Anzac Day 100th

CQB

Australian SOF
Verified SOF
A beautiful dawn service at Bondi Beach, followed by the march. In the interim, a semi-formal ceremony in Martin Place at the Commando cairn. Xanana Gusmao, ex president of East Timor gave a speech and personally thanked all the diggers there, moving through the ranks and shaking each mans hand in turn. An acknowledgment of the shared history with the 2/2 & 2/4 Independant Rifle Companies who fought a guerrilla campaign in his country in 1942.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 22
A beautiful dawn service at Bondi Beach, followed by the march. In the interim, a semi-formal ceremony in Martin Place at the Commando cairn. Xanana Gusmao, ex president of East Timor gave a speech and personally thanked all the diggers there, moving through the ranks and shaking each mans hand in turn. An acknowledgment of the shared history with the 2/2 & 2/4 Independant Rifle Companies who fought a guerrilla campaign in his country in 1942.

Nice Pic I. Is that you in the red coat?:rolleyes: We forgot to send Pardus his AnZac Biscuits this year.... we keep Golden Syrup on hand just for that reason.

To all the fallen ANZ soldiers, may you rest easy and feast in Valhalla.

Ha! Golden Syrup, you're good! :p2/2 & 2/4 fought for two years in Timor & no-one knew they were there as they had no Comms. Their holding out led to the formation of M&Z Forces and later post WW2 to the Australian commando companies.

2/2 & 2/4 fought for two years in Timor & no-one knew they were there as they had no Comms.

They eventually scrounged up enough radio parts to make a radio. The guy who made it was family to a mate of mine who I served in Timor with.
They called the radio, Winnie the war winner.

The first communication between Sparrow Force and Northern Force Headquarters in Darwin was:

Sparrow Force: "Sparrow Force Timor calling Northern Force Headquarters Darwin. Anyone there, over?"
Northern Force Headquarters: "Who are you?"
Sparrow Force: "Jack Sargeant."
Northern Force Headquarters: "Do you know George Parker?"
Sparrow Force: "Yes, he is with us."
Northern Force Headquarters: "What is his rank? Answer immediately."
Sparrow Force: "Captain."
Northern Force Headquarters: "Is he there? Bring him to the transmitter. (Pause.) What is the street number of your house?"
Sparrow Force: "94."
Northern Force Headquarters: "What is your wife’s name, Jack?"
Sparrow Force: "Kathleen."
Northern Force Headquarters: "This is Northern Force Headquarters. Sparrow Force, what is your situation?"
Sparrow Force: "Force intact. Still fighting. Badly need boots, quinine, money, and Tommy-gun ammunition."
Northern Force Headquarters: "Will action immediately."

I saw the ANZAC address live here & thought John Keys' speech the standout. Maybe it was the delivery, command voice, command presence and all that.
Again, Attaturks words were spoken, this time by a Turkish officer, this time I genuinely shed a tear. It's still the most moving thing I've ever read.

“Those heroes that shed their blood

And lost their lives.

You are now lying in the soil of a friendly country.

Therefore, rest in peace.

There is no difference between the Johnnies

And the Mehmets to us where they lie side by side

Here in this country of ours,

You, the mothers,

Who sent their sons from far away countries

Wipe away your tears,

Your sons are now lying in our bosom

And are in peace

After having lost their lives on this land they have

Become our sons as well”.

Unfortunately due to a shift change I didn't manage to get in the dawn parade. I was originally scheduled to go with work. I wanted to hit the Attaturk Memorial service (which is a Turkish service I understand) but again, no bueno thanks to work schedule. :/

Spoke to the Aussie soldiers leaving this morning and they said it was a really good service. Good drinks too going by the look of them ha ha ha ha

Finished up yesterday by watching the last third of this mini series. It's still pretty good 30 years down the track.

51nMwrt3EIL._SY300_.jpg

Finished up yesterday by watching the last third of this mini series. It's still pretty good 30 years down the track.

That really is an excellent mini series. I couldn't get a DVD to play here, but thankfully I found it on youtube and got to watch it again recently.

Back