Aspiring 18D

Blue11B

Unverified
This will be my first post all, I am a former Infantryman and current EMT in a pretty busy system and I think it is time to go for it. Ill just cut to the the question though. I am wondering if there is a way to steer command to assign me to a certain group. For example, if I know some French or Arabic, would I be more likely to be assigned to 3rd or 5th group ? Im told there is a language aptitude test that might dictate where I go. Also, has anyone heard of someone getting selected only to find out that they wont be an 18D and have to be another MOS because of the Army's needs? I have extensive knowledge in medicine and I know that is my path.

You should know by now that the needs of the service override EVERYTHING. The only reason I can speak a little about this is because. I joined the Army in '79 with an H4 (currently 18x ?) enlistment option. Half way through AIT they announced a request for volunteers for another program. You do know what "voluntold" is right?

This will be my first post all, I am a former Infantryman and current EMT in a pretty busy system and I think it is time to go for it. Ill just cut to the the question though. I am wondering if there is a way to steer command to assign me to a certain group. For example, if I know some French or Arabic, would I be more likely to be assigned to 3rd or 5th group ? Im told there is a language aptitude test that might dictate where I go. Also, has anyone heard of someone getting selected only to find out that they wont be an 18D and have to be another MOS because of the Army's needs? I have extensive knowledge in medicine and I know that is my path.

I will cite one anecdote I know of personally and will tread lightly because I know about as much of the process as I do nuclear physics. A good friend of mine wanted to be a Bravo, initially assigned Bravo, switched to Charlie. As turns out he loved being a Charlie, and he never found out exactly why his orders were changed (presumably 'needs of the Army'). Beyond this one incident I haven't a clue.

I haven't been through the process so, similar to @Devildoc, my understanding of this may not extend pass the NG, let alone my unit within 19th.

According to my SWTD NCOIC, SF prospects can be sent with a locked in MOS, based on what slots are available or needed in the teams.
If the company is full up on 18D but are short on 18C, that's what guys will get sent with the goal of becoming.
I do not know if this is applicable anywhere else outside the guard or 19th, so do not expect it.

@DeadZeppelin can give more insight.

So, this probably needs to be said. You're an EMT. That's great. It's a fantastic start to a career in prehospital care, and working in a busy system will help you gain experience.

However, if you think that constitutes 'extensive knowledge in medicine' you're going to get steamrolled in any advanced medical training. I don't think any of the medical providers on this site, even the 18Ds, would lay claim to 'extensive knowledge in medicine'. I certainly don't, and I've been practicing for... well, awhile.

So, this probably needs to be said. You're an EMT. That's great. It's a fantastic start to a career in prehospital care, and working in a busy system will help you gain experience.

However, if you think that constitutes 'extensive knowledge in medicine' you're going to get steamrolled in any advanced medical training. I don't think any of the medical providers on this site, even the 18Ds, would lay claim to 'extensive knowledge in medicine'. I certainly don't, and I've been practicing for... well, awhile.
Ok.... compared to an 18x wanting to be an 18d with no medical knowledge.

If you happen to make it to SFAS and are selected, you will put down your preference of MOS and Group assignment. There are no guarantees. Needs of the Regiment come first. If you can't live with the prospect of not getting 18D, then don't try.. Odds are slim you will make it anyways.

Things work different in the Guard, but the search feature can enlighten you about that.

Paging a reality check, reality check to the white courtesy phone, please.

@x SF med

You guys are doing great in your answers.

@Blue11B … If you want to be SF, you have to accept the MOS you get... I started out as a Bravo, and was voluntold by my SGM, and all of the company medics that I was going to reclass to 18D. SGM then told me if I failed the reclass, I was going to the airplane gang. (then)CPT Warner D. Farr was my 300-F-1 instructor... a former SF Medic, turned doctor... he recently retired as the SOCOM surgeon.

There is a huge failure rate in the 18D program... former civilian EMTs are not immune, IIRC, their attrition rate is slightly higher than those who have no previous medical training, mainly due to attitude that they know more coming in... Accept the firehose, relish the firehose, else you will drown. (this goes for any training, not just 18D).

There is an inactive member here who was one of those who had a hand in getting me reclassed, not as an instructor, but as one of the medics on my Team... he retired as a SF WO5.

In response to your 1st question as to steering yourself to get to a specific group. My answer would be you can try, but as stated before needs of the Army override all. I went through with a friend who is Mexican and speaks fluent Spanish. He was also an arabic studies major in college and spoke a bit of arabic. The all knowing powers that be assigned him Mandarin Chinese and off to 1st group he went.

I was slightly conversational in Spanish and really wanted 7th group. On my wish at SFAS list I listed 7th group as my top 3 choices. I was assigned Pashto, no big deal that was one of the smaller 7th group languages...there was still a chance! Just before language started a large majority of my class had their languages changed. I was informed that I would now be learning Russian...and I was assigned to 1st group.....Im a firm believer that everything happens for a reason, and I throughly enjoyed my time and wouldn't change it if I had a chance. So, long story short, you can try all you want to steer yourself into a group, but as my daughter says, you get what you get, and you don't throw a fit!

If you happen to make it to SFAS and are selected, you will put down your preference of MOS and Group assignment. There are no guarantees. Needs of the Regiment come first. If you can't live with the prospect of not getting 18D, then don't try.. Odds are slim you will make it anyways.

Things work different in the Guard, but the search feature can enlighten you about that.

I was curious about this. So after selection the candidates DO get to "have a preference". Did you get yours? I'm from a very cold climate so cold weather schools and winter warfare appeal to me, am I naive to think that I could make a case for 10th group in that way? I also spoke to a former 18D who said he was first assigned to be an echo but he made a case (college grad, EMT) and they gave him delta.

But, I should know better. I suppose I should just bend over and relax and just let it all happen...

I was curious about this. So after selection the candidates DO get to "have a preference". Did you get yours? I'm from a very cold climate so cold weather schools and winter warfare appeal to me, am I naive to think that I could make a case for 10th group in that way? I also spoke to a former 18D who said he was first assigned to be an echo but he made a case (college grad, EMT) and they gave him delta.

But, I should know better. I suppose I should just bend over and relax and just let it all happen...

Growing up in a cold climate won't matter, you put your preferences and hope you get what you want. Needs of the Regiment come first.

Back