The "All Things Politics" Thread (please review page 1)

GOTWA

Half Faceless Man
Verified Military
I still can't get passed Biden talking about fixing the economic situation when, IMO, it was largely Democrat governors that killed jobs. Then his plan to increase taxes along the way. And I'm all about my student loans being paid, but I'm also not about my taxes being raised to do it. So I'll pay them myself because it was my decision to take them.

AWP

Formerly Known as Freefalling
Administrator
In a couple of days your candidate won't win. Before you gnash your teeth and threaten to flee the country remember: you can do it this year! See, with the 'Rona, no one's taking your American ass anyway, so feel free to posture. No one can call you on your bullshit.

Now you're a badass with no repercussions.

This is the way.

Devildoc

Verified Military
I see that "national" polls have Biden up 10 points. Yet in most of the battleground states most of the polls are close to the margin of error. I think in every state early voting has concluded. Going to be interesting.

Ooh-Rah

Semper-Fi
I've been verbally predicting this for the past 2 months -

Trump plans to declare premature victory if he appears "ahead" on election night

I'll add on to say, my biggest concern over this election is that if he loses, he will refuse to concede and for the first time in our nation's history we will not have a "peaceful transfer of power".

It will be as far as I'm concerned, our nation's first "true" constitutional crisis.

Cookie_

SOF Support
I see that "national" polls have Biden up 10 points. Yet in most of the battleground states most of the polls are close to the margin of error. I think in every state early voting has concluded. Going to be interesting.

Vox recently had a decent interview with Nate Silver of 538 about this and other polling questions. Silver mentioned that the margin of error makes it a toss up.

One other funny thing about this election is that because of Trump’s Electoral College advantage, there is not much middle ground between a Biden landslide and an extremely competitive, down-to-the-wire photo finish.

If Trump beats his polls by 2 points, that’s a toss-up. If Biden beats his polls by 2 points, then it’s Obama 2008, which people consider a landslide. So the Electoral College edge makes a big difference and is why there’s been this very bifurcated, binary kind of world where we seem to oscillate between, “oh, my gosh, 2016 again” and “Trump is Herbert Hoover.”

Nate Silver on why 2020 isn’t 2016

SpitfireV

Strike first, strike hard, no mercy!
I'd read something that supposedly the plan if they lose is to do something with the courts, get a recount and then try and stack the electors (if I've got that right) with those favourable. I'll try and find the link when I get home since I'm a bit fuzzy on the details but I'm sure someone will have an idea what I'm on about (or noone will, not an unusual thing).

ThunderHorse

Verified Military
I'd read something that supposedly the plan if they lose is to do something with the courts, get a recount and then try and stack the electors (if I've got that right) with those favourable. I'll try and find the link when I get home since I'm a bit fuzzy on the details but I'm sure someone will have an idea what I'm on about (or noone will, not an unusual thing).
In every state, both parties have teams of lawyers ready with complaints written to file. This isn't a "Trump plans to do this", "Biden plans to do this". Both of them have contingency plans in place to challenge this election via the courts in all 50 states.

Kaldak

Wheelchair Kamikaze
I've been verbally predicting this for the past 2 months -

Trump plans to declare premature victory if he appears "ahead" on election night

I'll add on to say, my biggest concern over this election is that if he loses, he will refuse to concede and for the first time in our nation's history we will not have a "peaceful transfer of power".

It will be as far as I'm concerned, our nation's first "true" constitutional crisis.

Honestly, I'm more worried about what will happen if/when Trump wins the electoral college and loses the popular vote, which he will.

ThunderHorse

Verified Military
Honestly, I'm more worried about what will happen if/when Trump wins the electoral college and loses the popular vote, which he will.
Based on what businesses have done in major cities so far, plywood up with 2x4s structured behind them. I don't want this crappiness that we had this last Summer to be our future.

Kaldak

Wheelchair Kamikaze
Based on what businesses have done in major cities so far, plywood up with 2x4s structured behind them. I don't want this crappiness that we had this last Summer to be our future.

Plywood hasn't even come down since August here. Remove people walking on the street (no cars allowed on the main bar/shop street), and you'd think it is an abandoned old west settlement.

Kraut783

SOF Support