Will President Trump Break SOF

Discussion in 'Special Operations Discussion' started by CDG, Dec 28, 2016.

1. CDG

CDG Mittens Verified Military

SSMP:
    SOF Mentor
    New article from The Atlantic that talks about some of the things PE Trump has been saying about his intended plan for ISIL, and how those plans could lead to serious blowback effects on the SOF community.

I don't think SOF is going to break, it's just that the strategy team is going to have to prioritize. They can't just try and throw SOF at every problem. Eventually you're out of dudes to send to the next spot, and out of resources. So it's less a matter of breaking, and more a matter of being utilized properly for a well-prioritized mission list.

Will Trump Break the Special Forces?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Red Flag 1

Red Flag 1 Cleared to pass gas, use big needles,& other stuff Moderating Staff

I can't see him breaking SOF. He will have good advice whispered into his ears.

ETA: Just look at who he chose as Sec of Def.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Viper1

Viper1 Special Forces Verified SOF

#IamTylerMac Blunting the Tip of the Spear: What The SECDEF Really Said, And What It Will Cost.

This was written a year ago and republished recently on Havok Journal. If you don't want to break SOF or the rest of the military, Congress should get off their collective duff and actually declare a war instead of this "yearly sequestration" BS. SOF is not a panacea, and contrary to popular belief SOF is not appropriate in all situations. Drone strikes work, SOF raids work, small units work, SF JCETS works, massive invasion works but if it is all used haphazardly without a sense of strategy or end state, then we're just throwing spaghetti against the wall.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
  4. DA SWO

DA SWO SOWT Verified SOF

You can argue that SOF is already broken.
    What's the retention rate at the 12 year point?
    Spineless Commanders broke the tip to get another promotion.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Marauder06

Marauder06 Intel Enabler Moderating Staff

SSMP:
    Support Mentor
    This is just another scaremongering "Trump is going to BREAK ALL THE THINGS" article designed to sow fear and panic about the upcoming administration. SOF has been "strained" since 9/11. It will continue to be strained. But it's getting bigger, and better, and the National Security Advisor nominee served at the highest levels of SOF, and the SECDEF nominee has more than a passing familiarity. SOF is going to be fine.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Devildoc

Devildoc Verified Military

Chicken Little Syndrome, always happens at the turn of a new administration. Over-deployed, under-manned forces that often are mistreated a la round peg in a square hole? Like that hasn't been the case for the past several years.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Etype

Etype Special Forces Verified SOF

Oh geez, it's Sean Naylor.

He lost me at the subtitle. Who is he talking about who is, "already on the verge of burnout"?

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. SpaceshipDoorGunner

SpaceshipDoorGunner SOT-A Verified SOF Support

From my little perspective, it would seem the reason for low retention has a lot more to do with what happens in between deployments, changes to quality of life at the unit, etc..

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Centermass

Centermass Ranger Verified SOF

It's ok now to finally say ISIS.

Say it with me - ICE - SIS.....just like that. See? That wasn't so hard now, was it? :D

• Like Like x 2
  10. Etype

Etype Special Forces Verified SOF

Just as long as we don't have anymore non-Arabic speakers trying to church up DASH.

• Like Like x 2
  11. CDG

CDG Mittens Verified Military

SSMP:
    SOF Mentor
    I could tell you why it should be pronounced ISIL and not ISIS, but you aren't read in. Just trust me though. And don't ask questions.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

• Like Like x 7
  12. Ocoka

Ocoka Combined Action Verified Military

SOF don't break.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Teufel

Teufel Force Recon Verified SOF

SOF personnel generally don't quit. Until they do. Everyone, except Admiral Stockdale, has a breaking point. It's hard to balance what's good for the nation with what's going to keep your family from imploding.

• Like Like x 9
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. Ocoka

Ocoka Combined Action Verified Military

Rog that, sir. I'm sure you got the spirit of my remark. "Everyone, except Admiral Stockade..." :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. DasBoot

DasBoot Ranger Verified SOF

Points for the admiral Stockdale reference, sir.

• Agree Agree x 4