• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

The MARCH Algorithm in Tactical Combat Casualty Care

Marauder06

Intel Enabler
Former Ranger PA now med school student wrote this article. Even as a non-medical-practicioner, I nonetheless found it pretty interesting:

The MARCH algorithm is synonymous with Tactical Combat Casualty Care (TCCC). It is a simple acronym for remembering the necessary steps in priority for saving lives in combat. M-massive hemorrhage, A-airway, R-respiratory, C-circulation, and H-hypothermia.

Recently EMS1.com published an article about the concept of the MARCH algorithm. While it is well known that civilian trauma and prehospital care advances greatly from military medicine during wars, at times, there is a failure of understanding about the meaning and reasoning behind the military’s rationale.

SaintKP

Unverified
It's extremely out of my lane but I think anyone with even a basic interest in medicine/trauma care should take a look in all honesty, while I don't know everything that the article is talking about I definitely gained more of an understanding behind the steps for it [trauma care].

Red Flag 1

Ordo Fratrum Hospitalis Loannis Hierosoymitani
Great post @Marauder06

This is obviously our standard in my career field because it's the standard for SOF. And although we add PAWS/HITMAN for our specific advanced use, MARCH is trauma lifesaving 101. Self aid, buddy care, just general- folks should be taught this principle. It's easy, it works.
Great article!

Here is a little look at hypothermia and other things that impact oxygen delivery to the cells. Most in the business already know about this, but for Self-aid and Buddy Care information.

Oxygen-Haemoglobin Dissociation Curve

SaintKP

Unverified
Great article!

Here is a little look at hypothermia and other things that impact oxygen delivery to the cells. Most in the business already know about this, but for Self-aid and Buddy Care information.

Oxygen-Haemoglobin Dissociation Curve
Thank you for sharing that, sorry if this question is ignorant but when you go to these websites are you googling specific trauma related things or do you already know before hand of websites that provide this sort of information?

Red Flag 1

Ordo Fratrum Hospitalis Loannis Hierosoymitani
Thank you for sharing that, sorry if this question is ignorant but when you go to these websites are you googling specific trauma related things or do you already know before hand of websites that provide this sort of information?
I know the point I want to make and a relatively good idea of how I would like the end product. There are subscription sites that the medical field has and that would be the ideal way to go, the problem is that without paying you can't see the image. So......

I google the topic and read through most of them and go with the site that best supports what little bit of knowledge I'm trying to pass along. I don't avoid Wiki, but I like articles from a science/medicine based journal or website for unquestioned credibility. Wiki covers a lot of stuff quite well, but..........

I hope that answers your question. If not, let me know and I'll take another shot at it.