23 October 1983 USMC

Rest In Peace, my Brothers and know that you have not and will not be forgotten!

Semper Fidelis......

Battalion Landing Team 1/8 from Lejeune. I was in the NC ANG at the time, going apeshit wishing the whole 2MARDIV would go on a revenge rampage.

th-2.jpeg

Beirut Memorial On Line - Beirut KIA

There was fundamental idiocy here that these Marines, Soldiers and Sailors paid for with their lives: Perimeter guards in a proven hostile AO who were forbidden to have loaded weapons; An entire BLT housed in the same structure; and using Marine infantry--traditional assault troops--as a peacekeeping force.

Thanks @Ooh-Rah for the bump, even though it lit my fires.

My father had retired from the Corps by this point but we were in Jacksonville just a day or two after this to visit friends and family. The grief was palpable. The town and base were in shock. I have never seen anything like it.

I was there on the anniversary in 2010 and some local Embassy employees talked about that day. The local Christians felt like they let us down.

Visit the Beirut monument if you are in the Camp Geiger area. Real nice.

We were there in February on our way through to the beach. It is quite nice, and quite sobering.

We had been away from Camp Lejeune at that point for a few years, but we still had friends around, knew a couple families who lost husbands and fathers that day.

My dad had passed away by then, but given we still had family and friends in Jacksonville and at Lejeune, we went down several times a year. My mom and I went down a few days after, maybe a week, the entire town and base were just so sad and somber.

Lejeune Blvd/Hwy 24 was just littered with flowers and signs and stuff, pretty much from TT1 all the way to Swansboro. The remnants of some of those tributes lasted for years before time took them. It was just so profoundly sad.

Turns out a couple of the Marines who died had been junior Marines under may dad in the early 70s.

I was 14 and it was my first reality check that the world was a scary place and not at all like the small Minnesota town I was growing up in.
I was 30, commanding a Special Forces detachment in Bad Toelz...we sorta started to spin up, but then stood down almost as quickly...BTW, thanks for making me feel old...;-)

Back