The "All Things Politics" Thread (please review page 1)

Topkick

Verified Military
SSMP
Military Mentor
I realize 19ds think highly of themselves...they are good men and I have to take up for them. Say what you will, they are my brothers! With that, like Ooh-Rah says, lets get back on track!

ke4gde

Geek
SOF Support
Every morning I am half afraid to look at my phone to see how many news alerts are on there, about what the POTUS did or didn't do, or what blew up, or what NK tested, etc., etc.

You mean like this?

Devildoc

Verified Military
Y'all keep talking about Cav scouts and you are just gonna get this thread closed again....

As far as derisive name-calling goes for our esteemed (and less than esteemed) elected officials, some months ago after a very bad day in which I was in a dark place I called HRC a couple names that weren't quite to forum standards, and I was kindly and rightfully corrected. It was a painless rebuke by a moderator ("hey, I edited that, and by the way, it didn't seem like you, you know better") and it was all good. I think we all fly off the handle from time to time and need the boot from that team/platoon sergeant to remind us of the standard. Once or twice in an aberration, more than that is a pattern and no bueno. I really appreciate that for the most part people here keep it on the up and up.

AWP

Formerly Known as Freefalling
Administrator
Trump's use of Twitter is probably one of the most interesting dynamics of his presidency. He used to get into office, but now its become more of a liability. If he'd just stop posting 75% of the noise will die down. The media won't have incendiary quotes to run with and the Left won't have fuel for their rage. "He's connecting with his base" or whatever is the argument, but if he'd just stay off of Twitter things would be a lot better for America. Social media and our short attention spans are a ridiculously dangerous combination and he's playing into the hands of his critics.

Let's be honest, and this goes for anyone to inhabit 1600 Penn. Ave.: you can be a total clown and the office will still confer some dignity and respect. Put your head down and bumble through life, no worries. You go on Twitter and fan the flames, it won't matter what you do with your term.

Devildoc

Verified Military
Let's be honest, and this goes for anyone to inhabit 1600 Penn. Ave.: you can be a total clown and the office will still confer some dignity and respect. Put your head down and bumble through life, no worries. You go on Twitter and fan the flames, it won't matter what you do with your term.

This is true. People thought that Jimmy Carter was a bumbling redneck, people thought that Ronald Reagan was a two bit actor and part-time politician. Being in the office alone can I make you more dignified and Elevate you. What he is doing with Twitter will certainly make things far harder than they need to be, and give him a legacy he will not want.

As far as Twitter, the mechanism itself is not necessarily a bad thing, if you would just use his powers for good. All he needs to do is say, "hey, we're rolling out this initiative", or "hey America, we have this going". But using it as a platform to which attack people and as a bully pulpit is just no good.

amlove21

Pararescue
Administrator
SSMP
SOF Mentor
So, the JFK files were set to be released anyway per procedure, but President Trump is gonna go ahead and say he's not doing anything to stop it. Uh, sweet.

I think something we are all overlooking is the next two months of pure comedy gold. Thanksgiving, pardoning the turkey, the impending "war on christmas" 2 months when Starbucks releases whatever cup they use, who knows how many ridiculous tweets.

I actually have a reason to watch SNL!

AWP

Formerly Known as Freefalling
Administrator
A War on Christmas is stupid. Do you know the kind of CAS Santa can bring to bear? Can an F-22 even shoot down a sleigh? Have Rudolph dim that nav beacon, paint the sleigh low-viz grey, "9 line follows", baby.

Now a War on Thanksgiving, that's the one to have. Show up with some special blankets and a handful of beads. Book it, done.

Easter - Bunny's cute, leave him alone (yes, I just assumed that bunny's gender)

Halloween - Do you want to explain to your kids why there's no free candy this year?

Nah, Turkey Day is the day to bomb IF we have a war. No blood for green bean casserole.

TWA 847 complete. I need more coffee.

SaintKP

A War on Christmas is stupid. Do you know the kind of CAS Santa can bring to bear? Can an F-22 even shoot down a sleigh? Have Rudolph dim that nav beacon, paint the sleigh low-viz grey, "9 line follows", baby.

Now a War on Thanksgiving, that's the one to have. Show up with some special blankets and a handful of beads. Book it, done.

Easter - Bunny's cute, leave him alone (yes, I just assumed that bunny's gender)

Halloween - Do you want to explain to your kids why there's no free candy this year?

Nah, Turkey Day is the day to bomb IF we have a war. No blood for green bean casserole.

TWA 847 complete. I need more coffee.

Why go after the 3rd best holiday? Sure the Easter Bunny is cute and all, but I heard he doesn't pay his taxes and he takes from the collection plate every Sunday. Not to mention the fact that he is often seen drunk in public with no regard to those around him.

Whereas what has the fantastic day of Thanksgiving ever done wrong? Other than provide a day of great food, football, day drinking, and a well earned nap at the end of it. Sure the in-laws are a hard negative, but that's what the day drinking is for.

If you're going to make war on a holiday do it against Columbus Day, I haven't gotten anything positive out of it since I was in school. It is useless as a holiday through and through.

Topkick

Verified Military
SSMP
Military Mentor
This is true. People thought that Jimmy Carter was a bumbling redneck, people thought that Ronald Reagan was a two bit actor and part-time politician. Being in the office alone can I make you more dignified and Elevate you

Jimmy Carter didn't get much respect, but I'll say that he has and is doing more for America now than he did as President. Trumps legacy will certainly be an interesting one.O_o