The "All Things Politics" Thread (please review page 1)

amlove21

Pararescue
Administrator
SSMP
SOF Mentor
I have to ask, knowing your earlier disdain for the Joe/ Hunter/ corruption takes, is the above serious?
I am 100% serious. I don’t bother to be ‘cute’ in this thread anymore. I don’t honestly value the overall discussion. But there are, occasionally, some blatantly true things I’d like to point out.

My take hasn’t changed. I don’t believe anything at first take anymore. I don’t believe the initial story, ever, anymore and there are too many examples of these stories for me to bite in the first 24 hours.

I learned my lesson from the Steele Dossier (I was on the wrong side of that one). This story has all the hallmarks of the Steele dossier at the outset, so hell yes, I am skeptical. So, when people breathlessly scream this shit at the top of our lungs? My willingness to care is inversely proportional to the flail.

To my comment- holy fuck, I’m no political expert, but Biden’s campaign trying the Trump course (lie, deny, gaslight and double down) on this one seems like SUICIDE. Those pictures aren’t photoshop. This isn’t faked. They’re betting their election, literally, on someone who seems to be a drug addict. I don’t believe this to be disinformation (as much as I believe anything to be ‘true’ at this point, which is like, never).

So all it takes is one corroboration of these emails. One thing to pop up true and this whole house of cards falls? Why the fuck is the political advantage of putting yourself in a position like this so close to the election?

Yes, I’m serious. Yes, this seems to be terrible optics.

The actual ‘wrong’ here, though, is simply about the access. Hunter was selling access. That’s not illegal, but it’s immoral. You wanna make the case that Biden knows it was happening and is somehow complicit or whatever, and that’s not a reason to vote for him, ok? I guess.

I’m just tired of the fake outrage. Get the fuck over it. Politics is corrupt. This story was held for a YEAR. It appears that Giuliani had this hard drive since April??

ETA- the reason I bring up my last paragraph is to say this. If you’re of a mind that this story is SO IMPORTANT and the biggest things in the news cycle- you owe me the explanation as to why it wasn’t important when it was discovered, but when it was politically valuable. Because the only people that can be blamed for the holding of the story are the people we now are pretending that they care about America by getting the story out.

Last edited:

Cookie_

SOF Support
So this hasn't been brought up so far. We've previously discussed mail-in ballots vs absentee ballots. So in Pennsylvania 370k ballot requents have been rejected. 90% of those requests were duplicates. So 333k people sent in two ballot requests.

370K Pennsylvania mail-in ballot applications rejected: Report

Not at all surprising; people are generally confused about the process in states mail-in voting isn't as common.

The main reason? Many people who voted during the June primaries may have already checked a box to request a mail-in ballot for the November election.

I wasn't old enough to be aware of the fallout surrounding the 2000 election, but this seems like it will be worse.

ThunderHorse

Verified Military
At least in Arizona, I have only gotten one vote by mail application. I moved over the Summer so I re-registered to vote. My Voter ID card came in a the mail a few weeks ago.

I would also say I've not been confused by any vote by mail process ever, maybe that's because I read the actual mailer and 90% of people apparently don't.

Intel Nerd

Intelligence Analyst
Verified Military
At least in Arizona, I have only gotten one vote by mail application. I moved over the Summer so I re-registered to vote. My Voter ID card came in a the mail a few weeks ago.

I would also say I've not been confused by any vote by mail process ever, maybe that's because I read the actual mailer and 90% of people apparently don't.

Yeah. AZ is pretty straightforward. When I switched from Pima to Cochise County, I got them to send me my ballots for the primaries and the general election. Sitting on my table atm actually. It's a fairly simple process when you read the instructions instead of the first and last 10% of it.

Blizzard

The Hunter Biden story is really a nonstarter.

First, it's Biden's son, not him, and that's the way many will see it. Most simply aren't willing to peel back the layers to understand what's going on.

And second, even if they did, do you really think any Democrat/leftist is principled enough that this story would outweigh their hatred for Trump?! Not a chance. Short of Biden murdering someone on live t.v., they aren't changing their minds..and even then...

There were plenty of things about Joe not to like prior to this story. If those didn't push a person in a given direction, this won't either. So, this story really isn't moving the needle.

Last edited:

Marauder06

Intel Enabler

Marauder06

Intel Enabler

Salt USMC

Intel
SOF Support
"Propagandist" seems to be an appropriate word to describe him, given his past.

That doesn't necessarily mean he's wrong in this case, though.

...but it doesn't mean he's right, either. I'll wait for more corroboration but right now I'm skeptical.
I mean, the FBI apparently has had possession of the hard drive for almost a year. Given that fact, if Hunter actually had CP on there, would he not have been arrested months ago? It doesn’t make any sense at all.

Hey @Salt USMC -

Help me understand the context of this? These are obviously some pretty heavy accusations.
Wayne Allyn Root, an OG birther guy, is claiming that his “sources” have seen CP material among the stuff on Hunter Biden’s laptop. It’s transparent horse manure.

Last edited:

Marauder06

Intel Enabler
I mean, the FBI apparently has had possession of the hard drive for almost a year. Given that fact, if Hunter actually had CP on there, would he not have been arrested months ago? It doesn’t make any sense at all.

Wayne Allyn Root, an OG birther guy, is claiming that his “sources” have seen CP material among the stuff on Hunter Biden’s laptop. It’s transparent horse manure.

Yeah, this whole thing is SUPER sketchy. And Root has bought into many eventually-decredited theories in the past as well.

Cookie_

SOF Support
Hey @Salt USMC -

Help me understand the context of this? These are obviously some pretty heavy accusations.
We've brought QAnon up before a few times, but the jist of it if you aren't familiar is:

"Satan worshipping pedophiles have secretly infiltrated the highest levels of multiple governments and businesses. President Trump is secretly working to reveal them all."

This all comes from someone on 4chan who claimed they were a top government official with Q Clearance (hence the name).

QAnon - Wikipedia

Last edited:

Salt USMC

Intel
SOF Support
Yeah, Cookie explained Qanon pretty succinctly. It’s a truly bonkers conspiracy, but also fascinating, in a way. Somehow a random poster on 4chan got a not-insignificant portion of the American electorate (on both sides!) to believe that a Satan-worshipping pedophile cabal lives off of the adrenochrome in the blood of children.

I should add that I’m not trying to paint the right as the only purveyors of propaganda and disinformation. Both sides definitely do it. However, it’s another thing entirely to just accuse your political opponents of raping and torturing children, as Wayne has done here.

One good example I can think of from the left side of the spectrum is Louise Mensch, former British parliament member and terminally wrong Twitter poster: Lurid Trump allegations made by Louise Mensch and co-writer came from hoaxer

This tweet, in particular, was what caused most of the #Resistance libs to call BS and stop following her: Louise Mensch makes bizarre claim that Trump and Bannon face the death penalty

The tweet itself has long-since been deleted, but it was pants-on-head stupid.

Mensch's tweet, currently pinned to the top of her profile, reads: "My sources say the death penalty, for espionage, being considered for @StevenKBannon. I am pro-life and take no pleasure in reporting this."

Last edited:

Blizzard

This 100%! (bolded portion above)

I'm an Occam's razor kind of person. This Root guy falls into the batshit crazy category for me. None of what he says makes any logical sense.

Cookie_

SOF Support
But the Q SCI is just nuclear stuff.. why would anyone go along with that?

Because it sounds even higher level than a top secret clearance. Also throw in a bit of "my political opponents are all pure evil" and people will eat it hook, line, and sinker, regardless of evidence.

Remember Jade Helm 15? That's the one in which Obama was "prepping Americans for military invasion of dissident States with Chinese support". For a certain subset of people opposed to the government at that time, it seemed totally feasible.

Another reason Q has caught on is Trump keeps retweeting stuff from QAnon accounts/personalities on twitter.
I know we've(all members, not just us) had some debates on whether "dog whistles" are an actual thing or not, but I think we can agree that the type of person who thinks Satanist Pedophiles run the world might also think it has to be true if the President tweets about it.

Florida173

SOF Support
Because it sounds even higher level than a top secret clearance. Also throw in a bit of "my political opponents are all pure evil" and people will eat it hook, line, and sinker, regardless of evidence.

Remember Jade Helm 15? That's the one in which Obama was "prepping Americans for military invasion of dissident States with Chinese support". For a certain subset of people opposed to the government at that time, it seemed totally feasible.

Another reason Q has caught on is Trump keeps retweeting stuff from QAnon accounts/personalities on twitter.
I know we've(all members, not just us) had some debates on whether "dog whistles" are an actual thing or not, but I think we can agree that the type of person who thinks Satanist Pedophiles run the world might also think it has to be true if the President tweets about it.

As long as my liberal friends keep beginning it up, I'm sure it will last.