anyone know what Oliver North is up to these days? What about Rob O’neil? He’s all MAGA.

Lou Dobbs.

GOTWA

Half Faceless Man
Verified Military
Trump, well he is taking an asskickin the past two weeks, some deserved and some not. I did see they gave him 5 billion for his wall, I guess that's a win, if you are one of the people who want a wall.

The House did, but not the Senate. I'm sure we'll shutdown. Not sure his gamble is worth it.

Diamondback 2/2

Infantry
Verified Military
SSMP
Military Mentor
The House did, but not the Senate. I'm sure we'll shutdown. Not sure his gamble is worth it.

The Senate shouldn't be an issue, but you never know these days. Even if the government "shuts down" it won't be for more then a day or two. Those curupt fucks wouldn't know what to do with themselves if the government shutdown. It's all just bread and circus my friend.

Poccington

Where the fuck is Zordon?
Verified Military
The Senate shouldn't be an issue, but you never know these days. Even if the government "shuts down" it won't be for more then a day or two. Those curupt fucks wouldn't know what to do with themselves if the government shutdown. It's all just bread and circus my friend.

Senate will definitely be an issue. They need 60 votes and won't be getting it as long as 5 billion quid for a wall is on the table.

It's pretty insane that there's gonna be a shutdown because Rush Limbaugh gave Donald Trump shit on the radio about the wall.

GOTWA

Half Faceless Man
Verified Military
I don't think so, not this time. Trump has bluffed too many times and been called on it to bluff this one too. If he does, especially after the week he just had, he'll look even worse and nobody will take him seriously. If he doesn't cave today, I think he will ride this one out because he'll be forced to. Senate won't approve either.

Diamondback 2/2

Infantry
Verified Military
SSMP
Military Mentor
I guess we will have to sit back and watch... But I'm telling y'all they are not going to let the government "shut down" for anything more then a few days. The whole goddamn country will revolt, drag them out into the streets and execute them. No government means no federal police, no Army, no protection. The government only rules through the perceived threat of force, without that, they control nothing and nobody. They know that, simply put, they just aren't that stupid. As I said its all just bread and circus...

PDL

Former RN Submarines
Verified Military
Can you expand on what you mean by that? How does that affect our competitors (Russia, Iran, Saudi Arabia) in those regions? Does isolationism really work?
I mean that if you can't win a war after 17 years maybe it is time to swallow your pride and admit that it is unwinnable. There comes a point when you have to stop throwing good money after bad. And "saving face" does not seem like a good enough reason to sacrifice more American lives.

As for the political situation I would say that withdrawing troops does not mean America has to be totally disengaged, things could still be discussed at the diplomatic level. Who knows how it would affect Iran, Russia, Saudi Arabia - this would be an all new approach. I personally don't think the internal affairs and politics of Syria are worth one American life.

amlove21

Pararescue
Administrator
SSMP
SOF Mentor
I mean that if you can't win a war after 17 years maybe it is time to swallow your pride and admit that it is unwinnable. There comes a point when you have to stop throwing good money after bad. And "saving face" does not seem like a good enough reason to sacrifice more American lives.

As for the political situation I would say that withdrawing troops does not mean America has to be totally disengaged, things could still be discussed at the diplomatic level. Who knows how it would affect Iran, Russia, Saudi Arabia - this would be an all new approach. I personally don't think the internal affairs and politics of Syria are worth one American life.
Yeah I’ve alluded to it before but I’ll say it outright- people that think ‘winning a war’ means a general from one side gets in their class A’s and signs a paper saying ‘We Quit. We’d like democracy now’ are creating invalid binary choices. There are LOTS of things we could be doing- sometimes all at once.

When we look at it, though, giving up real property that we hold that’s militarily valuable is probably a mistake especially given the context of here and now.

As far as ‘what’s worth human lives’ and such, I’ve already made my opinion known about how I feel about that sort of statement.

DasBoot

Ranger
Verified SOF
Best (or worst) product relaunch in history?

629D8E15-9E3C-4879-8AB1-EB953ECFF919.jpeg

Secretary of Defense Jim Mattis isout.
Mattis' resignation comes amid news that President Donald Trump has directed the drawdown of 2,000 U.S. forces in Syria, and 7,000 U.S. forces from Afghanistan, a U.S. official confirmed to Military Times, a story first reported by the Wall Street Journal.
This month, in the January/February print issue of the gun and hunting magazine “Recoil," the former contractor security firm Blackwater USA published a full-page ad, in all black with a simple message: “We are coming.”
Is the war in Afghanistan — and possibly elsewhere ― about to be privatized?

Mattis is out, and Blackwater is back: ‘We are coming’

ThunderHorse

Verified Military
Well...the old Blackwater truly never left the game, just put on lipstick. 'Ol Prince just kept the IP and is restarting...it's like the XFL, but with bullets. ;-)

Diamondback 2/2

Infantry
Verified Military
SSMP
Military Mentor
My best friend did that for about 10 years before retiring to Phuket Thailand and starting a dive shop. He seems happy and padded his bank account just under 2 MIL...

With anything, it depends on the people you are working with, he didn't really care for BW but liked Triple Canopy. I think he worked the drug eradication program for Dyncorps for a couple years and liked that as well.

Anyway, it's definitely an option, if you want to spend a significant amount of time in geographic shit-holes. I can make the same money here welding pipeline and see my family when I want, not worry about keeping my top-knot or dealing with some assholes piss poor planning getting me killed.

My$.02

AWP

Formerly Known as Freefalling
Administrator
Maybe we should move the Afghan posts to the Collapse of Afghanistan thread? I don't know, I'll leave that up to others members of the staff.

I've had a few drinks and won't PUI (Post under the Influence), so I want to sleep on why strategically AFG matters, why we should stay, but why we should pull out. Yes, there's a contradiction there, but I'll explain that manana.

Cheers!