The "All Things Politics" Thread (please review page 1)

DasBoot

Ranger
Verified SOF
Jimmy Carter didn't get much respect, but I'll say that he has and is doing more for America now than he did as President. Trumps legacy will certainly be an interesting one.O_o
I had a conversation with my uncle a couple weeks ago about President Carter. To paraphrase him, Carter was a dog shit president. As a former president he has set the standard. He carries himself in such a way that you really can’t help but have respect for him and the way he treats his status.

Salt USMC

Intel
SOF Support
Meanwhile, Fox News is broadcasting from an alternate reality

Il Duce

Intel Enabler
Verified SOF
SSMP
Military Mentor
The "dossier scandal" is a load of crap that exists in Tucker Carlson's fever dreams, and someone is going to be doing the perp walk come monday.

I agree the 'dossier' scandal and 'Meuller should resign' are right-wing fantasy concoctions. They don't even follow the basic logic the right has been applying to the rest of the story - i.e. if Democrats supported opposition research that connected to Russia accusations that's terrible - but if the President's son and chief advisors met with Russian sources to gain intelligence on HRC from the Russian government (and lied about it) that's just normal 'oppo research.' Similarly, Meuller is hopelessly biased - he knows someone President Trump screwed over (Comey) and some of his staff has voted/given money to Democrats - or their spouses have. If that's the standard for folks that shouldn't be making decisions shouldn't the entire Trump family be out - after all they gave to and voted Democrat up until a few years ago.

However, I think people are getting way to excited about indictments starting - other than we should start getting more information about the investigation's findings reasonably soon. There has always been a very tiered level of culpability in these investigations - Manafort, Flynn, and a couple others should definitely be shitting themselves. But, that's a far cry from charges directly affecting the President - or the type of thing that could bring down a Presidency. I doubt any of this is going to look good for the President the more evidence that comes out. But, the response from the President has been very consistent - and reasonably effective politically - just yell that any accusations are fake news and lies, even when incontrovertible evidence is provided and/or the administration has admitted to several of the aspects. So far the right has stayed behind the President on everything that's come up - at least 80-90% regardless of information or evidence that comes out. I'm not sure there's anything that could come out to change that - i.e. look at Fox news headlines. It doesn't matter if video of the President taking money from Putin and laughing about disinformation comes out - the right is not going to come off the horse they bet on.

So, I'm interested in what the Meuller investigation has come up with - especially the financial ties which I think are far more motivating and entangled than the campaign stuff - but I am very skeptical that any of it will lead to changing minds. Also, the President can pardon anyone below him (this President believes he can pardon himself) and any charges against a President have to come from Congress as articles of impeachment. So, as long as Republicans maintain a majority the Trump administration has a powerful incentive to just take the lumps at let the President weather the storm.

Florida173

SOF Support
I do believe some of you guys are being a bit too dismissive of the Fusion GPS scandal. Conspiracy theories is one thing, but be a bit more objective on this one. The whole thing does sounds shady and difficult to believe with for British spies named Steele and stuff, but I'm not going to be dismissive.

Poccington

Where the fuck is Zordon?
Verified Military
I do believe some of you guys are being a bit too dismissive of the Fusion GPS scandal. Conspiracy theories is one thing, but be a bit more objective on this one. The whole thing does sounds shady and difficult to believe with for British spies named Steele and stuff, but I'm not going to be dismissive.

What is the scandal with regards to the Steele Dossier exactly?

It has been reported for months that it was initially funded by Republicans during the Republican Primaries and then once it was clear Trump was gonna be the Republican nominee, they dropped it and Democrats picked it up. All that has changed is that the people on the Republican and Democrat sides who funded the opposition research have now been identified.

I hope my question doesn't come across as snarky or dismissive by the way, it's a genuine question but it doesn't seem to read well as I looked back at it.

amlove21

Pararescue
Administrator
SSMP
SOF Mentor
So, to start the week, here is what's important (if you ONLY LOOKED at the President's twitter from Thursday- Sunday).

- The fact that there was no collusion with Russia on an election that happened a year ago
- Lee Greenwood's birthday
- Sean Hannity's greatness
- The release of JFK files
- Michael Moore's broadway show
- The opiod crisis

Let's see how this week plays out!!!

Florida173

SOF Support
So, to start the week, here is what's important (if you ONLY LOOKED at the President's twitter from Thursday- Sunday).

- The fact that there was no collusion with Russia on an election that happened a year ago
- Lee Greenwood's birthday
- Sean Hannity's greatness
- The release of JFK files
- Michael Moore's broadway show
- The opiod crisis

Let's see how this week plays out!!!

Thankfully people don't look to Twitter to know what's important.