The Beretta M9 in the sand box. My experience. Circa 2004

Bypass

Evil Genius
I don't know what the kids are using today but the beretta I had over there would not feed reliably. In that dusty hell you would fire a round and it was like the recoil spring in the firearm didn't have enough power to force home the next round. I kept the gun pretty clean but it also was pretty dry and that dust would just get into everything. I may have just had a bad firearm or a weak recoil spring because my M4 and my 249 and my 50 cal all worked fine.

Anyone else have this experience with the M9 in the desert?

I use to carry a beretta as a civilian and never an issue even with cans but I have since coming home switched to Glocks.

This was back in 2004 and I have heard they being beretta made changes to the M9 using a plastic guide rod and a few other components. I wonder if this helped.

Anyways just the thought crossed my mind today and I thought I'd share.

Bypass

Evil Genius
I never had to fire mine, so I never had any issues one way or the other.
I never fired the Beretta in combat either. We had a range day over there in Al Kut with ODA 515 and some MARSOC Recon guys and some Ukrainians. Needless to say I was pretty embarrassed when my side arm failed to fire in front of everyone. I oiled it up thinking maybe it was just too dry but it would still fail to chamber the next round reliably.

The only two weapons I ever fired in combat were the 249 and the 50 cal but they were rather short engagements luckily. Or they seemed short from my perspective even though it seemed like everything slowed down when the bullets were flying. When 60 seconds seems like an eternity.

Totentanz

Civil Affairs
Verified SOF
Not dust related, but while CONUS I experienced what you described during a qualification. Spent the rest of that qual slapping the back of the slide every 3-4 rounds and finished. When I brought it up with our armorer, he found that the recoil spring was significantly shorter than spec.

I'm not sure if any parts had changed - this was around 2011-12 (ish).

Marauder06

Intel Enabler
Well, in the interests of full disclosure, in seven deployments I never fired ANY weapons. Except to zero. They all worked fine then :)

Bypass

Evil Genius
Not dust related, but while CONUS I experienced what you described during a qualification. Spent the rest of that qual slapping the back of the slide every 3-4 rounds and finished. When I brought it up with our armorer, he found that the recoil spring was significantly shorter than spec.

I'm not sure if any parts had changed - this was around 2011-12 (ish).
Yup sounds like the same issue I had.

Edit; It may have been a USACAPOC thing. Maybe someone didn't like us. LOL

Last edited:

Tinman6

Bio Defense
Verified Military
When the beretta was spec’d for military issue. The DoD insisted on the phosphate coating for magazines. Which gathers crap on it quickly, especially in dusty environments.
The “advantage”of having an open slide just compounded the problems.
I had nothing but problems with the first m9 I had. Which oddly enough I didn’t have. When I purchased the same pistol a few years later. The mags were blue steel mecgars.
Awesome photos 👍

Bypass

Evil Genius
@Bypass , did you guys use a terp?
Yes Sir we went through several. Sadly after my unit left Iraq someone went into His home and killed him in front of his wife and kids. He was a good man and he was the Brother in law of the local governor.

Azziz was his name. This was him after he was kidnapped by the local Iraqi police and tortured. We were very angry about that.
Rest in peace my friend.

1576701852281.jpeg

DSC07766.JPGDSC07767.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Ooh-Rah

Marine
@Bypass

I put one of your photos into the “spoiler” tab just so folks reading the forum can choose whether or not they want to see that particular type of picture.

Bypass

Evil Genius
@Bypass

I put one of your photos into the “spoiler” tab just so folks reading the forum can choose whether or not they want to see that particular type of picture.
Roger that. But please delete anything you feel is out of line.

My mental wiring isn't what it use to be and I can be offensive not really meaning to be.

policemedic

Verified SWAT
We got them when they were new in 1988 (or was it 89?). They sucked then, and suck now. We kept a cache of 1911s until we couldn’t, and when I got off AD and went to a USAR unit I found they’d done the same thing. They still had some fine 1911s squirreled away.

That said, I agree with @Kraut783. For that AO, I’d want a Glock.