What should a woman know before going to BUD/S?

Inanna

Unverified
What should a woman know or prepare herself for if she’s trying to join the SEALs?

LeadSled1

Gunners Mate
Verified Military
Sand. The sand will get everywhere, especially 1st phase. No matter if it is having a bad barracks inspection at BEQ 618 and being sent to get wet and sandy, laying in the surf while the waves shove it up your pants, hydrographic recon, or getting rolled in surf passage. People prepare for a lot of things, most don’t expect the sand. You will be uncomfortable, every day. Understand that and put your best foot forward. The rest is out there on the web and pretty common to find. Good luck and research well.

Arf

SWCC
Verified SOF
SSMP
SOF Mentor
Sand. The sand will get everywhere, especially 1st phase. No matter if it is having a bad barracks inspection at BEQ 618 and being sent to get wet and sandy, laying in the surf while the waves shove it up your pants, hydrographic recon, or getting rolled in surf passage. People prepare for a lot of things, most don’t expect the sand. You will be uncomfortable, every day. Understand that and put your best foot forward. The rest is out there on the web and pretty common to find. Good luck and research well.

I wanted to say this is good word, however could you please post an introduction for yourself so that we can understand what your experiences are within the Navy?

What should a woman know or prepare herself for if she’s trying to join the SEALs?

My advice honestly is to convince yourself mentally that you are a man and that you will not be treated any better than your brothers suffering next to you. I only say this because your post specifically asks what advice we have for women.

I applaud a woman with the ambition to go for it. I would say the biggest hurdle “as a woman” you have is mentally releasing society’s social norm and prepare to be treated like the boys.

Otherwise, as a generic BUD/S candidate, just like every other man or woman hopeful, I invite you to check out my posts which would be extremely relevant to you.

Last edited:

w0lfLars0n

SWCC
Verified SOF
Honestly, I would say the best thing you could do is to go into it understanding that you WILL be targeted...but fairly. One of the concerns with implementing the addition of female candidates to special operations election courses is that they would receive unequal pressure in an attempt to get rid of them. However, I think it would be fair to assume that, being one of the first females through BUD/S, or BCT for that matter, there will be an army of formal observers throughout every step of the training.
But the biggest thing to realize and accept is that you will be targeted, the same as every single other candidate in your class. That is the entire purpose of the instructors' jobs: to watch, analyze, and assess for weakness, and then jam their fingers into the cut (figuratively, of course). EVERYONE gets targeted. It's just part of the game. I think one of the single most damaging things a female candidate could do to their cause would be blaming their disqualification on sexism or misogyny. Accept that they will test your weaknesses, because women are generally weaker than men in upper body strength. The same way I trailed the back of the goon squad on every run surrounded by instructors telling me to DOR while the pickup truck nipping at my heels blasted Enya over the megaphone. Just come to terms with your eventual limelight of misery but don't use it as an excuse.