Weighing OCS vs enlisting

Hi all, I'll try to keep this short.

I'm a senior in college right now and I'm set to graduate in May. I've been heading toward medical school but the military has always been a goal of mine. I was going to head in after medical school but I would like to fully commit to trying for the special forces before I want to settle down. Medical school is still the ultimate goal.

That being said, 18D (while I'm sure it's competitive) is very enticing. However, I'm wary about enlisting. I'm a beginner in all of this. My brother has gone to USAF OCS and I would like to follow suit. However, I have learned that to be eligible for SOF as an officer, I need to be a 1LT (promote-able to Captain) - I also would not be eligible for 18D.

Realistically, what are my options? Is there any way I could be in medical school by 30 and have served in the SOF?

Thanks,
Ethan

Ocoka

Combined Action
Verified Military
Judging by your last sentence, you're already planning your departure from the Army. I can't help you with specifics, but generally speaking, both of your goals require incredible commitment. Pick one, focus on it like a laser and worry about what comes after down the road.

Realistically, what are my options? Is there any way I could be in medical school by 30 and have served in the SOF?

Thanks,
Ethan
You could serve and still accomplish Medical school(though at whatever age is up to you) if you want to. Just focus on your stuff and make it happen.

That's what Hoot did.

Devildoc

Verified Military
When I worked in the Surgery-trauma ICU at UNC Hospitals, we had two residents, one a surgery resident, the other a gas-passer. The surgery resident was a former 18D, the gas-passer, a former PJ. The SF guy was close to 40, the other, young, maybe 30ish (this was 2003/4 or so).

@Ocoka is right: focus on what you want to do. It can be done (enlisted SOF-to-MD), but if you choose to go officer, while rewarding and fulfilling blah blah blah, you have different options.

When I worked in the Surgery-trauma ICU at UNC Hospitals, we had two residents, one a surgery resident, the other a gas-passer. The surgery resident was a former 18D, the gas-passer, a former PJ. The SF guy was close to 40, the other, young, maybe 30ish (this was 2003/4 or so).

@Ocoka is right: focus on what you want to do. It can be done (enlisted SOF-to-MD), but if you choose to go officer, while rewarding and fulfilling blah blah blah, you have different options.
Thanks, this is really encouraging.

You want SOF right away? then enlist.
You want it down the road, go OCS and take your chances.
What is your current major?
After doing my research and deliberating I've decided to enlist. OCS, while enticing, doesn't fit with my goals as well. I'm currently a geography major at a large state university. A little off topic: I'm really interested in political geography and geopolitics but unfortunately academic geography is mostly (annoying) critical theory and your garden variety humanities major. It's a little disappointing and if I could do it again I'd do history.

Teufel

Force Recon
Verified SOF
If SOF is more important to you than medical school, do it now. If the opposite is true then act accordingly. Life gets in the way of personal plans sometimes and you never know what will happen between now and 30.

ecag

Army
Verified Military
The only thing I can say with my limited experience is, if you want to do the job more enlisting is the way to go. If your degree is more important and commisioning matters, go OCS.