Building Maturity

Crusty

Unverified
18 year old Army SF (18x) wannabe. I have a very good work ethic, athletically and academically. I have what it takes on paper, but I have slight hesitation that is preventing me from committing to it and giving it my all just yet. For starters, I'm still a kid. When you look at certain people regardless of whether or not they are SF, you can just tell they are a badass. When you look at me, people don't think "Navy SEAL Green Beret". The few people who don't know me very well that Ive told just laugh when I tell them my goals, but those who do fully believe I have what it takes, as do I. Now, I am not saying I want people to think I am a badass, or that I give two f**** whether Joes Shmoe thinks I have what it takes or not. I fully recognize that there will be no recognition for my work and it is entirely intrinsic. I feel that coming from an extremely white-privileged lifestyle, I haven't had to overcome the adversities that others have. This builds the life skills necessary to be successful. I did have my supportive family and athletics to give me some boost.

I want to join Special Forces more than anything in the world, and am prepared to do whatever it takes; however, I don't want to screw myself by blowing my chances and going for it when I haven't built the skillsets I need to be fully successful.

Hope this makes sense as I am having a hard time putting this into words.

I am currently in an advanced Doctorate of Physical Therapy 3+3 program as a freshman.

18 year old Army SF (18x) wannabe.

Please explain these two quotes. How are you 18 and in a Doctorate program? Does this mean you get your bachelor’s in 3 years and then are pushed straight into your graduate school?

Personally, I think that you should finish your bachelors, then join. You don’t have to join as an officer, there are a lot of SEAL and SWCC who enlisted with their bachelors.

You will come in with better rank, more maturity, more respect, and your bachelor’s is finished.

I would say hold off on graduate school because you will join the military and never have any time practicing in your field as a PT. I wouldn’t say your degree would be wasted, but you won’t be working as a PT in the military unless you commission as a PT specifically.
The only problem I see with going back to graduate school after the military is that science classes have to be retaken after 7 years as a pre-req for graduate schools. You may have to take some classes over if you decide to continue later.

Last edited:
Please explain these two quotes. How are you 18 and in a Doctorate program? Does this mean you get your bachelors in 3 years and then are pushed straight into your graduate school?

yes, freshman at one university, studying for my bachelor's of science, graduate in 3 years, then 3 years of graduate school where I would earn my Doctorate of Physical Therapy upon completion. I interviewed for the spot, 1 of 4, and as long as I meet certain requirements, I am guaranteed a spot at school number 2. I am in my first year of college (freshman)

second quote, I want to become a Green Beret, and would like to go through the 18x pipeline, and am 18 years old

“I want to become a Green Beret, and would like to go through the 18x pipeline, and am 18 years old”

I understood the 18x part. Thank you for clarifying the Doctorate program part. I added more to my original comment.

“I want to become a Green Beret, and would like to go through the 18x pipeline, and am 18 years old”

I understood the 18x part. Thank you for clarifying the Doctorate program part. I added more to my original comment.

thank you for the help and input! it is much appreciated. I see what you are saying about holding off. It certainly has its advantages. Everyone in my family has gone to college and I would be the first in a long line not to. Certainly you can still be succecseeful, smart, and everything without a degree, but its something to take into consideration. My only concern is that the last three years will be way easier as it is all clinical, which means I will find more enjoyment, and will be tempted to stay.

18 year old Army SF (18x) wannabe. I have a very good work ethic,

(rest of post)

Hope this makes sense as I am having a hard time putting this into words.

I want to make sure the board understands because I doubt I'm the only one who is confused.

- You want to be an 18X?
- You are also going for a Doctorate in Physical Therapy?

Assuming those are both "yes", I see a few problems.
1) If you drop out you'll lose your slot in the program, correct?
2) If you finish this advanced degree and then go in as an 18X, where does that put you with your degree when you get out? What are the long term consequences for finishing your degree and then not working in that field for 4-6 years or more?

I'm not saying the two goals are mutually exclusive, but I'm trying to understand how choosing one (18X) isn't to the detriment of the other (PT).

AWP,
You are absolutely right. I want to be a PT, but I’d rather be a soldier. I am not sure if I will want to be a PT when I get out of the military. I would sacrifice PT slot to become 18x

2) If you finish this advanced degree and then go in as an 18X, where does that put you with your degree when you get out? What are the long term consequences for finishing your degree and then not working in that field for 4-6 years or more?

With any medical field there is constant continuing education and testing for license renewals, not to mention that you will forget a lot, even if you land an 18D (Special Forces Medical Sergeant) slot. That being said, if you finish your bachelor’s, join up, become 18D and then decide to get out, you will be at a good place to continue onto graduate school in the medical field.

There are lots of SF guys on here, I’m sure one of them is an 18D.☺️

Last edited:
@Crusty I would recommend you finish your bachelor's degree and then join. You will gain more maturity, and have a degree if you decide to join. If not you'll still be set up to continue your PT program, hell you could even try and get a job at THOR3 as a PT for SF guys.

Don't let anyone get in your head, if they laugh then prove them wrong. They are probably laughing cause they are insecure about themselves anyways. If you looked at 90% of guys in SOF when they were 18 you wouldn't think they looked like anyone special.

And c'mon dude, white privilege? Don't take everything you learn in college as gospel.

Last edited:
The few people who don't know me very well that Ive told just laugh when I tell them my goals, but those who do fully believe I have what it takes, as do I.

No one took me seriously until I got to boot camp. There were still doubters until I finished selection. Don’t listen to what others think, when you make it nothing anyone said in the past will matter. Once you get to Basic, you will be surrounded with people with goals similar to yourself, and you will be right at home.

In your opinion, should I go straight in through the 18x pipeline at 19 years old?
Should I decide to do it, nothing and no one will be able to stop me from getting there. Having like minded individuals in the room woth me is only going to push me further.

Haha I meant white privelage in being that I never had to worry about food, safety, any of that stuff. My family life is very good and I live an otherwise normal life.

Haha I meant white privelage in being that I never had to worry about food, safety, any of that stuff. My family life is very good and I live an otherwise normal life.
Forgive the thread drift, but what you describe is not what “white privilege” is considered to be. You are literally saying that your happy childhood was due to your being white. Please look into some of these terms you guys get indoctrinated with in school these days.

My bad, what I meant was I am fairly privileged, not bc of my race but bc of my parents and the lifestyle they allow me to live and such. My bad

In your opinion, should I go straight in through the 18x pipeline at 19 years old?
Should I decide to do it, nothing and no one will be able to stop me from getting there. Having like minded individuals in the room woth me is only going to push me further.

Wait to join up until you finish your bachelor’s.

That seems to be the consensus. Only concern is that I’ll be 3 years away from a doctorate at that point. Those last three years will be easier, more rewarding, and less grueling than my current three years.

I promise you, you will wish you had finished your bachelor’s degree prior to joining up. Getting all that General Ed in would be maddening if you are trying to do it while you are in the military (unless you leave the military 6 years later to go back to school.)

I joined up after an associate’s degree and I wished I would have finished the bachelor’s first. It’s not impossible but it is a giant pain to get it done while you are in.

Once you start that PT Doctorate though, you might as well commission and join up as a PT.

I believe you'd need an age waiver for 18x, I am pretty sure you have to be 21 or 21 by the time you go to Selection to get an 18x contract. I know you think you'll do amazing and crush everything, and even in the off chance that is true, it's likely that you'll be a non select because of your age.

Is it possible to get selected if you're that young? Yes it is if you're mature. I don't know you, so I can't say but your maturity levels go up a lot after you do some college.

My recommendation is to get you bachelor's and then join.

I thought there was an age requirement, but hadn’t seen it anywhere for a while. I agree that college builds discipline and leads to maturity. I am confident I’d be successful, but it seems like the best way to go about it would be to wait a few years.

My bad, what I meant was I am fairly privileged, not bc of my race but bc of my parents and the lifestyle they allow me to live and such. My bad

Don't apologize or be embarrassed by a great childhood, your parents most likely worked very hard to give it to you. If you ever make it through the course and deploy with SF, you will see that most of us are privileged just to be Americans. A bad upbringing in the states beats any type of childhood in most other countries. Plenty of affluent children have turned into great soldiers and leaders to include some in the SF community. Understand where you came from, know your operational environment, and empathize with people whenever you can. I agree with what others have said if you can finish college, do it! If not, no worries. While it's not as easy, the Army's tuition assistance does allow you to gain a Bachelors's and Masters's degree as long as you have SLC/WOAC done. But I would argue if you don't have the maturity to finish the college program you're probably in for a rough time in the Q-course. Set goals, and reach them. Neither course of action that you have talked about have to be mutually exclusive, but they will each open up different types of doors and opportunities. Good luck

Back