The "All Things Politics" Thread (please review page 1)

Marauder06

Intel Enabler
Very interesting article in Quillette ref. heuristics, specfically "availability cascades" and how we come to espouse the views that we do:

How Availability Cascades are Shaping our Politics

excerpt:

We are the company we keep. Although our beliefs and actions are personal, they are often heavily affected by the people around us. When everyone else seems to be thinking the same way, we may succumb to crowd pressure rather than thinking for ourselves.

When all available information seems to indicate that everyone is falling in line with a certain belief, we may be under the influence of an “availability cascade.” Today, our politics and public discourse are being poisoned by availability cascades. Thanks partly to partisan domination of the media and academia, many people are being pressured into publicly espousing beliefs that are not their own.

Devildoc

Verified Military
Very interesting article in Quillette ref. heuristics, specfically "availability cascades" and how we come to espouse the views that we do:

excerpt:

A step-cousin to bias confirmation; looking for people or data that supports your position. Interesting take on how contrasting opinion can shape that. BTW, here's another Poli Sci 101 word for you: psephology. I pulled out my poli sci text that I have kept now for almost 34 years, and it's not in there. Just heard this yesterday, even though I had a semester studying the 'science' almost 34 years ago.

Regarding voting early vice in-person, the data are clear; historically, early voting favors the democrats, and in-person favors republicans. It's been that way for a long time. I think the hypothesis that this year there's a lot of early voter by both parties (but still heavily skewed democrat) is for the reasons mentioned by @Blizzard .

Juggrnaut

Unverified
All politics aside, theories of Biden getting dumped for Harris, scandals etc. This is embarrassing and unacceptable for a presidential candidate. He can’t put together thoughts, he can’t even read from notes or a teleprompter correctly half the time... that’s not who should be representing this country as it’s leader.

Blizzard

excerpt:
On a similar note, the U.S. has a population of ~328M. With any population that size, it's not difficult to find anecdotal examples of just about anything a person wants.

The problem is we're at a point where everything is caught on video and broadcast near real-time, if not actual real-time, to a worldwide audience. Those anecdotal examples have now become accepted as the "truth" to support or shape many broad, and often inaccurate or plainly false, characterizations.

Last edited:

SaintKP

All politics aside, theories of Biden getting dumped for Harris, scandals etc. This is embarrassing and unacceptable for a presidential candidate. He can’t put together thoughts, he can’t even read from notes or a teleprompter correctly half the time... that’s not who should be representing this country as it’s leader.

This isn't an attack on the point you've made or even in support of Biden nor is it an attack on Trump. But we're in a post-statesman world, gone are the days of the "ideal" politician (Think your the Bush family, Reagan, Obama, etc).

People don't care anymore what is presentable, only whether it's their tribe or not.

Juggrnaut

Unverified
This isn't an attack on the point you've made or even in support of Biden nor is it an attack on Trump. But we're in a post-statesman world, gone are the days of the "ideal" politician (Think your the Bush family, Reagan, Obama, etc).

People don't care anymore what is presentable, only whether it's their tribe or not.
Totally agree.

Devildoc

Verified Military

I think you are largely right, but only partially. We see these things through the microscope of our time-limited vantage: the here and now, under our noses (we see this in "best/worst president ever" polls). In our lifetime this started to change with Bush Junior and the 2000 election, and has only become worse. But historically, if you read docs and books about the early presidents, a lot of people hated John Adams. A lot of European leaders did not see him as a statesman but as a buffoons. Ironically, he was increasingly someone who protected his tribe. He started out against party politics but he and Jefferson really created what we're seeing today.

Blizzard

I think you are largely right, but only partially. We see these things through the microscope of our time-limited vantage: the here and now, under our noses (we see this in "best/worst president ever" polls). In our lifetime this started to change with Bush Junior and the 2000 election, and has only become worse. But historically, if you read docs and books about the early presidents, a lot of people hated John Adams. A lot of European leaders did not see him as a statesman but as a buffoons. Ironically, he was increasingly someone who protected his tribe. He started out against party politics but he and Jefferson really created what we're seeing today.
The difference is today we have a constant barrage of information telling us this or that. There is no escape.

20 years ago, it was there but not as prevalent. 40 years ago, there was network news and daily news publications only. Word travelled slower and wasn't at every turn. Things had time to simmer or be worked out.

To me, it's a lot like the advice to not respond to email when you're too emotionally connected. Let it sit overnight, collect yourself, then respond the following day. We don't have that buffer anymore. Knee jerk reaction is the norm now.

ThunderHorse

Verified Military

Senators used to duel, one was almost caned to death. Caning of Charles Sumner - Wikipedia

Salt USMC

Intel
SOF Support
Last edited:

Cookie_

SOF Support
Come on Mr. President, dial it back just a bit, sir?

View attachment 36503
Normally I'd say the No Christmas/4th of July statements were the "attack on Christmas/patriotism" you usually see used, but weddings and graduations is a touch more hyperbolic than normal.

Why stop there though?

- No more burgers at fast food restaurants

- Valentine's Day can only be celebrated by LGBTQ

- Black coffee will be illegal, only Starbucks lattes

- Harris will personally steal money from your paycheck after you cash/deposit it

R.Caerbannog

Verified Military
I'm glad you threw this up here.
And then there's this. I'm curious if he feels Trump is going to lose and felt safe to come out of hiding.

‘Anonymous’ is former DHS official Miles Taylor
Maybe he's been made, is afraid of the blowback, and is now trying to put himself in the public spotlight to garner sympathy.
What trashy asshole. And he just provides credence to folks opinions of a "deep state".
@lindy did mention that the Deep State is a bunch of unscrupulous bureaucrats who wield an extraordinary amount of power and influence. Between the coup on POTUS, Biden documents, and all these other information drops, I think it's safe to say the Deep State is real.