75th Anniversary of D-Day

...this idyllic Berkshire village where – unknown to its residents – 150 Americans received and analysed vital covert intelligence from France ahead of the Allied invasion on June 6.

For almost 75 years there was only one clue to Station Victor, a radio centre run by the secret intelligence branch of the American Office of Strategic Services (OSS).

That was the words ‘Staff Only’ in white paint on a door in a ramshackle building full of farm machinery and memories.

Idyllic English village that played host to D-Day's last great secret

Last edited:
Image result for 101st airborne face paint meme

Iconic pic of members of the Filthy 13 (roughly about whom the story of the Dirty Dozen came from), a demo unit tasked with sabotage. My uncle was a combat engineer with the 101st Abn in WWII and did similar job, made every jump. @Red Ryder , he did not talk about it either, at all, until he was fairly close to death in the early 2000s. I wish I had an opportunity to talk with him more and write his 'story.'

Not a pilot. I don’t know the correct way to refer to him but he was a paratrooper and then moved to gliders.

My pardon, I saw the glider badge on his uniform, but realize he was "assigned or attached" to a glider unit. A lot US Glider guys were paratroopers. Still, the men in the "Flying Coffins", brave men just to be in them.

Back