Advice

JMF

Unverified
I'm a 24 year old student interested in serving but I'm an unsure of the correct route to choose.

I left university almost 3 years ago with the intention of attending bud's. After receiving my SO contract, i was disqualified at the end of boot camp for having the trait for sickle cell (SCT), which is (sometimes)* disqualifying for bud's. I'm now back in school but after recently visiting my buddies in Coronado i'm fired up again. I'm racially ambiguous, well traveled and I am studying Arabic and Russian which are a few reasons that I would like to work for an intelligence agency.

That being said, the positions I would like to apply for, require competitive applicants to have a special operations background along with other requirements such as languages and a degree. I am highly doubtful i'll be able to receive a waiver for bud's but I am seriously considering the CCT program. As far as I am aware, SCT is not a disqualifier for the Air Force and they (AFSOC) have an important job just like all the other branches. I understand each branch serves a different purpose that supports the whole but It would be greatly appreciated if someone could share some information as to whether this is the correct decision. I'm not looking at these communities as stepping stones, if that is what it seems like; it is more a case of looking for an environment that can teach me the skills and traits required of an individual that is capable of working in high stress, high responsibility situations.

Just want to make it clear that I know nothing. I'm only hear to learn.

* I say sometimes because I have heard of guys who attended bud's with the trait. I am unaware of how they were able to get through medical at great lakes though.

I'm a 24 year old student interested in serving but I'm an unsure of the correct route to choose.

I left university almost 3 years ago with the intention of attending bud's. After receiving my SO contract, i was disqualified at the end of boot camp for having the trait for sickle cell (SCT), which is (sometimes)* disqualifying for bud's. I'm now back in school but after recently visiting my buddies in Coronado i'm fired up again. I'm racially ambiguous, well traveled and I am studying Arabic and Russian which are a few reasons that I would like to work for an intelligence agency.

That being said, the positions I would like to apply for, require competitive applicants to have a special operations background along with other requirements such as languages and a degree. I am highly doubtful i'll be able to receive a waiver for bud's but I am seriously considering the CCT program. As far as I am aware, SCT is not a disqualifier for the Air Force and they (AFSOC) have an important job just like all the other branches. I understand each branch serves a different purpose that supports the whole but It would be greatly appreciated if someone could share some information as to whether this is the correct decision. I'm not looking at these communities as stepping stones, if that is what it seems like; it is more a case of looking for an environment that can teach me the skills and traits required of an individual that is capable of working in high stress, high responsibility situations.

Just want to make it clear that I know nothing. I'm only hear to learn.

* I say sometimes because I have heard of guys who attended bud's with the trait. I am unaware of how they were able to get through medical at great lakes though.
So, you're considering trying to get into a SOF team in order to work for an intelligence agency later in life as your end goal?

I would start with "what mission set do you want to do"? I have seen a LOT of people fail in my respective pipeline- 2 years is a long time to hold on to, "I want to work as an intel guy at a three letter agency at some point!" as your motivation to succeed, you know?

All SOF selection programs are hard and require a lot of focus and sacrifice. I know it isn't your intent, but your post kind of makes it look like you're asking, "Which one is the easiest to support a secondary goal of mine".

Sooooo, none of them? There has to be a better way to get what you need for your intelligence agency goals than trying out for a SOF team of any flavor. Just my $0.02.

Back