• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

USMC to 18X, and pretty old.

Mar 7, 2018
I'm a former Marine (2673) and I EAS'd (honorable) in July 2015. I got out, finished college and am currently contracting in Afghanistan. I am 29 years old, no criminal record, active TS/SCI, 98 ASVAB, 136 DLAB. I'm in good shape but obviously I plan on training a lot more to prepare. I'm wondering what the possibilities are of me even receiving an 18X contract with the Army. I understand the age limit is 30 and therefore would be an issue, is it commonly waivered? Any input would be sincerely appreciated.

Red Flag 1

Verified Military
Sep 28, 2010
Your first post is an intro post in the Introduction thread area. Read "New Members Begin Here" for the site rules. Once you have posted an introduction and filled out your bio, we can unlock this thread.

Verified Military
Dec 1, 2017
Check this link out and scroll down to the Army Special Forces part.

How Old Can You Be To Enlist In The Military?

Your Marine background may put you in a good spot to get an age waiver. According to this article, your number of years is subtracted from your age for eligibility. There are countless stories, questions, and threads on this. Some with clear and some with not so clear answers. My advice is shoot for it and get a clear answer. Contact an Army recruiter, state the information you found regarding your age(the positive info of course) and work with him to get you the waiver and package in.

If your heart is so set for 18X, the National Guard does not have an age limit. I highly encourage you to do more digging on this site and google. You may find some more success stories that will point you in the right direction.

Special Forces Prior Service Applicants | National Guard

Don't quit til' you get a NO from the people who have the final say of whether you get in or not. Middle men will only look into what they know with the little time they have. Expand their knowledge, you increase your chances of getting the right answers and the right direction.

God speed Marine.